header.nohb.html

Your latest cymbal purchase.....

donbseattle

Reaction score
One of the newly reissued Formula 602's.....black ink, 2530 grams excellent shape I had rivets added by a drum maker pal.

1668669561335.png

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Are these polished? They look like brand new. I bet they sound good.
Together with this 2002 16" crash above I ask myself where you get these gems. Congratulations anyway.
I've bought virtually all my cymbals from Germany, Switzerland, Italy and the 15" hi hats above from the Netherlands.
The bottom hi hat was already pretty clean, it had been cleaned several times. I did remove the oxidation and clean the top cymbal.
What happens with old cymbals is the finish is almost always very dull and oxidized, when you use any kind of abrasive cleaner, it will tend to give the cymbal a semi "polished" look. This is similar but not as extreme as Zildjian's brilliant finish where they hi speed buff the cymbal with a fine abrasive to get a mirror like shine.
There's no way to bring back the original finish as the original surface material has changed to copper and tin oxide, when you remove it with a chemical tarnish remover, you're left with a dull matte finish, using a very fine abrasive cleaner (and hours of hard work) brings back the shine but it has more of a polished look as you can see below.....
The early 16" 2002 was in really good shape, I just used a little tarnish remover to remove the stains, it still has most of it's clear coat, so that helped a great deal!

1668707556762.jpeg

1668708083587.jpeg

zenstat

Reaction score
A thin crash weighing 2530? Ya gotta give some more details on this one!

Don's is a 22" and the weight is not out of range for a 22" Thin Crash. It has shifted from "over 2509g" at first report to 2530g in the second report. This is within the weight and re-weigh variability.

Jump back to here and start reading and you will see another one from the preserial era which weighs 2320g.

That's about 200g or around 8% lighter than the Reissue Don is reporting. You can see 7 indicative weights in the wiki entry although that entry does not specify which era each weight from.

There is a COW (common online wisdom) that Paiste cymbals got heavier proceeding through Preserial, Black Label, Blue Label. The Reissues are thought to fit in with the Black Label weights. I've been collecting weights in order to explore that COW. I've got 16 weights in my database and am about to add 2 more. ;-) That includes 4 Paper Thin models. The idea is to slowly update the wiki weight information to give a more complete picture in a nicer graphical way. The first wiki page I added more details to was 18" Fo602s

and that convinced me we need a nicer way to summarize weights once we get to more than 10 or so examples. I need to solve that before I tackle something like 20" Medium (n=25) and 20" Medium Ride (n=76) where I've got much more data.

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don's is a 22" and the weight is not out of range for a 22" Thin Crash. It has shifted from "over 2509g" at first report to 2530g in the second report. This is within the weight and re-weigh variability.

Jump back to here and start reading and you will see another one from the preserial era which weighs 2320g.

That's about 200g or around 8% lighter than the Reissue Don is reporting. You can see 7 indicative weights in the wiki entry although that entry does not specify which era each weight from.

There is a COW (common online wisdom) that Paiste cymbals got heavier proceeding through Preserial, Black Label, Blue Label. The Reissues are thought to fit in with the Black Label weights. I've been collecting weights in order to explore that COW. I've got 16 weights in my database and am about to add 2 more. ;-) That includes 4 Paper Thin models. The idea is to slowly update the wiki weight information to give a more complete picture in a nicer graphical way. The first wiki page I added more details to was 18" Fo602s

and that convinced me we need a nicer way to summarize weights once we get to more than 10 or so examples. I need to solve that before I tackle something like 20" Medium (n=25) and 20" Medium Ride (n=76) where I've got much more data.

And THIS is a perfect example of why I appreciate your work so much. I could not conceive a crash weighing 2530, but then I had no idea the diameter of what is on offer or being shown as I have limited knowledge of the Paiste brand.

So following your example I went back to my current collection to review the data at hand. I have no 22" crash (though I have had in the past) and my largest crashes are 20" models weighing in at 1570 and 1750. Since I now know we are looking at a 22" cymbal, I went to my 22" rides and they are 2290, 2425 and 2610. The middle of those weights happens to be a UFiP 22" Natural Crash/Ride, and as I find UFiP has more in common with Paiste (sound characteristics) than say Zildjian, I am not surprised to find the weights more similar.

So now I that have context, the idea of a 2500+ 22" crash does not seem out of range at all. I prefer much thinner cymbals in all sizes but I do enjoy crashing my 22" rides so I get it. Thanks for the time to share the information get me to dig a little deeper myself.

Ward

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And THIS is a perfect example of why I appreciate your work so much. I could not conceive a crash weighing 2530, but then I had no idea the diameter of what is on offer or being shown as I have limited knowledge of the Paiste brand.

So following your example I went back to my current collection to review the data at hand. I have no 22" crash (though I have had in the past) and my largest crashes are 20" models weighing in at 1570 and 1750. Since I now know we are looking at a 22" cymbal, I went to my 22" rides and they are 2290, 2425 and 2610. The middle of those weights happens to be a UFiP 22" Natural Crash/Ride, and as I find UFiP has more in common with Paiste (sound characteristics) than say Zildjian, I am not surprised to find the weights more similar.

So now I that have context, the idea of a 2500+ 22" crash does not seem out of range at all. I prefer much thinner cymbals in all sizes but I do enjoy crashing my 22" rides so I get it. Thanks for the time to share the information get me to dig a little deeper myself.

Ward
For comparison I have an 80’s Zildjian A 20” “medium crash” weighing 2452g, so examples over 2500 probably existed

Tarkus

Reaction score
I've bought virtually all my cymbals from Germany, Switzerland, Italy and the 15" hi hats above from the Netherlands.
The bottom hi hat was already pretty clean, it had been cleaned several times. I did remove the oxidation and clean the top cymbal.
What happens with old cymbals is the finish is almost always very dull and oxidized, when you use any kind of abrasive cleaner, it will tend to give the cymbal a semi "polished" look. This is similar but not as extreme as Zildjian's brilliant finish where they hi speed buff the cymbal with a fine abrasive to get a mirror like shine.
There's no way to bring back the original finish as the original surface material has changed to copper and tin oxide, when you remove it with a chemical tarnish remover, you're left with a dull matte finish, using a very fine abrasive cleaner (and hours of hard work) brings back the shine but it has more of a polished look as you can see below.....
The early 16" 2002 was in really good shape, I just used a little tarnish remover to remove the stains, it still has most of it's clear coat, so that helped a great deal!

View attachment 593025

View attachment 593026

Thanks for this comments. I thought about cleaning many times but always decided to leave it as it is and 'call it patina'.
Maybe we should discuss this somewhere else (and I guess it was already discussed a lot)...
Anyway, nice and rare cymbals, before and after.