Your latest cymbal purchase.....

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, my Isty hats were packaged in a similar way.
Congrats on your latest grab VA. :thumbup:

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I scored a set (14HH, 16/18/20) of Smyrnah Raidens. B20...Hand hammered. The hats might be a little lite but I heard my daughter playing them and they sounded pretty sweet. The crashes are amazing. Trying them out with one of my bands tonight (1st indoor rehearsal in over a year).

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Busy day today. Picked up an early Slingerland kit today and these cymbals accompanied the drums. Seller didn't let on that they had them until I showed up.

20" EAK Jazz Ride (2029 gm). 14" Trans Stamp Type 2 hi hat original pairing (687/670). The top is 14" and bottom 14-3/16" - and apparently chosen to be staggered in that way. The Trans stamps were probably born with the kit.
UFIP 1950's? 19.75" (50 cm) ride/crash sizzler (1772 gm). And a 16" paper thin trans stamp Type 1 (908 gm). They all "work." An EAK that rides and crashes very well.

Trans stamp hats are the first time I've personally run across a pre-Type 3 pair over the past 2-3 yrs. Cooler yet is that the top is labeled "HI HAT" and the other "BOTTOM HI HAT."
I can make out the ghost letters of "TOP" on the top hat - fatter and slightly smaller font above "HAT."

The UFIP is interesting because it sounds similar to a Type 1/2 old K Istanbul (triangle die stamp). Clear ping and crashes fast. Bit of trashiness. Subdued bell.
Downside is that it has a 1" fine crack on the edge. UFIP (12 mm) and the EAK (12.4 mm?) have slightly smaller bell holes.

IMG_3438.JPG
IMG_3441.JPG
IMG_3443.JPG
IMG_3444.JPG
IMG_3445.JPG
IMG_3449.JPG
IMG_3451.JPG

Last edited:

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I,like most, miss my cymbalholics.com fix. so here is a small attempt to connect to some of the stuff we had over there. so tell me what you got most recently cymbal wise....

I slipped up on a nice jewel recently. I bought a 60's avedis 24". seller mentioned that it was around 3400 grams. a little heavier than my dream cymbal but still thought I would give a try. I had just bought a new digital scale and had it ready for the arrival of the 24. when it arrived, I could tell right away it was thinner than that because ive had one 2800 and 3200. I was pleasantly pleased when it weighed in at 2976 grams. its a jewel. has a ton of different sounds as a ride cymbal. it crashes well and the bell is full and musical. I so wish that it had rivets though. I have really come to enjoy them on cymbals over they years...

has some beautiful dark green patina right at the bottom. I picture some old jazz cat clasping it there while laying down some nice patterns...

so....what did ya get lately???

mike
Got back my stinking Formula 602 Joe Morello set I bought back in 1969. Missing in action since 1974. I had gone to college and then went to work for Uncle Sam. Found them when I moved my sisters to Wisconsin in 2012! They were inside the shipping crate of their Rhoades 88 bought back in 1976 among other junk stored. They're on a 5-piece Yamaha Stage Custom kit right next to their Yamaha CFX that costs more than my house.

Shovel&Pale

Reaction score
My only 3rd brand new purchase in 30 years, an 18" Sabian AAX X-plosion Fast Crash. It's amazing, feels like a hot knife through butter. Makes me want to sell everything else and get a 17" or possibly 19" to go with it.

Jarman 74

Reaction score
My only 3rd brand new purchase in 30 years, an 18" Sabian AAX X-plosion Fast Crash. It's amazing, feels like a hot knife through butter. Makes me want to sell everything else and get a 17" or possibly 19" to go with it.
I also have the 18 and the 17. Great cymbals!!!