Your latest cymbal purchase.....

tbird8450

Reaction score
I just bought a K Con Renaissance from them this morning. Evidently Steve has hypnotic Constantinople powers. Must be that baby blue polo.

This arrived today. I sat on the fence for a long while with regard to a Renaissance. It kept popping up on "best jazz ride ever!!!" lists and in video comments, etc, but I kept coming back to them and not really getting it. For whatever reason a lot of them just weren't doing it for me. Out of all of the K Cons, I tended to like the MTLs and Mediums the most. After a while the FOMO won out and after listening to a whole bunch, I hit go on the above. It sounds a lot more subdued in that video than it does in person. I had expected that based on the other examples I heard, but wow - this thing is something. It's crazy loud if you lay into it... probably the loudest ride in my arsenal now. But it responds beautifully to gentle playing. It's going to take a long time to really master it, but so far, huge thumbs up and I'm glad I pulled the trigger.

tbird8450

Reaction score
Looks about right. Gotta love the massive amount of empty space they leave for the cymbals to fly back and forth in without any packing material. Sometimes they throw in a single sheet of crumpled paper strictly for appearances. I've sent them back a few that picked up some nice fleabites during transit.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
15 60s New Beats ( had them for a month)
Today I got the 19 Avedis and the 22 Medium Thin Low View attachment 504871
Can't speak to 60's New Beats, but I have the other cymbals you mentioned and love them both. Don't think I've ever used them together though, you've inspired me to switch it up and try it out. To me the MTL is just a gorgeous ride, and the 19" Avedis really works beautifully as a dedicated crash/ride, it's always on my left side too. Enjoy them!

tbird8450

Reaction score
I love the 22" MTLs. Each one is different, but unlike just about every other Zildjian line, I've yet to run across a dud. Great feel, too.

marc3k

Reaction score
IMG_3611.JPG

22" Agop 30th Anniversary Ride, 2392g

Pretty awesome ride, it's got that exotic wash but has still a quite bright stick sound over it. It's surprisingly loud! It will take some time to learn to play it, but I'm looking forward to it!

Edit: I already have a 22" 30th Anniversary at 2313g, probably a production cymbal from around 2018/2019, golden color. But this new one is way different and to me much more interesting sounding!

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Freakin' Amazon packing.

View attachment 504820
Surprisingly not a scratch on them. There's a bit of a mark on one of the bells from where they were stacked in storage, but nothing from the poor packaging and delivery.

They sound pretty good. 1066g/1255g. Higher pitched than I thought they would be for those weights. I never noticed how high of a profile Bosphorus Traditional have.

Last edited:

Six-Ply

Reaction score
Sabian AAX 21" Heavy Ride, AAX 16" Medium Crash, AAX 19" Heavy Crash, 19" HHX X-Plosion, HHX 20" Chinese, 19" Holy China, AAX 18" Medium Crash.

Thats 4 weeks worth. Yeah I got a new cymbal set.

Last edited:

Six-Ply

Reaction score
Been eying this cymbal for over a year.
Don't need another ride ,but damn,it just has that balanced ping.

View attachment 501338
I wish Zildjian still made this in 22". If you can find a heavier 22" K Ride it's as close as you'll get with a regular K and they have a slightly more controlled wash. I have one that weighs 3035 grams and another that weighs 3085 and they both have very unique qualities.

tbird8450

Reaction score
Well, it's been a fun and rewarding couple of months collecting some new rides, and it led me down the Zildjian path (amongst others), but the end of the journey appropriately brought me back home to Paiste. This hefty boy (3033g) is just absolutely outstanding.

20210627_223848.jpg

It plays lighter than it has any right to, but still maintains that clean, beefy stick definition I was aiming for.

Last edited:

TechDad

Reaction score
About a year ago I purchased a 1995 20”Zildjian K Custom Medium Ride from a drum and cymbal hunter near Minneapolis with the intent for it to eventually be used by my 12 year old son and jazz ensemble drummer. Jesse Simpson lathed it to 1950 grams, hand hammered, tapered, and shaped it. The kiddo and I finished applying a patina on it together that took 3 days and a lot of seeming meticulous work of misting and evaporating the recipe Zenstat posted from Craig Lauritsen that we studied and added our own ideas to. For comparison; the raw/brilliant cymbal next to it was/is an 18” 1950’s A medium thin crash also hammered and lathed by Jesse Simpson, but without patina. For us; it’s now an heirloom cymbal. Sounds and plays as nicely as any 20 I can recall. It’s a very fun father son project.

Attachments

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
The red single flanged, tube lugged Acrolite is pretty cool, too.
Did you mod that one, as well?

TechDad

Reaction score
The red single flanged, tube lugged Acrolite is pretty cool, too.
Did you mod that one, as well?
Thank you! The Supra had the Ludalloy removed and powdercoated red to match his kit. The hardware on the snare is all brand new for him, the shell itself is older. I am very grateful I get to tinker with some drums and cymbals these days, being a now disabled drum tech and dad. Working on his stuff is the best.