Your latest cymbal purchase.....

coyote

Reaction score
My latest? Sabian 18” AA Raw Bell Crash, which functions as my primary ride cymbal for jazz. But ‘latest’ is a relative term, as I purchased this cymbal years ago. It’s an all-around great cymbal. Clear stick sound, not too much buildup of wash, hits quick and cuts out quick when crashed, clear and modern yet dark-ish tone… and a great bell.

4CF9183A-1318-48D1-AD64-14B65CD8C010.jpeg

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My latest? Sabian 18” AA Raw Bell Crash, which functions as my primary ride cymbal for jazz. But ‘latest’ is a relative term, as I purchased this cymbal years ago. It’s an all-around great cymbal. Clear stick sound, not too much buildup of wash, hits quick and cuts out quick when crashed, clear and modern yet dark-ish tone… and a great bell.
Not a cymbal I would normally be drawn toward, but your description makes sense and I can imagine the cymbal sounding great in that context.

coyote

Reaction score
Not a cymbal I would normally be drawn toward, but your description makes sense and I can imagine the cymbal sounding great in that context.
What I did to purchase it: I went to a few local stores that I know have a great variety of cymbals. And I just played them. Did not look at the “factory label”, at whether the manufacturer believes it to be a ‘ride’ or ‘crash’ or whatever. I simply went after the sounds I heard in my head. Played dozens and dozens of cymbals. At the time I was curious about the high-end Paiste line, but none of them could both ride and crash the way I wanted. I had each store pull the ones I liked out of sellable stock for a couple days, just to “clear my ears”, then revisited them. And this one was IT.

Quai34

Reaction score
View attachment 531818 I got this whopping 23 agop sig ride! Feels like I've been searching for this sound forever
I have a 23", a Zildjian A Custom Sweet ride 25th anniversary and this one, by comparaison of the photo, seems to be a ??? 28", even 30"!!! The finish and work on this cymbaI is crazy, I have to try this brand but no way I could find them in my store...Well, I think I have sent few of them in one of my store at Long and Mac Quade...

O

Ox Han

Agean low volume jazz set

20 ride, 14 hi hats, 16 and 18 crashes.

The ride and crashes sound great. The hi hats are almost electronic sounding... Maybe they will grow on me, but searching for low volume hi hats that sound more natural.
Did you find anything better? From what I've heard on the internet, agean 14" natural R hats are the most realistic sounding pair of practice hats. I just ordered 14,16,20 set and will find out I guess.

How does the 18" natural R crash work as a crash/ride?

petereather

Reaction score

View attachment 531824
That sounds like what I am looking for Good For You

Masecar

Reaction score
How does it fit in with this Agop Sig?

Honestly the Agop Sig doesn't really fit in with any of my cymbals. It's incredibly dark (in the literal sense of having little top end) and very quiet. Still a cool cymbal. The K fits in very well with my Sand Hats, HHX Complex Thin, and whichever ride I'm feeling at any given moment.

marc3k

Reaction score
Honestly the Agop Sig doesn't really fit in with any of my cymbals. It's incredibly dark (in the literal sense of having little top end) and very quiet. Still a cool cymbal. The K fits in very well with my Sand Hats, HHX Complex Thin, and whichever ride I'm feeling at any given moment.

That's interesting! For me it's the other way round: all of my cymbals are Agops and now I have a new Zildjian and I think it doesn't fit in...

DrumPhil

Reaction score
I picked up an 18" K Special Dry Crash during the Black Friday special. Tested a whole pile of them, and found this one to be to my liking! Fast is the word.

I got in on that deal too. Price was too good to pass up, and I think it will be pretty usable. It could even serve as a trashy, light ride. The bell is too tall to work in a stack, though, which is another way I was thinking about using it.

I also grabbed a Wuhan 12-inch Linear Smash Splash really cheap. Fast, bright, and trashy; it works in a stack, but with all those holes the decay is almost instant.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Are you sure about that? I have never ever seen an 18" cymbal that under 1000 gr, not sure if I have even seen one under 1100 gr.

There was an 18" Zildjian trans stamp sold on here a few months back that weighed 1035 gm. I own an 18" trans stamp at 983 gm (accurate digital scale). So they're out there.

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
There was an 18" Zildjian trans stamp sold on here a few months back that weighed 1035 gm. I own an 18" trans stamp at 983 gm (accurate digital scale). So they're out there.

Noticed also that there's some Masterwork ultra thin 18s out there, thinnest I saw was 94x grams. Sounded almost like a splash on the demo, holy moly.