Your latest cymbal purchase.....

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
1960's small stamp Zildjian 20" ride at 1875 gm. Measures 20-1/8" so effectively 1850 gm. Stored in a cloth bag over decades so moisture and mildew likely ate into the finish. The stains have that look of "fabric" imprints. No worries though....as it's right up there with the best sounding A rides I've ever had.

The bell is clearly lathed in the SSA 1950's style. 1/2" bell hole (enlarged or made in '58?). Sounds a lot like a med thin trans stamp....a near twin in tone to my 1838 gm T.3 trans stamp......as well as my 1908 gm pre-trans "unstamped" 20 in. 3 cymbals sounding very much alike.

I suspect this could be one of those mid-50's cymbals that was pulled out of the vault in the 1960's for stamping. I compared all my 50's to 60's stamps and could not identify any significant differences in this 60's small stamp and my other small stamp 60's. The stamp is well struck though much like how you would expect a small stamp 50's to typically be. Tonally, it's clearly different than all of the small stamp 50's cymbals I've had that for the most part were dry, dark, and subtle - missing some or most high tones.....more 2 dimensional. This "60's" has a full tonal spread....brighter and more lively, yet while giving deeper, breathy, resonant lows. Looks awful....plays great.

Attachments

• IMG_6454.JPG
    IMG_6454.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6455.JPG
    IMG_6455.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1960's small stamp Zildjian 20" ride at 1875 gm. Measures 20-1/8" so effectively 1850 gm. Bought it as un-stamped and un-weighed. I just figured there probably was a Zildjian die stamp under some of that crusty brown and green toning. Stored in a bag over decades so moisture and mildew likely ate into the finish. No worries though....as it's right up there with the best sounding A rides I've ever had.

The bell is clearly lathed in the SSA 1950's style. 1/2" bell hole (enlarged?). The entire bow of the cymbal shows fine and shallow lathing....not really that "rings of Saturn" look.....if it is could just be much fainter.
Sounds just like a med thin trans stamp....a near twin to my 1838 gm T.3 trans stamp.

I suspect this could be one of those mid-50's cymbals that was pulled out of the vault in the 1960's for stamping. I compared all my 50's to 60's stamps and could not identify any significant differences in this 60's small stamp and my other small stamp 60's. The stamp is well struck though much like how you would expect a small stamp 50's to typically be. Tonally, it's clearly different than all of the small stamp 50's cymbals I've had that for the most part were dry, dark, and subtle - missing some or most high tones.....more 2 dimensional. This "60's" has a full tonal spread....brighter and more lively, yet while giving deeper, breathy, resonant lows. Looks awful....plays great.
My favorite “crash” is my dad’s old 50’s small stamp 20” at 1888g. I bet that sounds great

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
1960's small stamp Zildjian 20" ride at 1875 gm. Measures 20-1/8" so effectively 1850 gm. Bought it as un-stamped and un-weighed. I just figured there probably was a Zildjian die stamp under some of that crusty brown and green toning. Stored in a bag over decades so moisture and mildew likely ate into the finish. No worries though....as it's right up there with the best sounding A rides I've ever had.

The bell is clearly lathed in the SSA 1950's style. 1/2" bell hole (enlarged?). The entire bow of the cymbal shows fine and shallow lathing....not really that "rings of Saturn" look.....if it is could just be much fainter.
Sounds just like a med thin trans stamp....a near twin to my 1838 gm T.3 trans stamp.

Beauty!

In your view, what are some of the key distinctions in sound that separate the small and large stamp 50's A's?

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Beauty!

In your view, what are some of the key distinctions in sound that separate the small and large stamp 50's A's?
I'm still evaluating that. I was sort of slow to get to the large stamps. But having gone through about a dozen large stamps in the 18's to 22's.....they are really not that much
different than the later 50's small stamps. Both are dry, dark, and subtle.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm still evaluating that. I was sort of slow to get to the large stamps. But having gone through about a dozen large stamps in the 18's to 22's.....they are really not that much
different than the later 50's small stamps. Both are dry, dark, and subtle.

Yeah. I would agree on dry and dark, especially compared to modern A's.
I just got my first Large/Block Stamp ride and I really like it.
I like "Subtle" to describe it, makes sense with what I'm hearing. Have you ever owned a heavier one?

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah. I would agree on dry and dark, especially compared to modern A's.
I just got my first Large/Block Stamp ride and I really like it.
I like "Subtle" to describe it, makes sense with what I'm hearing. Have you ever owned a heavier one?

Heaviest Large Block 22 I've had is a medium 2825 gm. So not much different than the 2600's and 2700's. One's I've had ranged from 2350-2825.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Heaviest Large Block 22 I've had is a medium 2825 gm. So not much different than the 2600's and 2700's. One's I've had ranged from 2350-2825.
Agree with this! 22" Block Stamps are my favorites. I have one in the 2200 range, but my favorite is 2832 grams I think. And yes, it plays and sounds much like something I would expect a 2500isg gram model to sound. These are magical cymbals to me.

Mike

ChicagoDave

Reaction score

I've got one with stains like that. Looks like it's been barfed on a couple of times.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Zildjian 22 inch trans stamp type 3 at 2808 gm. Been hunting for one of these for about 2 yrs now. This is very clean all around with nice edges and perfect bell hole. Measures 22-1/8" all around so the effective weight is 2768 gm at 22.0 in. Sounds very good for this size with that inner church bell "ring" that many of these have. A/K qualities with woody stick and "growl" that lasts. This trans A 22 is not all that separated from the 60's/70's old K's. A's are just a bit sweeter and brighter. Looks like it sat for decades untouched with that crusty and dusty look to it. Maybe the only "flaw" with this 22 is that the tone is very deep and dry, especially the crash. Will take some time to get used to that. The heavy gray/brown toning could be contributing to that. I gave it a light soap and water sponge bath already but not much in the way of dirt came off.

IMG_6482.JPG
IMG_6486.JPG

IMG_6484.JPG IMG_6483.JPG

Last edited:

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There's a pretty good story behind this one. I'd been wanting to get a second pair of hats that would be a different sound palette from the hats I've been playing for several years now. My long time hats are 13" K Custom Dark. Love them! I hadn't really found anything that "floated my boat" so to speak. And then... a couple of weeks ago, my buddy, Joel Rosenblatt, was in town doing a couple of nights hitting with Chieli Minucci and Special EFX. I remembered last time Joel played this venue he had mentioned to me that he wasn't crazy about the house kit snare. One of my snares is one of his favorites (I have it because he recommended it to me)... so I offered to let him use my snare for the show. I ended up letting him use my bass drum pedal and hi hat stand too. Met the guys when they showed up at the venue for soundcheck on the first day to get the gear to Joel. Joel invited me to stick around and hang with them basically for the whole night. When Joel set up, he was showing me his cymbals. All great cymbals! As I was sitting there listening to the soundcheck and then the show later, I really loved the hi hats he was using and it got me to thinking that maybe I had found the hats I'm looking for. They are A Avedis 15" hats. The day after they were gone, I texted Joel to ask him about the weights on those hats, as I had found a couple of pair that I liked at Memphis Drum Shop and was thinking about getting them. Turns out Joel's top hat is only 1 gram different than the pair my ears told me were best at MDS, and the bottom hat is a bit lighter than Joel's. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger on them. Very happy with them... great hats!!!

Anyway, here are a couple of videos. The first one is Memphis Drum Shop's demo video of the exact hats that I bought. And the second video is one I took with my phone of Joel playing his hats at that show a couple of weeks ago. This video is really cool in that I'm sitting super close, the sound is amazing for having shot it with my iPhone 13 Pro, and all those cats are just amazing players! Stick with it towards the end where Joel displays some really nice solo work too! His musicianship throughout is off the charts good. I just love the way he phrases things!