Your latest cymbal purchase.....

slcdrummer

Reaction score
18” A Trans Stamp ~1460 grams. Amazing cymbal. The stamp looks incomplete like it didn’t press all the way down in the middle—I haven’t figured out which subcategory of trans stamp it is quite yet. Here is a video clip:

Attachments

slcdrummer

Reaction score
K Custom Dry Complex II 20”. I think I may have been one of the first 5 people to see the ad on Reverb—just logged in at the right time and immediately bought this for a pretty reasonable price. 1899g. It looked almost unplayed when I got it and I think it’s opened up a little bit in the last week. Bit of a whistle to it but overall I really really like it. Video here:

Attachments

Quai34

Reaction score
I have a small pile (6 or 7) of 13" tops that I bought as eaches so I can switch them around.
Some early Sabian AA, a 13 New Beat top, Sabian HH top, a Sabian Fusion top and so on.
You can usually get them cheap with a little patience if you keep your eyes peeled.
Same thing with bottoms.
I put together a pair of K/Z hats (my favorites) for $100. :D
Ok, I understand now, well, I'm not knowledgeable enough to do that, so, almost all cymbaks I bought were by ears...Or at least having tried in a store and making the cymbal transfered from another one...But that's a great idea!!

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Responded to an Ebay offering for a 26" Beverly cymbal. At that size why not? Unfortunately, upon arrival it was just a 24" in a 25.5" cymbal bag. Seller didn't bother to measure it.....took the word of the previous owner.
In any case 24's aren't all that common so I worked out a partial refund with the seller and will keep it. It sounds pretty darn good for one of those UK cymbals from the 60's. 7/16 bell hole and 5.5" bell. Clean as a whistle which is shocking for
this not having been beat on during the rock era. No dents, no dings, no cracks. It's very Zildjian sounding. I sort of expected a "trashy" NiSi cymbal....but this sounds and looks like 20% bronze. According to sources like Drumaholic
all Beverly cymbals were NiSi. I don't know. Maybe this is a freakish "Super" Beverly (like the Super Zyn)? Possibly a Zildjian supplied 2nd or something that was then stamped by Beverly/Premier? They sent them to Manny's for stamping. Why not Premier?

Bev has a very clear stick with very modest wash. Never out of control. At a thin 2569 gm and quite flexible, it crashes well too. I keep out an eye out for decent looking and odd non-Zildjians. And I don't recall running into a 24" or larger vintage
"non-Zildjian or non-Paiste" in the last 2 yrs. Compared it head to head with a couple of my 50s/60's Zildjian 22 A's and it fits right in. It does some things better than those. Very surprised this one sounded good.....and with no trashiness.
Maybe a late 50's cymbal based on the bell hole and stepped fine lathing down the bell. Heavily machine hammered on the reverse. There's also a final step down in the profile over the final inch or so. You can feel it all the way around. My 22" old K has
that same feature.....umbrella'd at the edge. That tends to raise the pitch and focus the ping.... though at the expense of making the crash sound a bit more raw. Beverly put in a lot of effort to make this cymbal - as much as Zildjian did in late 50's to early 60's.

IMG_2806.JPG
IMG_2810.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
^ Nice!
It sure looks like a 60's Z. That's a great weight for a 24. I have a 60's A right around there and it is one of my favorite rides.

cymbal.wiki

Reaction score
According to sources like Drumaholic
all Beverly cymbals were NiSi. I don't know. Maybe this is a freakish Super Beverly (like the Super Zyn)?
As far as I can tell from my reading Drumaholic has not done any alloy analysis of any English cymbals. He once mentioned some analysis somebody else had done on one English cymbal but that's just hearsay for now. But that mention certainly didn't report proper materials identification analysis of multiple examples to try and look at the variation across time and across different English brands. If you do happen to come across a reference to proper results let us know please. I might have missed something.

It sure looks like a 60's Z.
I agree Tom. It looks like a late 50s early 60s A Zildjian. I'd like to see a closer image of the bell but from what I can see it looks like the late 50s A Zildjian bell lathing style as well. I'm not saying A Zildjian made it for Beverly to sell :dontknow: but that it is a pretty good copy.

Last edited:

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
...my new 16” homemade K/Z hats. Paired up a Z Custom Rock Crash as a bottom with a K Special Dry Crash on top. They sound great together! I put a K Sweet Crash up top while waiting for the Special Dry to arrive and it just didn’t do anything for me, had me worried I’d wasted a bit of money on an experiment that wouldn’t work, but the Special Dry arrived today and it makes a killer combo! Z Custom weighs in at 1266gr and the Special Dry at 920gr... they are very deep and dark sounding, subdued chick but great for lighter playing.

0BA0CB1C-2CCE-48A9-943A-AA5DB5EAACC6.jpeg
AE7A6A0B-2BF4-4863-B4E5-5EF0B6FB0592.jpeg

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
I’d decided I needed a kinder, gentler, thinner-ish Paiste crash when a low-dough 18” Sig Power crash crept into my feed..

Curse my weak constitution.

~sigh~

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I went a little crazy this week. 19" Paiste 602 Thin crash, 22" Kerope Medium ride, 15" Kerope hats.

Haven't purchased a Zildjian since about 1991 when I bought my first Paiste and then never looked back...until now. I'm loving the Keropes for their dark, woody sound and amazing stick definition. Really enjoying something different!

19_602ClassicThinCrash_2_sm.jpg
22_Zildjian_KeropeMedium_2694g_2_sm.jpg
15_Zildjian_Kerope_hats_2_sm.jpg

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you like the 18" Kerope? Does it open up easily when crashed? I've been thinking of getting one.
I like it a lot so far. It opens easily due to the weight. I wrote a too long review, of sorts, under the A Quiet Crash? thread I started. Just scroll down until you get to the Bogart and Bacall pictures.