Your latest cymbal purchase.....

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would have never thought my first 24” cymbal would be a china, but here it is. 24” Paiste 2002 Novo China. It weighs 2608g.
I didn't know Paiste made a 24 2002 China. I absolutely love my 18, but if the opportunity came, I'd definitely want to get something 20, or larger, as the 18 can be a little subtle.
That's a beauty!

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know Paiste made a 24 2002 China. I absolutely love my 18, but if the opportunity came, I'd definitely want to get something 20, or larger, as the 18 can be a little subtle.
That's a beauty!
Thank you sir. I think she’s beautiful too. I highly reccomend the 20”. My main/favorite china is my 20” 2002 Novo, so when I saw the 24” for sale, I couldn’t say no. The 24” Novo is a custom order and I paid up for it. Drum Center of Portsmouth still has 3x left on stock... :) https://www.drumcenternh.com/custom-order-paiste-2002-novo-china-cymbal-24

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you sir. I think she’s beautiful too. I highly reccomend the 20”. My main/favorite china is my 20” 2002 Novo, so when I saw the 24” for sale, I couldn’t say no. The 24” Novo is a custom order and I paid up for it. Drum Center of Portsmouth still has 3x left on stock... :) https://www.drumcenternh.com/custom-order-paiste-2002-novo-china-cymbal-24
Oh man, like you I am real tempted. I also want a 26 GB (but that's for a different post). I have no justification to buy the 24, besides I WANT IT lol. I have the 18 2002, and love it, i also have heavy, and thin 20 Sig Chinas. They make a statement, but I have to admit the 2002's just sound more musical.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man, like you I am real tempted. I also want a 26 GB (but that's for a different post). I have no justification to buy the 24, besides I WANT IT lol. I have the 18 2002, and love it, i also have heavy, and thin 20 Sig Chinas. They make a statement, but I have to admit the 2002's just sound more musical.
Hahaha that was also my only justification , I wanted it!

Also, I agree with you 100% about the 2002 Novos being more musical. I recently sold my 16” & 18” Signature Thin Chinas because I didn’t use them and like the Novos better. I still use my 18” & 20” Signature Heavy Chinas because they are a good contrast to the Novos, but it’s a totally different sound/feel. After trying tons of Sabian and Paiste china cymbals throughout the years, I’ve concluded that the 2002 Novos are my favorite.

I love that the Novos take up less space on a cymbal stand too. They allow me to cram more stuff in around them.

Redfern

Reaction score
Just received this beauty. It’s a tad heavier than I’m used to but I’m gonna give it a go for a week and see. It may be up for grabs next week! Haha!
Early prototype Masterwork 21” Ride. 2283g Medium-ish
8EA4B455-F38E-49FA-872C-B62AA32182B0.jpeg
8A0137FC-BD7E-4841-8F23-23817749B0F6.jpeg
3DA636D1-26AB-46A7-A0E5-9FA449CA934B.jpeg
00518072-E37F-4AA9-AB80-FDEBDD890E5B.jpeg
C3EA0936-8C58-4C5E-A322-FEAC8AADAEBE.jpeg

Also came across this 16” Sabian Stanton Moore Smash Crash. It’s nice but I have a thing about 16” cymbals and I knew it as I was buying it. I thought I could use it as a top hat, possibly could but then again, who am I? I’m no Stanton Moore. I ain’t that funky.
E7B46941-29FC-406D-B543-06E4DBB7967A.jpeg
EEA2A857-6AAE-42A0-9A4C-B54D3DDBE28A.jpeg
D08F0918-8BDC-482C-AC90-F1B543267D52.jpeg
46BF349A-4208-4B74-B004-CC636D2D3E73.jpeg

Attachments

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elvis, You better chop that rod before Nubs and Stuart S see this post...
...but then how will I be able to send reports back to my home planet? ;)

--------------------------------------------

ThomasL said:
Elvis, is that a K Light Flat? How do you like it?
Yes, it is a 20".
I like it a lot. I had picked up a couple of other flats but I wasn't getting that introverted flat cymbal vibe from them, then I found the K light.
I'm getting it now.
Flats larger than 18 tend to have a little more spread (of course). After that, its really up to the individual cymbal as to how far it deviates from the classic flat ride character.
K's have a little "weight" to them, so it works in a slightly larger size, better than some others seem to.

--------------------------------------------------------------

marc3k said:
What does it sound like? Is it some kind of turk cymbal?
No, its a Mehmet.
It's got a pretty solid feel for a 2500g. cymbal, but the ping is a bit rolled off, so it has some of that "turk" quality to it, but its more expressive than a Turk.
Kind of a light Turk kinda thing, if that makes sense.
It's replacing a 22" Dream Bliss, which is a super sensitive cymbal. If you look at it hard enough it'll literally explode.
The Mehmet has a lot more control, which is a bit of a breath of fresh air at this point.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

...btw, in case anyone's curious, I'm trying the Pro-Mark Rebound Balance Select hickory .565's on this cymbal currently, but thinking maybe a nylon tip would work a little better.

Thanks to all for the kind words on my latest grab and the interesting questions about that setup. :hello2:

Elvis

Last edited:

marc3k

Reaction score
No, its a Mehmet.
It's got a pretty solid feel for a 2500g. cymbal, but the ping is a bit rolled off, so it has some of that "turk" quality to it, but its more expressive than a Turk.
Kind of a light Turk kinda thing, if that makes sense.
It's replacing a 22" Dream Bliss, which is a super sensitive cymbal. If you look at it hard enough it'll literally explode.
The Mehmet has a lot more control, which is a bit of a breath of fresh air at this point.
It definitely looks interesting! I have never seen something like this.
I have a Bosphorus thin turk ride, which is also surprisingly different from other turk rides I own. It's got still some wash and and some overtones, not just dry and ping.

fusseltier

Reaction score
The last cymbal i bought was a Paiste signature 16 full crash.
But that is just an addition to all of my cymbals...
Paiste 2002
14" sound edge hihats (x2 pair)
8", 10", 12" splash
13", 14", 15", 17" crash ,
19" power crash
20", 22" rides
Signature
16" Full Crash
602 series
16" thin crash
Twenty Series
17" thin crash
PstX
14" Swiss thin crash
Alpha
8" thin splash
Zildjian
10" splash (35 years old)

17 Paiste 1 Zildjian = 18 cymbals

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just received a 21" Sabian HH prototype ride. It plays like a light (3000g) Raw Bell Dry ride--it's just the weight I was looking for so I took a chance on buying one merely by pics and weight. I haven't had a chance to play it much but it has a lot of interesting sounds--it's semi-washy/semi-cutting and has a nice dirty sounding bell.

NDdrummer13

Reaction score
I just picked up a Meinl Mike Johnston cymbal pack up. I’ve always liked the transition ride so figured may as well spend a little more to get a whole set.

NDdrummer13

Reaction score
Just received a 21" Sabian HH prototype ride. It plays like a light (3000g) Raw Bell Dry ride--it's just the weight I was looking for so I took a chance on buying one merely by pics and weight. I haven't had a chance to play it much but it has a lot of interesting sounds--it's semi-washy/semi-cutting and has a nice dirty sounding bell.
I bet that thing sounds fantastic. I had a HH raw bell dry ride and a Phil Collins signature RBDR and they were both really good but heavy. I bet the lighter one would be fantastic.

itsjjp

Reaction score
I picked up a demo Stagg 22" Classic Series Flat Ride for just $110 delivered, and was so impressed with it that I decided to make up a complete set of Stagg cymbals. I can be a little OCD, and that's not a joke. Let's talk more about the ride... It weighs 3548g and has a very nice woody tone, no bad sounds anywhere. I added 3 Sabian nickel-silver split rivets (cluster) and it sounds terrific! Unbelievably good for the money. It looks very similar to a Dream Bliss or Vintage Bliss imo.

My next purchase was a 19" Rock Crash from their SH line which stands for single hammer. The SH models look more like your typical 70s A. Zildjian in terms of design and workmanship. This rock crash weighs 1990g, and has a great darkish/medium crash sound. Like the ride, no funky tones ever. Just a very good sounding medium crash. The bell is substantial, and the cymbal doubles as a light ride which is what I had hoped to find since I don't have a bell on my actual ride -and I do like to do bell/ride combo work. The way I have it situated right by my ride, I can play my main ride and grab the bell on the 19" crash no problem. I paid just $80 delivered for that one.

Above my ride is a 12" DH Splash which sounds fantastic! Sounds like a really good 70's 10" A. Zildjian that I had a while ago only with a touch more spread and definitely more volume. The DH are their dual hammer line. It has a stout, raw bell which really helps it project nicely for a small cymbal. I went to just a 3 cymbal setup a while back, but with the flat ride, I thought why not put a splash above it? Good call, right? :) That little beauty was just $52 delivered. Yeah, fifty bucks people.

Last but not least, I just picked up a set of 14" hats from their discontinued YR series. All I can say is wow! The top is 760g and the bottom is 914g. I don't have a weight on the splash btw. So anyway, the hats, so good!! They do everything well imo. Closed tightly, medium-tight/standard play, loose, open, chick sound, quiet or loud, busy patterns, you name it. So impressed! Btw, I mainly play jazz, blues and funk, so take my comments in that context more than anything. I would not use these hats for a rock gig. However, If I can find another set for a good price, I have a mind to grab 'em for the bottom which could be paired with my current bottom for a brighter and more cutting rock sound. I bet that'd be perfect for louder music. Anyway, I paid just $90 delivered for these hats.

So, all told, you can put together a really nice set of B20 bronze cymbals from Stagg without spending a ton of money. I would put these up against any comparable cymbal model. I spent just $332 on the whole set by shopping around and working deals. I could have kept it to $280 if I stayed with my 3 cymbal setup (4 if we count hats as 2).

One mo thang... As you can see, I don't like logos on my cymbals. I can tell you that the logos on most Staggs are VERY heavy, and it takes some effort to do away with 'em. I used a combination of carb cleaner and Bar Keepers Friend which is metal polish with a very mild grit to it. I do this in the garage for obvious reasons. I work with the grooves only, never across, and get the inks off first. Then I go over the whole pie with just the Bar Keepers Friend and some water or mild spray cleaner. I do so 3-4 times to even out where the logos were. Once I'm done with the heavy cleaning, I bring the cymbal inside into my laundry tub and wash with dish soap and water. Rinse well, dry with a clean soft towel, and then play and never clean again (at least I don't). JP

main rig overhead.jpg

main rig (2).jpg

Last edited: