Your latest cymbal purchase.....

tbird8450

Reaction score
I've been looking for a 20" Giant Beat locally to me for a while with no luck. I posted a wanted add in Craigslist but only got one flake wanting to play the "how much do you want to pay" game which I wasn't in to. I've slowly been putting a used set together which has been fun. I bought a couple of my Giant Beats from this forum a while ago but haven't seen much lately for sale. Plus, shipping kills most deals.
Yeah, they seem to hold their value pretty well. I ended up biting the bullet and bought new on Amazon. With free shipping + 5% back it wasn't terrible. In addition, the GBs have a beautiful finish, and an unmolested example is something special. I'll fix that soon enough, though.

covinasurf

Reaction score
What I can see of the ink style and the trademark at 12 o'clock tells me that is from the period 1992 - 2002.

I can't see enough to tell whether that is a laser trademark or not. During that era Avedis Zildjian cymbals were heavier. After the 2013 reset they got lighter again and more like the weight ranges of the 1960s. I would expect a Medium Thin Crash from that period to feel "heavy" but I'm surprised at "no sustain". I have to check my notes, but from memory that model is also the Crash Ride. Same cymbal specs but different model ink at the end of the process.

Weights for Medium Thin Crashes I've documented from that period are 1505g - 1565g so yours is generally in the expected range although it is a bit on the high side. Expected ranges for a model generally are plus or minus 5% of the average weight so that's about 1450g to 1600g to include the ends of the full distribution. There are those who object to any discussion and analysis of weight classes over the decades, and they shall continue to be surprised at some cymbals they get.
Thanks for the info. I will do some research before I try again. There’s one 18 that’s from the same period as my 16” crashes, mid 80s, but I will do some reading first.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I received a brand new 20" Paiste Giant Beat yesterday. It may be my new single favorite cymbal. It rides great, crashes just as well, and has that sweet vintage wash. I'm very happy I went with it. It pairs well with an 18" GB which is also a recent purchase. The rest are 2002s. I'm really liking the mix of both series.
I had some Big Beats when they came out...20", 18, and 15 hats....really good cymbals...Paiste makes the best B8's. They got it right

Redfern

Reaction score
Another Masterwork...20” Jazz Master China...whoooweee does this baby spang-a-lang!!! True to its nature and it’ll find its place amongst the rest...I tell you, Masterwork cymbals are really nice pieces of musical art...and reasonably priced at that.
5383BE69-D10E-4CEC-A69C-629FE14AA31E.jpeg
0B3BA104-62FA-415C-8852-1107B95CFA34.jpeg
1BC26A76-DA83-4691-B8D4-95E9886F1137.jpeg
EC709A1B-8C8B-4D8E-9F1C-178E8CEE1E06.jpeg
3818A40B-0077-40DC-98B1-84609B69C14C.jpeg
A16B5153-521C-4750-9EAB-60C29356A64A.jpeg

Tdipaul

Reaction score
Sold a couple, bought a couple

My first Soultone's. These 13's have been a shop for a while and every time I've touched them they put a smile on my face so they are now home. Very crisp and light. And there is something about how they mate together, like that couple that never argues and are always happy.

My second King in 5 years, this time a 24. Low volume and dry (but not dead), nice "tah" stick and a pleasant bell.

Last edited:

Pibroch

Reaction score
Sold a couple, bought a couple

My first Soultone's. These 13's have been a shop for a while and every time I've touched them they put a smile on my face so they are now home. Very crisp and light. And there is something about how they mate together, like that couple that never argues and are always happy.

My second King in 5 years, this time a 24. Low volume and dry (but not dead), nice "tah" stick and a pleasant bell.

Nice !!

Where did you find your new King, if I might ask? They seem to have a special magic but went out of production, didn't they?

tbird8450

Reaction score
I just added a 24" Reverend Al ride yesterday (replaced a 22" 2002). I'm super pleased with it. And with that, I officially have no more room left around the kit for anything else. It already took a tremendous amount of positioning tweaks to fit everything in without cymbals smacking into each other. The setup now looks like a sea of brass with something resembling drums attempting to peak out for air. This has not been pleasant on the wallet.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Took a chance on this local craigslist cymbal yesterday. 20" Zildjian at 2045 grams. It was everything I had hoped for. the stamp is in an off place (closer to the bell than the edge and upside down), and there is a slight keyhole that probably scared off other buyers. Still I am thrilled with it and it is the second zildjian that I have purchased in years after divesting myself of that brand a few years back. Earlier this week I purchased an 18" Zildjian sizzle from @712drummer that was also a winner.

CymbalStamp.jpg
cymbalstamporientation.jpg
cymbalkeyhole.jpg
cymbalprofile.jpg

itsjjp

Reaction score
20210407_155459.jpg

I continue to be impressed by Stagg cymbals. And no I'm not a marketing plant of some sort. This latest purchase is a 20" Sensa Medium Sweet Ride that I got for just $110 delivered from Nashville Music. It was a clean demo, and I gave it my usual logo removal treatment and oil rub down. Weighs about 2300g and measures more like 20 1/8". Plays really well! Nice medium thin edge is crashable and the bell is right on point. She's on the dark side which I suspect is why she sat on their showroom for a little while -but freaking perfect for cats like me who play jazz, blues and funk.

itsjjp

Reaction score
Yeah, they seem to hold their value pretty well. I ended up biting the bullet and bought new on Amazon. With free shipping + 5% back it wasn't terrible. In addition, the GBs have a beautiful finish, and an unmolested example is something special. I'll fix that soon enough, though.
Best
Best deal I've seen on a new one was on eBay from Hi-Fi Casio something or other. I've purchased a few cymbals from them and all were solid except for a 24" Zildjian S Family Medium Ride that I'd swear was a factory reject given how awful it sounded. I have completely hand hammered it and she's up on Reverb. But I digress... I bought a 20" GB and a couple of other Zildjian S Family cymbals from that Hi-Fi company. All of those were great. Advertised as used but were brand new and sounded awesome. The 20" GB multi favors crashing vs. riding. I like the 20" Zildjian S Family Thin Crash better than the GB I had and better than a 20" 2oo2 Medium I had which is similar to the GB multi. Hope this helps.

tbird8450

Reaction score
Nice, I'll have to keep an eye on that vendor. I agree that the 20" GB sees more use as a crash, but for lower volume, more laid back playing it sounds great as a ride as well. I have a 20" 2002 Medium also and in my case it sounds very different from the GB. The standard 2002 20" crash is much closer to the GB, but even those are pretty different from each other. I find that the modern 2002 20" crash sounds a lot like a vintage Formula 602, and is pretty spot on to the 20" crash used in Zeppelin II. The same is true for the 18" Medium 2002 and its Zep II counterpart, which I also gather is a 602.

It's quite a puzzle trying to match up modern cymbals with their vintage counterparts, but also fun.

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
Recently picked up a Prototype HH 21". The 'honeymoon phase' is a real thing for me, but it's been nearly a month now and I am absolutely in love with this ride. At 3000 grams it's just what I was looking for--it plays like a light Raw Bell Dry Ride, with crashability, a lovely wash, crispy dark sticking and a killer bell.

I bought it just based on weight and got lucky (price was good, too). Every time I compare it my other rides it just ends up back on the stand because it's so fun to play. It has a lot of sounds to explore!

20210410_092011_HDR[1].jpg

20210410_092902_HDR[1].jpg

Last edited: