Your latest cymbal purchase.....

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got this "cute" 1940's 2nd stamp "crash/ride" Zildjian a few weeks ago. An odd diameter at 16-5/8" all around......1219 gm.....4" bell that is somewhat separated from the bow. No rivets as received. I put 2 rivets in.
The weight is distributed more towards the center as the outer edges easily bend. The cymbal bends under its own weight when held by the edge. Plays and sounds more like an 18" than a 16".
Definitely has more of a trans stamp look. Fairly quick decay, light and airy sounding along with a of bit trashiness.....something you tend to find in the paper thins. It's ride worthy too.
Looks like a half moon "maker's mark" on the "C" of "Co."

IMG_3410.JPG
IMG_3404.JPG
IMG_3408.JPG

Last edited:

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Couple of months ago I got this quite heavy 21" Funch 3rd Anniversary (almost 2400 gr), and I was so pleased with that one, that I decided to sell some extra gear to aquire another Funch from the heavier end of spectrum.
This one on the video really tickled my ear the right way on the last sale event, so I jumped on it.
It's Funch Classic 23" at 2794 gr. It's currently on the transport, should arrive on Monday.

And yes, I know, I have an addiction. Lol!

Last edited:

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I‘ve been waiting months for one of these 22” Signature Power Rides. They were added to Paiste’s Signature lineup again this year. After hearing a bunch of different examples at various drum shops online, I finally pulled the trigger on one that really caught my ear. A lot of them were a too dark for my taste, but this one is perfect :).

I’ve actually bought and sold off a dozen different Paiste 20”, 21”, & 22” rock/metal rides over the past few years. I’m not rich enough to have kept them all and most I didn’t care for, so I only kept my favorite 5 cymbals. All 5 happen to be 22” in diameter, but they each have a different tone/sound and their own unique personality. They cover the entire spectrum for everything hard rock + metal.

(Clockwise - 12:00 to 9:00)
22” Signature Reflector Bell Ride, 22” 2002 Power Ride, 22” 2002 Mega Bell Ride, 22” Twenty Custom Metal Ride, & 22” Signature Power Ride

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just added another china to my Paiste 2002 Novo collection lol. It‘s a 22” Paiste 2002 Novo. It was a little expensive because it was a custom order, but it goes perfectly with my 20” and 24” Novos. These are my favorite china cymbals that I’ve ever owned. Especially for rock and metal music. They are exactly what I hear in my head when I think china cymbal. I’m now stuck on whether or not to get a custom ordered 16” Novo that is also up for sale.

22” 2002 Novo

20”, 22”, & 24”
the 22 novo is the best China/pang style cymbal ever made, I miss mine dearly.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After a rough week personally, it was good to sit down and get into it with a new cymbal and hats.

Mike Mongiello custom 21” tracing paper thin Turk crash/ride sitting at 1681g to go along with a 24” Masterwork extra thin Turk ride. Mike knocked it out of the park with this one. Somehow managed to sonically align this without having never heard my 24”. I don’t know how he did it, but it’s amazing. Sooooooo thin...yet still retains stick. Crazy!!! Massive dark n moody crash with incredible wash...

View attachment 496891 View attachment 496893 View attachment 496894 View attachment 496895 View attachment 496896

Some lovely 15” Masterwork thin jazzmaster hats(874/1045g)arrived from Gerry at Hazelshould and wouldn’t you know it, they blend perfectly with the Turk rides...couldn’t be happier.

View attachment 496897 View attachment 496898 View attachment 496899

Peace and moments of zen to everyone...
Masterwork, IMO, is that little gem of a secret coming out of Istanbul...Have several in the JazzMaster series...sold, and kick myself whenever I think about it, a 22" Paper thin ride...it was sweet...thinking of an 18" flat Turk...

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Got some 14" Amedia Kommagene hi hats, 900/1100. The profile is fairly flat, which really helps darken the sound a lot. They're a good match for my 18" Old Stamp K.

The surface seems to be a bit brushed or burnished before the patina is added. They certainly feel like old cymbals.

I'm going to live with these for a bit, but I would really like to have these in 15".

IMG_4379.jpeg

IMG_4381.jpeg

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Business has been good. Instead of buying more Apple stock with some of my Q1 bonus money, I bought an 18" K Con crash, a 20" K Sweet Crash and a set of 14" K Con High Hats and another cymbal bag. All great cymbals, but I am sorry I didn't get the 20" K Cluster Crash instead. I'll guess i'll wait for the Q2 bonus.
Coulda used that money to by AAPL on the dip. D'oh! I better hang on the K-Cons for a while.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got some 14" Amedia Kommagene hi hats, 900/1100. The profile is fairly flat, which really helps darken the sound a lot. They're a good match for my 18" Old Stamp K.

The surface seems to be a bit brushed or burnished before the patina is added. They certainly feel like old cymbals.

I'm going to live with these for a bit, but I would really like to have these in 15".

View attachment 499227

View attachment 499228
That blackened finish reminds me a little of my Paiste DE hat top, except yours retains a LOT more of the black...

flatwins

Reaction score
My most recent cymbal purchase? Believe it or not, Wuhan. I have various cymbals (Paiste 2002s, Traditionals, old 602) and even have a few original Istanbul Ks around here but wanted to see what this Wuhan stuff was about. So with my jazz (rather than rock) hat on I bought some Wuhan Western series: 20” Thin crash ride, 21” Med Thin crash ride, and some 15” high hats. The crash rides are dark, thin, and trashy. The hats are a little heavier than I’d like but I’m warming up to them. Drum Center of Portsmouth has several YouTube videos of you want to get an idea of sound.

curly

Reaction score
Took a flier on this 20 trans stamp, price was quite reasonable as it has several cracks around a rivet hole and a moderate key hole. Listing described it as medium thin, will be interesting to see what it is when it arrives.

View attachment 486832
View attachment 486834
View attachment 486833
Two months later this finally arrived. 20 1/4 inches and ~2240 on my kitchen scale. Just a nice trans stamp. I can't figure out what the multiple holes around the one rivet hole are about, no cracks that I can see. Odd!

Sounds like a nice medium trans stamp should.

Danny_Ocean

Reaction score
Most recent cymbal purchase is a 20” Zildjian China with the MANNY’S stamp (1805 g).

Without a Zildjian stamp to go by it’s difficult to say when exactly this one might have been made (according to the lore and Zildjian’s website these “seconds” were produced from the 60s up until 1981), but based on appearance alone I’d say it’s likely closer to late 70s (you folks will probably know better so let me know if anyone has any insight/theories!).

Bit of a risky/controversial purchase I suppose (since some folks consider these Zildjian “rejects”)—and in fact this one has a very small dent, unsurprisingly—but I personally love cymbals with history/personality and had only seen a couple of MANNY’S stamps before (but never a china?) and was intrigued/compelled to buy it (the price was right as well, since these MANNY cymbals tend not to sell for very much).

Haven’t had the chance to play it yet but luckily the Reverb seller was able to provide a sound file and based on that it sounds like a really solid china cymbal (has a bit more hum/overtone when played on top than I’d like but has a really nice dark/full crash). Planning to get 8 rivets installed to hopefully turn it into a nice swish cymbal. Here are some pics from the Reverb listing if you’re curious.

Attachments

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most recent cymbal purchase is a 20” Zildjian China with the MANNY’S stamp (1805 g).

Without a Zildjian stamp to go by it’s difficult to say when exactly this one might have been made (according to the lore and Zildjian’s website these “seconds” were produced from the 60s up until 1981), but based on appearance alone I’d say it’s likely closer to late 70s (you folks will probably know better so let me know if anyone has any insight/theories!).

Bit of a risky/controversial purchase I suppose (since some folks consider these Zildjian “rejects”)—and in fact this one has a very small dent, unsurprisingly—but I personally love cymbals with history/personality and had only seen a couple of MANNY’S stamps before (but never a china?) and was intrigued/compelled to buy it (the price was right as well, since these MANNY cymbals tend not to sell for very much).

Haven’t had the chance to play it yet but luckily the Reverb seller was able to provide a sound file and based on that it sounds like a really solid china cymbal (has a bit more hum/overtone when played on top than I’d like but has a really nice dark/full crash). Planning to get 8 rivets installed to hopefully turn it into a nice swish cymbal. Here are some pics from the Reverb listing if you’re curious.
Are we even sure its an actual Zildjian cymbal?
Italians have made a lot of copies over the years.
If it is indeed a Zildjian "second", it sounds like it may be Canadian.

Danny_Ocean

Reaction score
Are we even sure its an actual Zildjian cymbal?
Italians have made a lot of copies over the years.
If it is indeed a Zildjian "second", it sounds like it may be Canadian.
Hard to say for sure! But the consensus seems to be that Zildjian sold “seconds” to select dealers (because it was cheaper than recycling the alloy at the time), which included Manny’s in NYC, so the MANNY’S stamp would suggest it is a Zildjian (albeit a flawed one!). Could be Canadian (that’d be interesting!).

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/archive/index.php?t-81710.html

Danny_Ocean

Reaction score
I'm not questioning the fact that Zildjian "seconds" exist.
They do.
I'm questioning the origins of the cymbal in question....is it an actual "Zildjian"?

Elvis
Thanks Elvis. I understand what you’re saying. These Manny cymbals are believed to be Zildjians but of course there’s no way to confirm that for this one in particular. I think the cymbal is interesting in any case.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to say for sure! But the consensus seems to be that Zildjian sold “seconds” to select dealers (because it was cheaper than recycling the alloy at the time), which included Manny’s in NYC, so the MANNY’S stamp would suggest it is a Zildjian (albeit a flawed one!). Could be Canadian (that’d be interesting!).

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/archive/index.php?t-81710.html

Ok, that makes sense.
I know around '68 Ziljdian started stamping their seconds "AZCO" (A.Zildjian Co.) and they came from the Canadian plant.
Of course, this all came to an end around '80-'81, when that plant became the Sabian plant.
Since there's no "AZCO" stamp, I wonder if this cymbal was made before '68? (if it's really a Zildjian).

Elvis

P.S. Apologies for the prior response. i misunderstood your post. Above is the corrected version.