YOUR IN A DRUM BATTLE WITH BUDDY RICH/WHATS YOUR PLAN TO SURVIVE!

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Go half time, quiet, and play something that is actually interesting.

This is always the way to compete against powerhouses. After they come at you like a locomotive, you climb on your unicycle and delight the audience with simpler but more interesting entertainment.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Play a rock/pop song with matched grip. He'll get so repulsed he won't even engage. Win...

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Max made the fatal error of trying to hang with chops.
Yea there’s a couple of spots where he seems to break apart. Also the drums are uncharacteristic. Low tuning. It must have been a moist day! I think that really disrupts some of his ideas. He’s used to phrases with space but the thuddy drums don’t help that.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of the very early Modern Drummer Festivals in NJ had Kenny Aronoff following a very young 26 year old Dave Weckl. Weckl, as was expected, blew the doors down with a staggering opening drum solo integrating the tune Rumble into the set. We were all floored. Now comes Kenny. Can he do the same, we all suspected not. But where we thought Kenny was going to be embarrassed or intimidated turned out to be intelligence beyond our expectations. What Kenny did was so completely 180 degrees from Dave that he too floored the house. Kenny came out and proceeded to demonstrate simplistic rock grooves with such swing and feeling that they were infectious. No theatrics! No lightning speed! No rapid intricate licks! Just pure unadulterated simplistic FEELING GROOVE. That is exactly how you counteract a contest with Buddy.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Off topic, but I think Ed Shaughnessy kicked Buddy's ass.
Ed was a complete musician. He knew all the percussion instruments, including Indian percussion; read music and wrote music in both bass and treble clef. Shaughnessy was a very cool teacher also when I spent some time with him. Buddy on the other hand, was a phenom player who was so technically beyond what most of us find humanly possible. So, one guy is an all around musician and the other is an attraction. That said, they both had a place.

Talktotommy

Reaction score
Ed was a complete musician. He knew all the percussion instruments, including Indian percussion; read music and wrote music in both bass and treble clef. Shaughnessy was a very cool teacher also when I spent some time with him. Buddy on the other hand, was a phenom player who was so technically beyond what most of us find humanly possible. So, one guy is an all around musician and the other is an attraction. That said, they both had a place.
I like Ed a lot too. Never meant any disrespect to him. Just seemed like he got a little ahead of him self in a couple of spots on that clip with buddy.
The more I think about it personally I think I’d pull a Moonie and just smash my kit up and walk off.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My anonymity combined with my brutal slaughter leaves the world stunned. "Who was that?", they ask. "His name was Robert Paulson", someone replies. I go on to inspire an underground revolution that brings down the banking system and destroys the debt record. I win.

Last edited: