Your latest cymbal purchase.....

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides my 83 11 inch, I've never seen a 2002 11 inch, in real life. I have only seen one other in a video for mycymbal. com, and one tore up one on ebay. Black label makes it ever so rare. Congrats!!!
Thanks! It was priced quite nicely and I knew they weren’t common so I didn’t waste much time jumping on it.

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scored 18 medium and 17 medium paiste 2002s from garage sale. 17 has small repair but got both for $150. Never tried 2002 mediums but will give them a tryout tonight View attachment 575657
I’m not sure but I don’t think 17” Mediums are that common. I have some 20” Mediums and some 18s in black label. Lately my black label 20” Medium has become my primary ride. Nice score!

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not a purchase but a trade. Just acquired this 20" K Con High Bell Medium Thin High.

Haven't really had a chance to put it through the paces yet, but I'm intrigued; first taps reveal a very defined stick sound along with a lush crash and what seems like a better bell than many of my other K Cons. Interestingly, for a cymbal with a slightly higher pitch, the crash has a very low fundamental pitch, making for a complex and interesting spread. Didn't mind that it came with 3 rivet holes, I may just install some myself.

Figured this can be a versatile cymbal serving as a primary ride, left side ride, crash or crash/ride when necessary.

IMG_1219.jpg

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I traded cymbals at the swap meet and I'm becoming more and more intrigued with my "new" cymbal. It started as an Istanbul Mehmet Original 2360 gram 22" ride. Originals were/are intended to be a duplicate of the last decade of K's before Zildjian left Turkey. The previous owner sent it to Heather Stine, who lathed it down to 2212 grams. It has a cutting ride sound and the 5 1/2" squashed bell gives a roughly equal volume with the stick tip. The crash is excellent, but with a long decay. I've spent my life crashing cymbals with a sideways glancing blow and with this one, and other large crash/rides, I'm striking straight down in order to shorten the decay. Using this method to slightly muffle the ring I get a crash that I really love. After cycling through twenty Turkish-made ride cymbals I think this may remain my main ride for a long time.

That thing looks beautiful.
Are you playing lighter music?
The big, flat bell looks tasty.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrong thread, but succinctly: I wanted drums and cymbals that sounded great with sticks, rods or brushes. Tempus/Milestone are the drums. The cymbals are hand made Turkish, mostly Bosphorus and Istanbul Mehmet. I have one cymbal set optimized for brushes I've used. I'm currently trying to get to less cymbals to cover all genres I'd be playing as I currently have way too many cymbals.

Gunnellett

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m not sure but I don’t think 17” Mediums are that common. I have some 20” Mediums and some 18s in black label. Lately my black label 20” Medium has become my primary ride. Nice score!
Would your medium be considered a crash or a ride? Do you happen to know the weight of yours?

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would your medium be considered a crash or a ride? Do you happen to know the weight of yours?
In Paiste speak a Medium is considered middle of the road between a crash and a ride, i.e. “crash ride”. I’m not at home at the moment so I’m not sure of the weight of mine.

This is a handy reference and is usually very close on the listed weights. http://black.net.nz/paiste/paiste-wts-by-series.xlsx

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Zildjian 20" trans stamp type 1 at 2587 gm. Decided to buy this as it was the first type 1 20" or larger I've run across that was buyable. And there were fairly few opportunities at any price the past few years.

Oddly, it's very flexible for the medium-heavy weight....so was my heavy 22" 2nd stamp. Bell hole is a tiny 10 mm (13/32") so a step smaller than the normally seen 7/16" (11 mm). It's the first trans stamp, or for that matter any vintage A I've run into with a smaller than 7/16" bell hole on a big cymbal. I think I recall seeing a smaller 50's A with this bell hole.....as well as 15" Type 3 old K Istanbul hi hats and some old K Cons. The KCons sometimes can be as small as 8 mm on the bell hole.

So already this Type 1 trans stamp is not typical at all of the trans stamp line. It has a build just like my 22" 2nd Stamp.....with wide heavy hammer marks around the entire edge. My 22" 2nd stamp mainly keeps the big hammering confined to one half of the cymbal edge....but bigger in size and "distortion." The bell on this trans Type 1 is UNDER 5"...probably 4-3/4"....a size I've seen one other time on an A......an 18" SSA Zildjian 50's small stamp. And tonally, this trans type 1 sounds like a miniature version of the 22 2nd stamp....I mean the SAME. I wouldn't put it in the trans stamp family....it's more K than A (40/60 or 30/70?). My 20/22 are "more primitive" looking in the hand hammering than typical trans stamps....and both of them show considerable warping in their profile....from what I don't know....casting, shaping, annealing, hammering or both? I've yet to run into Type 2,3,4 trans stamps with this look or sound. These earlier builds play more like 1940's old K Istanbuls or late 30's KCons.....very distinct stick, minimal wash, great clarity in tone....the complexity is not there though. So I'm thinking this 20" might be a 2nd stamp casting and build that was given a trans stamp type 1 in the first couple of post War Years. Was Avedis emptying out the old inventory stockpiled during the war???? Not having heard or handled other type 1 trans stamps....I can't say. But now I know there are early "trans stamps" out there that really aren't trans stamps....at least not like the type 3's we're so used to hearing. If Avedis told his guys to make a few A's more like the K Istanbuls....this might be sort of be that.

The 2nd photo of the group is the 22 2nd stamp to allow a direct comparison to the 20" in the first photo. you wanted to compare it directly to the 20" trans type 1. All the other photos are of the 20".

IMG_6617.JPG
IMG_6396.JPG

IMG_6784.JPG
IMG_6619.JPG

IMG_6785.JPG
IMG_6782.JPG

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Zildjian 20" trans stamp type 1 at 2587 gm. Decided to buy this as it was the first type 1 20" or larger I've run across that was buyable. And there were fairly few opportunities at any price the past few years.

Oddly, it's very flexible for the medium-heavy weight....so was my heavy 22" 2nd stamp. Bell hole is a tiny 10 mm (13/32") so a step smaller than the normally seen 7/16" (11 mm). It's the first trans stamp, or for that matter any vintage A I've run into with a smaller than 7/16" bell hole on big cymbal. I think I recall seeing a smaller 50's A with this bell hole.....as well as a Type 3 old K Istanbul and some old K Cons. The KCons sometimes can as small as 8 mm on the bell hole.

So already this Type 1 trans stamp is not typical at all of the trans stamp line. It has a build just like my 22" 2nd Stamp.....with wide heavy hammer marks around the entire edge. My 22" 2nd stamp mainly keeps the big hammering confined to one half of the cymbal edge....but bigger in size and "distortion." The bell on this trans Type 1 is UNDER 5"...probably 4-3/4"....a size I've seen one other time on an A......an 18" SSA Zildjian 50's small stamp. And tonally, this trans type 1 sounds like a miniature version of the 22 2nd stamp....I mean the SAME. I wouldn't put it in the trans stamp family....it's more K than A (40/60 or 30/70?). My 20/22 are "more primitive" looking in the hand hammering than typical trans stamps....and both of them show considerable warping in their profile....from what I don't know....casting, shaping, annealing, hammering or both? I've yet to run into Type 2,3,4 trans stamps with this look or sound. These earlier builds play more like 1940's old K Istanbuls or late 30's KCons.....very distinct stick, minimal wash, great clarity in tone....the complexity is not there though. So I'm thinking this 20" might be a 2nd stamp casting and build that was given a trans stamp type 1 in the first couple of post War Years. Was Avedis emptying out the old inventory stockpiled during the war???? Not having heard or handled other type 1 trans stamps....I can't say. But now I know there are early "trans stamps" out there that really aren't trans stamps....at least not like the type 3's we're so used to hearing. If Avedis told his guys to make a few A's more like the K Istanbuls....this might be sort of be that.

The 2nd photo of the group is the 22 2nd stamp to allow a direct comparison to the 20" in the first photo. you wanted to compare it directly to the 20" trans type 1. All the other photos are of the 20".

View attachment 576223 View attachment 576239

View attachment 576240 View attachment 576241

View attachment 576242 View attachment 576243

Wow. What a beauty.
It was originally intended to be used as an Orchestral suspended cymbal, correct?

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow. What a beauty.
It was originally intended to be used as an Orchestral suspended cymbal, correct?

That certainly seems reasonable or even likely. Others around here would know better than me. Both the 20 and 22 have that deeper, darker, drier, crisp tone....and they get out of the way pretty quick after the crescendo is reached. The 20 in trans T.1. reminds me of a K Istanbul 2a (2100 gm) I had not long ago. Still, both work pretty well as ride cymbals with a several nice shank tones available. Full crashes with a stick aren't nearly as useful.

Last edited: