header.nohb.html

Your last impulse purchase

flippantminister

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Paiste 602 18" flat ride and a 20" Zildjian earth ride. Just because my dad always used both and it was a bit of nostalgia. I play metal mainly so they're really no use to me ( the earth ride is a possibility) but buy do I enjoy practicing with them.

Earth ride should be a great cymbal for metal!

RayB

Reaction score
I’ve seen lots of threads from items on order, wish lists and peoples favorite items but what was your last impulse purchase? Since the favorite hi hat clutch post I’ve been looking at those options interestingly…what was your last and are you happy with it?
Zildjian K Custom Hybrid pack: 21 ride, 17 crash and 14-1/4 hi hats. I have lots of other cymbals, didn't really need any more. I always liked the K Custom Hybrid 14-1/4 hats. Price keeps going up (now over $500).
Then I saw this pack offered on American Musical Supply with 12 month financing. American Musical Supply is not my go to drum shop, but their no-interest financing can lead to impulse buying. They threw in a free cymbal bag, too.
While I do love the hats, the 21" ride is now my favorite ride. Has the stick sound I always wanted. The 17" crash is a little too fast for my taste, but it blends with the ride.
Anyway, I take the set on all my gigs, plus a K Custom Hybrid 11" Splash, and a Wuhan 16" Linear Crash.
By the way, so many cymbals have "Custom" in their title, but they're obviously mass produced. "Custom" has become a buzz word like "Innovation".

FatBoy46

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen lots of threads from items on order, wish lists and peoples favorite items but what was your last impulse purchase? Since the favorite hi hat clutch post I’ve been looking at those options interestingly…what was your last and are you happy with it?
That would be 3 cymbals in a package deal... cracked. I didn't see the crack in the one I really wanted. paid waaay too much for trash. Gave to a drummer- and tossed in a good cymbal for him. lesson learned- LOOK ant the images READ the descriptions...

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Picked these up a couple weeks in a pawn shop because I’d never really tried Paiste hats and for $100 I assumed I can break even no problem if I don’t like them. I haven’t really reached a verdict yet on them. I like the closed sound, the opening sound lacks some body but thats kind of normal for 13” View attachment 592989
no fire needed; Paiste 3000 ARE fire!

metallitroy

Reaction score
I bought an Iron Maiden Premier snare drum last month on impulse. Overpaid. It was really just a cheap premier snare they put Iron Maiden wrap on.

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My impulse was more espratic and very unnecessary I sold all my straight 1030 and boom stands an then bought x3 brand new Pearl 1030C Curved Cymbal Stands ‍♂️
I’ve never heard of these. Please share pics. Is it all aesthetically driven or is there a functional advantage?

chakosticks

Reaction score
Bought a used 1998 DW kit in Gray Glass Glitter for myself for my 50th birthday for $2000. 9x12/11x14/13x16 hanging toms, 6x14 snare, 15.5x22 kick. It came with two 9000 series double tom stands, a 9000 snare stand, and an older 5000 two leg hi hat stand. I sold the hardware as a package for $500 locally, bringing the drums down to $1500, or $300 per drum. It's been my kit in the practice rooom ever since, play it almost everyday and haven't had to tune it since I swapped out the batter heads when I got it. Very happy with this one!

Chris Furfaro

Reaction score
I bought a vintage set of frosted Fibes. 13 16 22. I didn't really need another set, but what hell. They weren't cheap either. Cleaned them up, new heads, they sound great.

Psalm84

Reaction score
Hmmmnn, my last impulse purchase was quite awhile back...I bought a great Gibralter bass pedal, never regretted it, wondered why I never bought one before...it's great...that being said,,,My last strongest urge was to buy a Thumper snare...but couldn't pull the trigger on the price...couldaWouldaShoulda? I don't know, they have a great reputation. Now that I'm retired, I'm building some guitars and Mandolins and plan to build a snare for myself as soon as I get a few projects off the shelf... I'm looking forward to going through that learning curve !

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
These are my two last impulse buys:
1. Honest Abe Hot Rolled Steel 7x14 snare is a beast. This is possibly the best $1000 snare drum I've ever bought. It is sheer perfection aesthetically and sonically. The drum has a strong fundamental note that is very focused. I can't say enough good things about this drum. The feel of the drum is something very specia and it has become one of my all time favorite drums to playl. The shell is 1/4" thick with a virtually invisible seam. The manufacturing process of this drum is very refined and exact...it's a work of art, IMHO. This is also one heavy beast.
2. The 8x14 Keplinger Black Iron is a great drum too, different from the Honest Abe. This drum is all about being utilitarian. There's no badge, it is very raw and unrefined aesthetically. The inside is signed by Keplinger himself (rather etched into the shell with a couple "Not Fragile" stamps) Whereas the Honest Abe drum has a super focused and powerful note, The Keplinger drum has a wider musical spectrum or range of notes with some interesting harmonic overtones that can be tamed down, but it starts with just plain more of everything sonically. It is very sensitive to even the lightest touch. A very interesting drum to say the least. Think "Black Hole Sun."
The shell is thinner than the Honest Abe at 3mm with a visible seam. The shell feels lightweight in comparison to the Honest Abe, but it is by no means a light weight shell.

20221014_191217.jpg
20221014_191448.jpg
20221112_171945.jpg
20221112_172037.jpg

20221014_191217.jpg

jrh1230

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll play... I decided I needed more wooden snares in my little collection so I bought a used Odery Sapele snare and to go with that, a new Ludwig Universal Cherry snare. Both are rather strange imported drums but the Odery is pretty cool and sounds good. I am NOT happy with the Ludwig. I have yet to find a head/tuning combination that doesn't sound plain weird. I'll keep trying. (I usually play metal snares). The positive about the Cherry drum is it's LOUD so if you need that, it works. I should have invested in a better shell I think. Like a Hendrix or something. Most of the time I would play my LM402 or my Slingerland COB snare anyway so there's that...

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'll play... I decided I needed more wooden snares in my little collection so I bought a used Odery Sapele snare and to go with that, a new Ludwig Universal Cherry snare. Both are rather strange imported drums but the Odery is pretty cool and sounds good. I am NOT happy with the Ludwig. I have yet to find a head/tuning combination that doesn't sound plain weird. I'll keep trying. (I usually play metal snares). The positive about the Cherry drum is it's LOUD so if you need that, it works. I should have invested in a better shell I think. Like a Hendrix or something. Most of the time I would play my LM402 or my Slingerland COB snare anyway so there's that...
Sometimes you take a chance and it works out great, sometimes not. I got lucky this last time with two keepers.

CKV

Reaction score
My last impulse purchase was a 20" Sabian HH Manhattan Ride which weighs 1660g. Somebody I've bought cymbals from before emailed me after it didn't sell on a local site and asked if I would be interested. I decided it would be a useful addition to my set of light 20" cymbals for sonic comparison. In no particular order it the 20" light set includes:

Craig Lauritsen J-Mood 1730g
UFIP 1950s 1725g
UFIP 1950s 1675g
A Ziljdian & Cie Vintage 1790g from the 2010 Rarities year
A Zildjian Trans Stamp T3 1873g

I've got a number of more medium 20" cymbals running from 1990g late 50s A Zildjian example, to an A Zildjian Medium Ride from the 80s at 2434g, and a gap before the heaviest which is an A Zildjian Mini Cup ride with a 70s stamp at 3180g! I've got Turkish and European and American a few Chinese made, plus the one Canadian.

The goal is to prepare a set of blind listening tests to explore how people perceive various cymbals, and what terms they use to describe them. Say smokey for example

I've got completely hand made cymbals, cymbals with a mix of power hammer and hand hammering, and cymbals with various modern technologies trying to emulate some of the cymbals from the 1950s. I've also got B20 and B15 examples. This is also repeated in 18" and 22" diameters. This research project allows me to buy cymbals I don't necessarily need or plan to use, but I get them "for research purposes". ;-) It also means I mustn't sell any cymbals.
Love your rationalizations - I’m taking notes!

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
The question about prominent 402 users reminded me of a CD I listened to in store in 1991 but never bought - 35DM was a lot of money back then. Just ordered it from ebay :)

My last drum-related purchases were all spontaneous, but rather small: a practice pad, a small stick bag. A solid wood snare hoop last december. Bigger spontaneous purchases go back some time, mostly cymbals: 19" A Avedis, 20" KCon Philly Joe ride, a thin 20" 60s A.

Mapex Always

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to make this impulse purchase right now :) for the back end on my Walnut Craviotto set that I have on order ,, So it would be the four piece Crav , with the Panther 14 x 7 Solidus auxiliary snare - and this floor tom , either in a matching to the Walnut Crav 16“ x 14“ or a slightly larger 18“ x 14“.

Love the Bakar!

1668866365870.jpeg

Shep

Reaction score
The Wühan 20” Koi Conical Dark China. It’s incredible, and I’m overwhelmingly pleased with it.