Your latest cymbal purchase.....

Maggot

Reaction score
I've never owned a flat ride. Idk why, as I think they have the best stick definition I've heard. If I were to use an aux ride, or play open handed, I'd definitely get one. Being I only use 1 ride I like having access to a bell. The 24 2002 ride has just about everything I look for in a ride, very much like the 24 GB. The 2002 has better stick definition, good crashability, and cutting bell. The GB has excellent crashability (basically a 24 inch crash/ride), has an unbelievable wall of sound, a great bell as well. To find a cymbal with all of the above would be great. I kind of want to try the new black label 2002 ride. The way it sounds, and has been described makes it come off as a "prefect ride", but once again with Paiste, I've yet to see one in s store.
I've never played, nor know much about Soultone. Do you know what alloy is used? Are they consistent? Where are they made? How would you describe the sound? *I know, a lot of questions.
I've loved Paiste since I first heard them. However, I have no commitment to any cymbal co. If I like the sound enough, I'll get one. I may start looking around to hear one.
I recently got and traded a Soultone Vintage 18" Crash Ride. It was beautiful, with gorgeous hammering, but wasn't the sound I wanted. They're made in Turkey with B20. They're said to not to be super-consistent. Mine had a pretty but slightly clangy ping and a beautiful dark wash with infinite sustain, and it opened up quickly to mad volume. Those last two qualities didn't work so well for me, but for someone seeking a wash ride for chorus mayhem, or something you could hit during a rock solo with long, smooth sustain, it'd be great. My impression judging from demos, is that for a company selling Turkish cymbals they go for a fairly bright modern sound, but they have a number of different cymbal series.

Ordinarily, I prefer A sounds to K as well, which is why I got the A custom, which seemed much more versatile that the K Custom Fast Crash I was comparing it to. But the K Custom was very well-behaved and might fit right in between my dark, thin 60's A hats and my Sabian Monarch 18". There wasn't an A that opened up right in a small size. I mostly play drums at home, and when I do play out, the last thing I'm worried about is my cymbals projecting.

Last edited:

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
I've never owned a flat ride. Idk why, as I think they have the best stick definition I've heard. If I were to use an aux ride, or play open handed, I'd definitely get one. Being I only use 1 ride I like having access to a bell. The 24 2002 ride has just about everything I look for in a ride, very much like the 24 GB. The 2002 has better stick definition, good crashability, and cutting bell. The GB has excellent crashability (basically a 24 inch crash/ride), has an unbelievable wall of sound, a great bell as well. To find a cymbal with all of the above would be great. I kind of want to try the new black label 2002 ride. The way it sounds, and has been described makes it come off as a "prefect ride", but once again with Paiste, I've yet to see one in s store.
I've never played, nor know much about Soultone. Do you know what alloy is used? Are they consistent? Where are they made? How would you describe the sound? *I know, a lot of questions.
I've loved Paiste since I first heard them. However, I have no commitment to any cymbal co. If I like the sound enough, I'll get one. I may start looking around to hear one.
I played a 24” 2002 ride at GC once and fell in love. It’s a bit too expensive for my taste but holy crap it sounded so good to my ear. It was on display in the cymbal room so I didn’t get a chance to play it with a kit but it’s probably better off that way. I’d have ended up applying for a credit card just to pick it up.

I can’t really speak for Soultone as a whole. This is the only cymbal of theirs I have played or even heard in person. The demo videos make them sound great though and you can get some really good deals on amazon if you look around. I chose it this time because it was cheap ($125 shipped) and the other flat rides in that price range were mostly Zildjian A flat top rides and I didn’t like how they sounded in demo videos. They seemed like they’re made heavy and I wasn’t looking for such a bright ping but rather a defined “tah” if that makes sense. I would definitely recommend giving at least one Soultone a try though. I saw a 26” Soultone Vintage Patina flat ride on amazon for super cheap the other day (after I already bought the 20”). Like I’m talking around $140 new with free shipping. Amazing deal...

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've heard Turkish cymbals, especially the older ones were very inconsistent, but when a player got one, they used em until it was no longer useable. I'll have to start hitting everyone I run across.
As for the 24 2002....YIP, best all around ride I ever played/owned.
The GB is dam close. It has a very different sound, but similar tone. The GB is like playing a wall of beautiful tone, crashes great etc......imo the stick definition could be better. However, it has it's sweet spots when ya need that definition

Maggot

Reaction score
I traded it in and here's why. The A Custom was EXACTLY a major third higher than my other cymbal, and they both could not have rung out more clearly. It was bugging the crap outta me!

Here's the new one.

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Toast Tee, are you referring to the Big Beat series? Technically, those are all classified as multis, but the 24" is a monster! It's more along the lines of the 24" GB and/or 2002 Big Ride with the "wall of sound", but with less glass and sustain. However, the stick has a lot of punch to it, the crash is excellent, and the wash has a hint of trashiness to it. I love mine!
Yip, that's the one.
How you described it, would be the perfect ride.
If it has the stick definition, crashability, and that wall of wash, when wanted...
I can't see a cymbal getting much better.
The GB is quite a bit darker than the 2002 24. Something right in the middle would be perfect!

Moonman

Reaction score
Very good condition. I either like larger cymbals, but 16's usually have a nice attack, and fit in the mix well. I'm a Paiste guy, but still have kept a set of A Customs

Nice! I haven't ran into a pair to try, but they sound great on every video I've seen. The DE line was needed from Paiste imo. Paiste GB 20 has some nice dark overtones, and it's my favorite cymbal. I've got a 19 DE, and will probably start using it with 20, 24 GB's. I think it will make an awesome combo.
What crashes, and ride do you use with it
Great question. I'm searching for the answer to it, myself. I've been using 16" Zildjian K Light hats, 22 K Dark Medium, 20 Sabian HH Suspended, and a Paiste 20" Twenty Light Ride. My Agops and others have been sitting as they just don't fit the bill for this gig. The other day at practice, I went back to 14" New Beats, 20" Sabian Suspended in the main crash position, the Twenty Light Ride in the ride slot and a Paiste Med Light Swish off to the far right. I loved being able to use the Twenty Light ride as a crash and (rarely) ride as most of the songs we rehearsed that day were full of samples from my Roland SPD-SX. It made me want to add Paiste hats and seek a crash first, and possibly 22" ride next. I'd love any input or ideas.

Maggot

Reaction score
I could buy a cymbal every week! Haaalp! There are so many flavors. A lot of real drummers are looking for THE one, as I've been known to do with guitar and bass, but as a dilettante, I just want to sample... My skills are ZBT-level at best.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
vintage 18" medium thin Made in Canada Zilco , with the scimitar stamp . Real nice for $ 24.99 at Long and McQuade . Opens up crisp and fades quickly , doesn't sound cheap at all . Good strong bell . Rides well too .

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Picked up a used K Dark Medium 22" for a really nice price at the CT Drum Show this past Sunday. It was noisy at the show but it sounded/felt like a good one. Great stick definition but also opened up easily.

It so happened that Adam Nussbaum was at the same booth at the time, hanging out and checking out cymbals. I asked him what he thought of this particular KDM. He played it for a while, really listening to the tone. Upon concluding, he said, enthusiastically, "Yeah, that's a nice cymbal."

Considering his pedigree with cymbals, that was some good reassurance.

I still need to get it on a gig to really put it through the paces, but it does seem to be a nice one.

I had one once before that was, I believe, a little too heavy for my taste. This one seems to play darker and thinner.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Last week I visited Wood & Weather Vintage Drum Shop in Indian Orchard, MA. There were so many fantastic drums there, but I walked out with a real prize - a set of 14" Paiste Signature Medium Light Hats. After a week of playing them, they may be the nicest sounding hats I have ever owned.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
18" Sabian Ed Thigpen Crystal Ride .

Traded for a 17" Exodus Rock Crash

20 minutes ago .

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I purchased a later 1960s Trixon set locally and it came with a Germany made 18" Ludwig Standard by Paiste crash and a pair of 14" K Zildjian high hats. Best I can tell, the Zildjians are Type IIb stamp. The Paiste is OK, but I am liking the K Zildjians a lot.

Attachments

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
To be? Or not to be? That is the question.

Not that it matters, but the hats are 3A not 2B according to my criteria. There are diagnostic differences to be seen in several portions of the trademark. But the details are missing or misleading in most places where the differences are illustrated. Even my own site is (shock horror) out of date.

The star in your example is easier to see (smaller and placed differently than in the type 2). May I have permission to use your image for an improved annotation? The other differences between the 2 and 3 are to be seen in the pattern of MADE IN TURKEY (type 2 pattern with shorter in) versus the type 3 pattern of same size MADE IN TURKEY. And there are other differences in the relative sizes of the two ZILDJIAN and the ISTANBUL, as well as the details of which portions of letters are not as well impressed. A world of detail. What hasn't stood up to statistical analysis is the claim that the positioning of the large K (above or below the rest of ZILDJIAN which is different on the two examples here) is diagnostic, and that the angle of the lower ZILDJIAN (for example the slope on the 3A example versus flat on the 2B example I've shown) is diagnostic. Neither of those claims has stood the test of analysis to date.

Last edited:

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
zenstat,
I am way out of by comfort zone with identifying K Zildjians so I appreciate your insight.
You can use my pictures however you want. I will supply you with information about weights, etc... when I have the opportunity.
Rick

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just bought a UFIP Natural series 21" Light Ride. Picked it up through the Amazon deals for $152.20
Now to sit an pray in hopes that it can persevere in transit with the crappy zero packaging that Amazon uses!
UFIP_21.png

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Friday :
Two slightly cracked - at-the-edge 20" Paiste 2002's . One screened " crash" the other " medium " ( not ride ) . I went to the seller's rehearsal space and him and the band were running down a serious death metal set .Spent the afternoon repairing the damage . The result is stellar in the crash-ride category . Neither designation gongy or washed out . The pieces I cut out make them very controllable without compromising the iconic 2002 shimmer .

70 bucks for both .

Latest posts