Your latest cymbal purchase.....

Fifty9Dunes

Reaction score
Wow that Byzance candy is nuts!

I don't tend to post on this thread at all because I can't keep up with how many cymbals come and go for me. But I did recently pick up a Dream Bliss 20" that is blowing my mind right now. It sounds way better than it has a right to!
So I love me some swag as much as the next bloke but they really won me over with the sticks...Ive never been excited about a pair of 5As before but these are light, balanced, and straight as arrows.

Biggsenator

Reaction score
Ordered two cymbals in the last week (have not arrived yet), and I am a little nervous; I don't usually order cymbals, since it's a crap shoot. But I am excited, since I have heard good things about both of these, and listened extensively online. One: 23" K Custom Special Dry Ride. Two: 20" K Custom Left Side Ride. Got both specifically for big band jazz. I hope neither is a lemon.

Biggsenator

Reaction score
Most recent cymbal purchase - 18 Sabian SR2 Heavy, 16 Sabian SR2 Heavy. People told me it was dicey if I'd get good ones or not. I got 2 great ones. Totally pleased with both cymbals.
Kinda surprised people told you that. My experience with Sabians is that they tend to be very consistent cymbal to cymbal as compared to other lines. And no, I don't work for Sabian.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Kinda surprised people told you that. My experience with Sabians is that they tend to be very consistent cymbal to cymbal as compared to other lines. And no, I don't work for Sabian.
People likely said that because it's true when it comes to the SR2 cymbals. If you're not familiar, those are remanufactured from other "normal" models and classified only by weight. But they really are quite variable. I have heard some great ones and some absolute clangers.

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
15" Funch 3rd Anniversary hihats. Only a quick demo with raw sounds from the camera, but I think it sounds awesome even like that.
Not the thinnest pair ever (1064 gr/1157 gr) but really sensitive nevertheless. These are crisp and fat at the same time, and I love the sound is full and saturated even when you hit lightly and open the hats up just a little.

IMG_20210216_120106.jpg

IMG_20210216_120046.jpg

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I recently bought on-line locally a Meinl Byzance 20" Big Apple ride. Not as mellow as I expected from various YouTube vids but usable. I will probably move it on while I continue to search for that perfect jazz ride ..... :)
147398909_10219713845624657_6153524557109068160_n.jpg

wraub

Reaction score
Late 50s Zildjian ssb 20"... 2060 grams, I think it's a crash ride. I like it a lot. :)

1613858311926.png

Reaction score
15" Funch 3rd Anniversary hihats. Only a quick demo with raw sounds from the camera, but I think it sounds awesome even like that.
Not the thinnest pair ever (1064 gr/1157 gr) but really sensitive nevertheless. These are crisp and fat at the same time, and I love the sound is full and saturated even when you hit lightly and open the hats up just a little.
I’m digging them. Sounds great for camera audio. They sound an awful lot like some 15” Paiste Rude hats I had long ago.

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently bought on-line locally a Meinl Byzance 20" Big Apple ride. Not as mellow as I expected from various YouTube vids but usable. I will probably move it on while I continue to search for that perfect jazz ride ..... :)
. View attachment 485973
The 22s tend to be more mellow, with a woodier stick sound.

Quai34

Reaction score
. View attachment 485973
Funny you side that, I don't have one but thought that could be a perfect jazz ride... Well, the ride in jazz is so important and depends so on how you imagine it, how you feel it, that it's so personal, normal there is so much options and only a few could please you!!!

Quai34

Reaction score

View attachment 485857
View attachment 485858
Funny you always play your left hand with the but of the stick on the snare? Any reason for that? Maybe just the weight of the stick in that position gives you a better range of force on the snare?

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Funny you always play your left hand with the but of the stick on the snare? Any reason for that? Maybe just the weight of the stick in that position gives you a better range of force on the snare?
Good catch! Yeah, I do that a lot. I enjoy the sound that a small tip gets from cymbals but on drums it can sound bit thin sometimes. I get beefier sound on the snare with the butt end, so I play like that with my left hand very often. Depends but on the tempo too. Slower the tempo, more likely I hit with the butt end.

Quai34

Reaction score
. View attachment 485973
I don't play jazz, Funk/dance and jazz rock so, I might not need as mellow as you so, let me now when you want to move in with it...

Tdipaul

Reaction score
Picked up a used 2650g 21 Evolution Ride last week ago at a GC. A great pie for sure, but at home found it to be too clean and heavy for jazz. Upon returning it tonight at a different GC, they had this 2017 2360g K-C Special Dry 21 on major clearance. Giddyup. Added a 3 rivet cluster a la the K-C LSR tonight too to give it some extra flavor.

Last edited: