Your latest cymbal purchase.....

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My three latest were a 20” K Const Bounce Ride, 18” K dark Medium Thin Crash, and 21” A Sweet Ride. The first two came from forum members and are definitely keepers. I keep going back-and-forth on whether I will keep or sell the Sweet Ride. I have had a few Sweet Rides. Also got a 22” K Custom Dark Ride recently.

What have you noticed as the differences between sweet rides? I've seen a decent weight variance between individual cymbals and have heard people describe them with completely different sets of descriptors.

nm999

Reaction score
My newest addition. Zildjian 24” Classic Orchestral Selection, Special Selection.
E9980970-17DD-48CF-8900-A3C720D9C20F.jpeg

Last edited:

justensen

Reaction score
Picked up this 19" Dream Bliss Crash Ride today from the good folks at The Drum Shop - Maine. My go to crash is of the same model but an older run, it's built up a nice patina with a bit a dryness over the years. Hoping this one ages just as well.

Gunnellett

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been looking a while for one of these. I've had a "wanted" ad in my local Craigslist for 2 years with no luck other than a gentleman wanting my first born for one. I'm a patient person and it worked out.

I just picked up what looks like a pre serial number Paiste 20" White Label Beat.

The printed labels are long gone so I'm gauging what it is by the orientation of the Paiste stamp. Let me know if I'm wrong here.

The hammering is not as pronounced as my other Giant Beats.

Lots of patina.

Weighs 1902 grams.

Attachments

• 20220723_193428.jpg
    20220723_193428.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220723_193447.jpg
    20220723_193447.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 14

Gunnellett

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been looking a while for one of these. I've had a "wanted" ad in my local Craigslist for 2 years with no luck other than a gentleman wanting my first born for one. I'm a patient person and it worked out.

I just picked up what looks like a pre serial number Paiste 20" White Label Beat.

The printed labels are long gone so I'm gauging what it is by the orientation of the Paiste stamp. Let me know if I'm wrong here.

Lots of patina.

Weighs 1902 grams.
Oh, I forgot to mention.

I used Zenstat's most excellent website, cymbal.wiki, to help identify this cymbal.

712drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My three latest were a 20” K Const Bounce Ride, 18” K dark Medium Thin Crash, and 21” A Sweet Ride. The first two came from forum members and are definitely keepers. I keep going back-and-forth on whether I will keep or sell the Sweet Ride. I have had a few Sweet Rides. Also got a 22” K Custom Dark Ride recently.
Already thinking of selling all of the above except the Bounce ride. It’s a sickness. :). Actually already sold the A Sweet Ride.

type85

Reaction score

Lots of patina.

Weighs 1902 grams.

Definitely a white label, how much did you pay for it?
As a rule of thumb, if it has a serial #, then it's more likely to be a black label.

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very cool 18" Alejian (B-grade Zildjians sold by Slingerland company), bought from @Sequimite at the Chehalis meet-- it caught my attention because it's so similar in design to my "A-type" Cymbal & Gong cymbals. Sound is quite similar, it's a little louder, not quite as pretty as the C&Gs, but it blends quite well:

type85

Reaction score
Paiste 15" Formula 602 Sound Edge Hi-hats.

6 digit serial numbers starting with "2" so I think these are from 72.

Top is 999 grams
Bottom is 1179 grams

The labels on the top of the top hat are missing but all of the other labels are legible.
Yes! Those are the 1st. year serials were applied, what's' the full number(s)??

nm999

Reaction score
Cool!
What's it like? How does it work as part of a drum set?
It's great! Surprisingly versatile. It has a great stick that's not too washy unless you want it to be. Nice clear bell with kind of an old thin K sound. It's also very crash-able for a big cymbal. This is a 2001 date code cymbal and is what the newer Zildjian Concept Shop 24" Classic Orchestral Ride that is intended for drum set is based on. I would say it's like a more controllable version of the 21" K Brilliant Crash Ride.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's great! Surprisingly versatile. It has a great stick that's not too washy unless you want it to be. Nice clear bell with kind of an old thin K sound. It's also very crash-able for a big cymbal. This is a 2001 date code cymbal and is what the newer Zildjian Concept Shop 24" Classic Orchestral Ride that is intended for drum set is based on. I would say it's like a more controllable version of the 21" K Brilliant Crash Ride.

I didn't know that there is an orchestral ride that is intended for drumset. That's cool.
How much does it weigh?

nm999

Reaction score
I didn't know that there is an orchestral ride that is intended for drumset. That's cool.
How much does it weigh?
I haven't weighed it yet to get an exact gram weight but it feels and plays medium-light. Below is the description of the newer Concept Shop version.

https://zildjian.com/cymbals/drumset/concept-shop/24-classic-orchestral-ride.html
"The 24" Classic Orchestral ride is a bigger, bolder version of the 22" Classic Orchestral Special Selection band cymbal, but built for the drum set. While it might sound strange to apply a band cymbal design to a drum set cymbal, this Classic Orchestral ride is hardly the first! In fact, the entire K Constantinople series was inspired by our orchestral K Cons."

"In terms of weight, the 24" Classic Orchestral ride sits between the 24" K Light Ride and the 24" A Medium Ride. Its dense K Custom hammering gives it more complexity than the 24" K Light, and its lighter bell gives it a richer and more blended sound compared to the 24" A Medium Ride. A high shape provides great stick, while topside buffing leaves a stunning brilliant finish, which also reins in the higher frequencies and allows the underside to resonate fully."

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nicely said.

My epiphany came in the form of a back line set in the mid-90’s at a festival on the Milwaukee lakefront. On it, a 20” Rude Ride-Crash.

My first thought, “Rude? Ride-Crash? Oh ——.”

Boy, was I surprised. What I thought would be a shrilly ping was a balanced and warm (particularly in the context of the outdoor venue and loud band) tone.

Ever since, I’ve listened to them with changed ears, and could very easily see a 19 or 20 Crash or Crash-Ride as a main ride in a jazz combo.
For a few years I played a 19” Rude ride/crash as my primary ride. It’s was such a great cymbal. The only reason I don’t still have it is that the original owner wanted to buy it back. He’s a good friend of mine so I could t say no.