YOUR IN A DRUM BATTLE WITH BUDDY RICH/WHATS YOUR PLAN TO SURVIVE!

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Video is quite long, so jump to minute 23. Johnny Carson once set up Buddy with a drum set with a paper head on the floor tom.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buddy is soloing, I reach over and tell him, “Hey Buddy, the IRS just walked in and said they need to talk to you!!!” :laughing6:

Reactions: JDA

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Make sure my stick bag is fully loaded so I have plenty of ammo to throw at him.

• Haha

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I can’t imagine being faced with that task But I know three things.

1. better not try and outdo him on snare rudiments

2. Forget about trying to overwhelm him with speed because that’s what he does to everyone else
3. Forget about cymbal and hi hat technique as well
Ed Shaughnessy on the Tonight Show drum battle with Rich tried to match the speed and flubbed up a couple times.
Krupa never tried to match the speed in their battles, but rather went with clever rhythms and phrases that didn’t require blazing speed.
I think I call in sick.
I think Max Roach did well. He responded as himself

KingLudwig

Reaction score
The only chance I would have to keep up is to do what he does but slower & cleaner. Then I would blastbeat him off the stage! All my sets are double bass!

Monday317

Reaction score
I

2. Forget about trying to overwhelm him with speed because that’s what he does to everyone else
Ed Shaughnessy on the Tonight Show drum battle with Rich tried to match the speed and flubbed up a couple times.
Krupa never tried to match the speed in their battles, but rather went with clever rhythms and phrases that didn’t require blazing speed.
I think I call in sick.
Hire Louie Bellson to stand in for me. Otherwise, it’s immediate surrender and plea for mercy.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
walk in and say " Bud. Where do I set up the tabla?"

wherein, Bud tries to convert the entire nation of India to 2/4.

Last edited:

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buddy is soloing, I reach over to tell him, “hey Buddy, Dusty Springfield just walked through the door and she’s here to sing a number, but wants to know if you know any good drummers?” o_O

• Haha

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think I call in sick.
Order a triple Martini and just sit back and listen.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Hire some thugs to run him off the road on the way to the show so he looks like the kid in Whiplash when he shows up. That won't be enough though. This is Buddy Rich, not some punk college kid. Have some respect. From there, a couple more goons will have to rough him up backstage. Maybe dress up like Batman and break his kneecaps. You know, the full treatment.
While all that is going on, I'd be disassembling all his gear. Every screw and bolt loosened to the last 1/8 of a thread turn. He can't play drums if there are no drums to play.
To top it all off, since we're reanimating corpses here, I'm paying Bruce Lee to sit in the front row to boo and heckle him to take his head and heart out of the game.

While he's sitting there beaten, broken and demoralized I'll cover Hero by Foo Fighters to let him know it's nothing personal. I'm just a bar band cover song hack trying to win a purely subjective competition with the GOAT, and I don't like losing.

fpatton

Reaction score
Oh! I know the answer to this one! When I was a youngster, and my drum teacher was telling me about BR for the first time, he told a story about Buddy getting into a drum battle with a drummer at a Vegas nightclub. (My impression was it wasn't anyone famous.) Buddy does his thing and then turns it over to the other guy. Rather than play on the drums, the other drummer starts playing everything BUT the drums - stands, stage, lights, then walks around the audience playing chairs and glasses. Everybody was floored, including Buddy. Several years later, though, Buddy shows up on The Muppet Show and does the same thing. I saw that and thought, "I know where he got that idea!"

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd play a modern style that he wouldn't have had a chance to hear or learn. When he attempted to emulate and mock, I'd win because he'd sound out of place and clumsy. *mic drop*

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The use of "Your In A Drum Battle..." in the headline shouldn't bother me as much as it does ...

Attachments

KenROP

Reaction score
Personally, I'd set a bottle of 18 year old Glenmorangie on his snare, congratulate him on a truly amazing career.....and go sit in the front row of the audience. As ol' Clint would say "A man's got to know his limitations"

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A
Oh! I know the answer to this one! When I was a youngster, and my drum teacher was telling me about BR for the first time, he told a story about Buddy getting into a drum battle with a drummer at a Vegas nightclub. (My impression was it wasn't anyone famous.) Buddy does his thing and then turns it over to the other guy. Rather than play on the drums, the other drummer starts playing everything BUT the drums - stands, stage, lights, then walks around the audience playing chairs and glasses. Everybody was floored, including Buddy. Several years later, though, Buddy shows up on The Muppet Show and does the same thing. I saw that and thought, "I know where he got that idea!"
Actually, that’s how Buddy started out. His father heard him hitting everything and anything around the house as a baby and knew he had talent, or at least rhythm, and that became Buddy’s early act in vaudeville.

Maybe that drummer heard that story and decided to copy Buddy! Pretty cool nonetheless!

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Since someone already mentioned blast beats, I gotta go with incorporating hybrid drums. All the way out of left-field, he'd never see it coming.