YOUR IN A DRUM BATTLE WITH BUDDY RICH/WHATS YOUR PLAN TO SURVIVE!

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Do I get to pick the battle format?

I'd bring a fiddle player and Steel Guitarist, set up a kick snare and hats for both of us, brush in right hand, stick in the left and say "we're playing shuffles for the next four hours...you in or out?" :)

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t imagine being faced with that task But I know three things.

1. better not try and outdo him on snare rudiments

2. Forget about trying to overwhelm him with speed because that’s what he does to everyone else
3. Forget about cymbal and hi hat technique as well
Ed Shaughnessy on the Tonight Show drum battle with Rich tried to match the speed and flubbed up a couple times.
Krupa never tried to match the speed in their battles, but rather went with clever rhythms and phrases that didn’t require blazing speed.
I think I call in sick.
I'd relay a message that his ex got another visit from another girl who wants child-support.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
I can’t imagine being faced with that task But I know three things.

1. better not try and outdo him on snare rudiments

2. Forget about trying to overwhelm him with speed because that’s what he does to everyone else
3. Forget about cymbal and hi hat technique as well
Ed Shaughnessy on the Tonight Show drum battle with Rich tried to match the speed and flubbed up a couple times.
Krupa never tried to match the speed in their battles, but rather went with clever rhythms and phrases that didn’t require blazing speed.
I think I call in sick.
I plan to place second.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, this would have to occur when Buddy was still alive, so my younger self just would have been himself.

I would have done my more or less standard rock drum solo, and Buddy would do his thing. Contrast and compare.

It would have the potential to be fun, if you let it.

XDrums

Reaction score
Why isn’t the saying you are in a drum battle with Tommy Lee what would you do to survive?

Perkdrum

Reaction score
If you don't have the chops, be more creative. If you got the chops, put him through the wood chipper.

robbie

Reaction score
Oh! I know the answer to this one! When I was a youngster, and my drum teacher was telling me about BR for the first time, he told a story about Buddy getting into a drum battle with a drummer at a Vegas nightclub. (My impression was it wasn't anyone famous.) Buddy does his thing and then turns it over to the other guy. Rather than play on the drums, the other drummer starts playing everything BUT the drums - stands, stage, lights, then walks around the audience playing chairs and glasses. Everybody was floored, including Buddy. Several years later, though, Buddy shows up on The Muppet Show and does the same thing. I saw that and thought, "I know where he got that idea!"
That's an old stunt, actually
....check out Barret Deems:

Last edited:

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My plan would be to slink away and wave the white flag of surrender before it even starts. OK, I'm a coward.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would paraphrase what Fats Waller once said at a gig when he was informed that Art Tatum was in the audience and wanted to play: "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm only the drummer. Today, God is in the house."