header.nohb.html

Your last impulse purchase

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I’ve seen lots of threads from items on order, wish lists and peoples favorite items but what was your last impulse purchase? Since the favorite hi hat clutch post I’ve been looking at those options interestingly…what was your last and are you happy with it?

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last impulse purchase I recall was a Sapele stave bop kit: 14x18, 14x14, 8x12. I thought the 8x12 shell was too thick, so I had some stave drum makers with a CNC machine make me matching 6x8, 7x10, 8x12 toms and a 6.5x13 snare. I'm happy with them in that I really like the way they sound but have only played out with them twice. So... I probably should have passed those by.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I just bought the new Rogers hi-hat stand today on a whim because I got a good deal. Didn't NEED it, but I kinda wanted another lightweight tripod with good action. Took it to rehearsal tonight. Other than the legs being difficult to fold up/down (needs some silicone lubricant or something), I like it. The legs rotate and the action is adjustable and smooth. Time will tell. I may pick up the throne, too, and put my Roc-n-Soc top on it.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yammie Stage Custom [email protected]$59 bucks.
1668658407393.jpeg

hsosdrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My last impulse drum purchase was this Zildjian 20" Take Five Reissue ride cymbal that I bought early this year. I didn't need another ride (I already had three) but fell in love. It now occupies the main ride position on my kit about 25% of the time. Definitely glad I bought it!

zenstat

Reaction score
My last impulse purchase was a 20" Sabian HH Manhattan Ride which weighs 1660g. Somebody I've bought cymbals from before emailed me after it didn't sell on a local site and asked if I would be interested. I decided it would be a useful addition to my set of light 20" cymbals for sonic comparison. In no particular order it the 20" light set includes:

Craig Lauritsen J-Mood 1730g
UFIP 1950s 1725g
UFIP 1950s 1675g
A Ziljdian & Cie Vintage 1790g from the 2010 Rarities year
A Zildjian Trans Stamp T3 1873g

I've got a number of more medium 20" cymbals running from 1990g late 50s A Zildjian example, to an A Zildjian Medium Ride from the 80s at 2434g, and a gap before the heaviest which is an A Zildjian Mini Cup ride with a 70s stamp at 3180g! I've got Turkish and European and American a few Chinese made, plus the one Canadian.

The goal is to prepare a set of blind listening tests to explore how people perceive various cymbals, and what terms they use to describe them. Say smokey for example

I've got completely hand made cymbals, cymbals with a mix of power hammer and hand hammering, and cymbals with various modern technologies trying to emulate some of the cymbals from the 1950s. I've also got B20 and B15 examples. This is also repeated in 18" and 22" diameters. This research project allows me to buy cymbals I don't necessarily need or plan to use, but I get them "for research purposes". ;-) It also means I mustn't sell any cymbals.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 2009 I was at Atomic Music outside of DC. I was getting ready to leave just as they put this on the floor, a "Coffin Case Company" drum hardware case. (I think that they only made these for a short time.) I thought that it was very cool, I bought it on the spot.

But...

It's a terrible hardware case. I used it only once as a drum hardware case because:

1.) It is ridiculously heavy.

2.) The odd shape is limiting as to what will fit inside.

3.) The odd shape also takes up a lot of space in your vehicle in relationship to how much it holds.

4.) Did I mention how stupidly heavy it is?

The good news is that I love Halloween.

A plastic skeleton "lives" in it. On Halloween I drag it out on my porch and aim a black light at it.

It is an excellent Halloween prop.

1668661882014.png

1668661913090.png

1668661939254.png

I rarely make impulse buys. This one worked out lousy as a piece of music related equipment, but I use it one day a year and love it.

Last edited:

mzd

Reaction score
Trying really hard to NOT impulse buy that ‘62 Slingerland kit in the marketplace.
I don’t need it. I want it, but I don’t need it.

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I snagged a Pearl Stavecraft last week for a steal and I’m really enjoying it. I haven’t experimented with many tunings yet (it’s cranked pretty high right now). I suspect it will have limited range, but man does it do loud-but-full very well.

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I snagged a Pearl Stavecraft last week for a steal and I’m really enjoying it. I haven’t experimented with many tunings yet (it’s cranked pretty high right now). I suspect it will have limited range, but man does it do loud-but-full very well.
Which wood did you get? What size?

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an easy one for me... this stunning British Drum Company Legend Birch beauty. I bought it here off the forum boards and even told the seller I really did not need it, I just WANTED it and would probably move it on one day. I owned it for exactly 3 days when a buddy dropped by and said "HOLY COW... WHAT IS THAT?". He fell in love more than I had and left with it, I did not even try to make anything, just told him what I had payed and he said please sell it to me! LOL! But glad I did buy the drum as it was the first time I could really scrutinize a BDC instrument, it is an amazing build quality!

20220929_213749.jpg

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Picked these up a couple weeks in a pawn shop because I’d never really tried Paiste hats and for $100 I assumed I can break even no problem if I don’t like them. I haven’t really reached a verdict yet on them. I like the closed sound, the opening sound lacks some body but thats kind of normal for 13”
AFA96B8C-394C-470F-A48F-3B00C56CA76A.jpeg

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My last impusl purchaes was a 6pack of Bock beer (7.2%) and boy am I pis... pils... pleaesd!! :love7:

On a more serious note - I recently bought a PDP New Yorker kit (14/10/13/16, not the Daru Jones version) in Pink Sparkle that was on sale at Thomann´s. And it´s a winner!

I had a Pearl Midtown that I sold because i never used the toms, got a Tama Club Jam Mini bass drum (18x7) instead (great!) and suddenly got GAS for a 4 piece again. Heck, for 360,- I couldn´t say no.

1668693178533.jpeg

And it goes so well with the carpet! :-D

bob e michael

DFO Master
Reaction score
i bought this 60's ludwig silver sparkle bass $190 c/w 2 brand new heads
the drum was painted black on the inside .... for the last week i've been stripping the inside
i finished yesterday , today or tomorrow i'll put it back together

Attachments

• silver.jpg
    silver.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 18
  • silver1.jpg
    silver1.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 17

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
1971 Sonor ferro manganese seamless 14x5(ish) snare . It has a thro similar to the old Gretsch Micro and an adjustable butt . 8 lugs are almost identical to Ludwig Imperials . I 'm 99.9 % sure this is the same as Buttrey's on the Neil Young Harvest album .

I wandered into Dave's Drums one afternoon unaware of the psychic forces waiting to ambush me .

its like this -

I

Last edited:

flippantminister

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i bought a couple of the discounted demo Inde Timbatoms and the Timba bass drum they put up on their site yesterday. i already have one timbatom i bought a few months back, and had been very curious how a kit would work... so now i guess i will find out! i love single-headed drums for recording, and i figure these will work well. we'll see, i look forward to making some demos!

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which wood did you get? What size?
6.5" Makha. They only had the 6.5" in makha, but they had the 5" in both oak and makha. I frankly couldn't discern much of a difference between the two woods in the shallower size, but I wanted the deeper option and find the darker grain more attractive, so it was an easy choice.