header.nohb.html

Your latest cymbal purchase.....

tbird8450

Reaction score

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought a Bosphorus 12" yesterday, 346 grams, which is a Master Vintage on the top and a Master on the bottom.

e7qwh530xzuthji5unyb.jpg
afcn9q4235a8hkce01z0.jpg

curly

Reaction score
Well, I am quite excited about these. Can't wait to get to play them!

The 20 Elvin is a sound I think I've been after for a long time. Perfect weight for a 20. The 23 and 24 could be quite complimentary to each other. I've had a few members wonder why I've been selling some N&C snares, etc. Well, this is why!

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

The 20 Elvin is a sound I think I've been after for a long time. Perfect weight for a 20. The 23 and 24 could be quite complimentary to each other. I've had a few members wonder why I've been selling some N&C snares, etc. Well, this is why!

Yeah, I can't pick a favorite there!

Very, very nice!

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score

Oh yeah! Great selection! Hope you like them live too. :)

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very very happy about this one from Gerry. Sounds like a mix between a Bill Stewart K complex Dry and an Agop first edition Matt Chamberlain. From one of the many Diril brands.

Sounds nice! But based on the crash sound and pitch, I expect it to have a significantly lower profile than a KCDCR?

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds nice! But based on the crash sound and pitch, I expect it to have a significantly lower profile than a KCDCR?
We shall see. I think it still sounds high(er) profile based on its response, but very few are as high as the KCDCR. I’ve owned like 3 of them, and can never get them sounding like I want them to. The concept I love…sounds great when Bill Plays them, but I guess with my touch and volume level I play at when playing acoustic jazz gigs, they come off as harsh. This seems like a good middle ground, I’m hoping!

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sensing some trends here. Thanks to @curly, and of course Lasse, this one will be on its way to me shortly:

And just in case any of you jokers get any ideas on Curly's scores, I got dibs on that 23 if he decides its not to his liking, I probably would have grabbed that one if he hadn't. So I've figuratively laid my scent all over that one (sorry Eric).

And not to be undone, I also followed in Ptrick's footsteps and purchased this earlier today from Gerry (aka hazelshould). I've had a quest for a paper thin 20 just for big crashes for sometime, if this doesnt do it I dont know what will:

I've been real disciplined with cymbal purchases over the last few years. I've got a nice stable and I'm underwhelmed more often than not with purchases just given the gems already in the collection. But I've got the itch real bad lately. Im really looking forward to these two.

Ptrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm sensing some trends here. Thanks to @curly, and of course Lasse, this one will be on its way to me shortly:

And just in case any of you jokers get any ideas on Curly's scores, I got dibs on that 23 if he decides its not to his liking, I probably would have grabbed that one if he hadn't. So I've figuratively laid my scent all over that one (sorry Eric).

And not to be undone, I also followed in Ptrick's footsteps and purchased this earlier today from Gerry (aka hazelshould). I've had a quest for a paper thin 20 just for big crashes for sometime, if this doesnt do it I dont know what will:

I've been real disciplined with cymbal purchases over the last few years. I've got a nice stable and I'm underwhelmed more often than not with purchases just given the gems already in the collection. But I've got the itch real bad lately. Im really looking forward to these two.
NICE pick ups! Both the Funch and that Masterwork have a similar silvery/glassy kind of sound that I think will work together.

Reactions: owr

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, same back at ya on that Diril. I waffled over the different Funch options for a long time. The most soundfile listening I've done in a while. What I really wanted going in was a beefier 22" in one of his old stamp clones, maybe around 2500 - 2600. There wasn't much in that range in this batch, but after listening to them over and over I kept coming back to that 22. There's something about the wash that appeals to me, I'm hearing it as a low pitched drone that should sit nicely below some of the music I play without a lot of midrange. We'll see when she arrives.

For the masterwork, I've been doing a lot of low volume rock n roll lately. It started with outdoor acoustic jams during the early part of the pandemic when no one wanted to play inside together. More recently it's been rehearsing with a new band in a very small living room with neighbor volume concerns. I love big crashes and have a 50s A I typically use, but lacked something that opens up with the slightest touch. Most of the options out there like the Agop xist or the sabian hhx xtreme are very cool but a bit too trashy for me for general use. These Masterworks seem to have a bit more of a traditional crash tone to them. Ive never had one, been off the modern turkish kick for awhile so Im excited to try it out. You can't beat the pricing on these either.

NICE pick ups! Both the Funch and that Masterwork have a similar silvery/glassy kind of sound that I think will work together.

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Treated myself to a little ‘Black Friday’ love courtesy of GC’s used department… I’ve had my eyes and ears on one of these for the past few months and one popped up at a reasonable price. 21” K Custom Organic ride… only had it a couple of days and not a ton of play time on it but it’s got a great mix of low dark tone but with a bright ping on top… surprisingly versatile.

C0749BAA-CA76-4319-ACCE-83379CBD8815.jpeg
B8BC0D0C-D61D-4669-B3AC-F765AFB8C8E0.jpeg

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score

Great sounding Funch, clear and smoky at the same time. Would have guessed over 2400 gr if I didn't know the weight.

I just gigged my 2600 gr Funch (IIIb clone) and 15" Nefertiti hats (plus a Longo cherry snare) 2 days ago for the first time, and oh boy, they sounded fantastic. It was really nice to get to hear them outside of the (one) rehearsal room, which can definitely start to color your opinion on your gear.

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smoky is a great word to describe what I am hearing there, thank you. And you are equally to blame for this purchase, thank you for all the sharing you've done in recent years. Your youtube videos have been a great resource for triangulating against Lasse's.

Great sounding Funch, clear and smoky at the same time. Would have guessed over 2400 gr if I didn't know the weight.

I just gigged my 2600 gr Funch (IIIb clone) and 15" Nefertiti hats (plus a Longo cherry snare) 2 days ago for the first time, and oh boy, they sounded fantastic. It was really nice to get to hear them outside of the (one) rehearsal room, which can definitely start to color your opinion on your gear.

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Smoky is a great word to describe what I am hearing there, thank you. And you are equally to blame for this purchase, thank you for all the sharing you've done in recent years. Your youtube videos have been a great resource for triangulating against Lasse's.

Thank you!
Triangulating. I know exactly what you mean, great term. :)

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got suckered into yet another holiday deal… Chicago Music Exchange had this guy on super sale, 14” Concept Shop Rib Hammered hi-hat top. Weighs in at +/- 780gr so it’s thin enough, not as trashy as I expected… paired with a Sabian AA Medium bottom (1300ish grams) it plays beautifully. Not the biggest chick but it plays tight and sloshy with equal ease. Certainly “A” sounding in tone. I think it’s a keeper.

AD9D4298-0D17-4816-A76C-B908542F9631.jpeg
561DBCC8-40FF-489F-BC20-6E0F4B1C2073.jpeg