Your latest cymbal purchase.....

Maggot

Reaction score
I've got this coming from Reverb. I'm pretty much set for cymbals, but my largest (which fulfills its function just fine) is 18" and I wanted a full size ride that also wasn't all that loud, mostly for feel. I looked at a few flat rides, but I'd set myself a hard cap $150, and got this Sabian XS20 Monarch 22" on Reverb. Should be fun for living room play, and I'm hoping to tempt the drummer for my band into using some cymbals other than the loudest, washiest Wuhan crash/rides ever.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Monarch is the only cymbal in the entire Big & Ugly series that rang my bell. Congrats. I'll wager that that cymbal will fulfill every trait that you were seeking. And a bonus - it's definitely not ugly!!!!

GeeDeeEmm

Maggot

Reaction score
I have an 18" XSR Monarch that I like a lot. I can try double-Monarch when I want to go dark, or use the 18" as a ride if I'm looking for brighter sounds.

deegeebee

Reaction score
Just got a deliciously light 22" K dark medium ride (2009). At 2694 g it is the lightest I have ever head of and has a perfect stick, wash and bell. Best all purpose ride I have ever Owned. Not quite as dark and complex as my K Con Medium (2560 g) but will cut better for the rockier stuff I am playing these days so should see plenty of play.

Anyone else using one of these as their main ride?

Last edited:

TheMattJones88

Reaction score
Just got a 21" and 23" A Sweet Rides from our forum member Eli. So far so good! The 21" has way more definition than the 23". The 23" definitely prefers being a big washy crash in my experience with it. Pretty good shank sound on it though.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just got a 21" and 23" A Sweet Rides from our forum member Eli. So far so good! The 21" has way more definition than the 23". The 23" definitely prefers being a big washy crash in my experience with it. Pretty good shank sound on it though.
Seems to me that a 21" cymbal sort of hits the sweet spot, doesn't it? I've tried several Zildjian and Sabian rides from various lines from 20" up to 23" and the 21 seems to have the best mix of stick definition and wash. There are exceptions, of course, but as a general rule . . . .

GeeDeeEmm

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This past fall I bought a Paiste 602 20” Ride, “Outline” stamp
Black Label with Paiste polished out, only “Formula 602” remains
Serial number 308027
I think this represents a 1973 cymbal. Nice cymbal for a lot of situations, though my other go to ride is a Zildjian K Pre-Aged Dry Light Ride and it has a much more complicated flavour.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
This past fall I bought a Paiste 602 20” Ride, “Outline” stamp
Black Label with Paiste polished out, only “Formula 602” remains
Serial number 308027
I think this represents a 1973 cymbal. Nice cymbal for a lot of situations, though my other go to ride is a Zildjian K Pre-Aged Dry Light Ride and it has a much more complicated flavour.
Yes 1973. Profusely illustrated guide to serial numbers here: http://www.cymbal.wiki/wiki/Paiste_Serial_Numbers

We're still working on whether the different versions of the 602 stamp were in use in different years, and whether they help us understand production years prior to mid 1972. There might be two or more different variations of the "outline" stamp (among others). I'm behind in getting more of the 602 content back into the new wiki, but I can confirm that the black ink at 12 o'clock saying

pAisTe
Formula 602

seemed to go on around 1969 (give or take) so a bit before the serial numbers appear. Model ink at 3 o'clock was still red (for most 602 models) until some years later when it became black. Similarly the hollow ink pAisTe on the underside of the cymbal was a little later. Because many cymbals have lost some (or all) of their ink we need to have a look at thousands of cymbals to try and get a picture of the ink changes.

And as it happens, I'm also slowly trying to bring all the Avedis Zildjian Co model info (including the PADLRs) into the same level of detail as the Pasite info which used to be available. Here's the Pre Aged entry:

I'd be interested in more info on yours to help flesh out weights for different diameters. Eventually the Pasite info plus all Zildjian info (and other brands) will end up in Cymbal.wiki. But that's a long term project to say the least.

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So I recieved the UFIP Natural 21" light ride today. Amazing it survived Amazon's packaging. They just threw it in a flimsy oversized box in it's original factory nylon bag. But it got here OK! I played it for 1 hour and it's exactly what I wanted. It's perfect!
It has me thinking about my other cymbals. I'm sorry to have to say this but UFIP makes the best cymbals period. The sound is unlike nothing else. This is my second UFIP cymbal! It's sad because I have pure Turkish cymbals and have had Paiste & Sabian in the past. These cymbals put everything else to shame. I'm strongly considering doing a full UFIP cymbal flip. I understand now why the retail price is so high. Their is nothing like them! If someone is on the fence about trying them out (like I was), do it!
You won't get it till you hear it and play it in person.

Bonzo442

Reaction score
Picked up first a set of 15 modern essentials hats from a drum forum member then a set of like new 602 15” sound edge hats from another forum member. Then this week picked up from Reverb a 602 22” thin to match my 16,18 & 20 I’m in cymbal heaven. The 15 SE hats are by far my most favorite hats of all time and I know they’re not for every situation but man they are sweet and lightning fast responsive. The 15” is the ticket on sound edge 602’s yet Paiste only makes the 14’s which are to small for such a thin delicate set of cymbals.

Maggot

Reaction score
My son and I went in on a set of Zildjian L-80 low-volume cymbals. They sound a little weird, but they're quiet, they project stick sounds, and their dynamics are a lot like regular cymbals. Hit the bell and it sounds like a bell, crash the edge, step on the hats, etc. Pretty fun, and fairly necessary for me given my aging ears.

I also got the XS20 Monarch pictured above. Like My 18" XSR Monarch, it's dry and dark, but not super sophisticated-sounding. You can wail on it and it doesn't get too loud. The wash sounds good, and is really restrained. It blends well with the 18". It absorbs energy a bit like a flat ride, but like the old XS20 Medium Rides (my main ride at one time), it has a tiny little bell (flatter, and perhaps even smaller on the Monarch), that sounds terrific and projects really nicely. The bell on the Monarch is also easier to find, cuz it's black, and surrounded by concentric, lathed circles, like a bullseye, and it's easy to hit the sweet spot because it's so flat. The bell is the most surprising part of this cymbal.

All in all, it's a nice cymbal. I'm a real part-timer as a drummer, so I'll be using it to play any music I'm doing. I imagine it wouldn't cut through a loud wall of guitars or anything (although I'll try), but it's fun, and versatile enough. And I was not expecting the tiny bell to sound so good. I mean look at it; it looks atrophied!

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
16" Meinl Classic Dark Custom . I bought it for a top hihat - real nice meaty bite .

Toast Tee

Reaction score
Picked up first a set of 15 modern essentials hats from a drum forum member then a set of like new 602 15” sound edge hats from another forum member. Then this week picked up from Reverb a 602 22” thin to match my 16,18 & 20 I’m in cymbal heaven. The 15 SE hats are by far my most favorite hats of all time and I know they’re not for every situation but man they are sweet and lightning fast responsive. The 15” is the ticket on sound edge 602’s yet Paiste only makes the 14’s which are to small for such a thin delicate set of cymbals.
What do you like better, the 2002 15's, or 602's for an all purpose hat?
Besides my 15's, I really like the 14 heavy 2002's. The tops have to be med, or even med thin, but for all purpose hats, the 14 Heavy 2002, or the Heavy Sig 14's, have their places for sure.
I've yet to even see the 602's, but I get the expression they're light, and maybe better for some studio situations.
The 15 2002's are sick though!
Eh, don't think ya can go wrong with any of em.
I saw a late 60's vid of Joe Morello using thoes 602 SE, and sounded incredible!
Bonzo def studied Joe, and I believe he used the SE 602's from time to time.
Congrats

Bonzo442

Reaction score
For all purpose hats definitely the 2002’s you hit the nail on the head when you said for studio work the 602’s are the ticket although the 2002’s can hold their own as well. The 602’s in a live situation are ok I guess miked up but unless it’s a small low volume gig I would go 2002. All around all purpose definitely 2002 but take a listen to the YouTube vids of those 602 15 SE they just sound amazing imo. I do like the 2002 14 med a little better than the heavy and I know they’re very close in weight. I guess I lean towards the lighter hats as the sound & responsiveness I look for but sometimes you need the volume and those 2002 15 SE are my number 1 choice then. Love Joe myself and agree Bonzo must’ve been influenced by him you can just hear the similarities both swing and dance in the skins!

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just got a deliciously light 22" K dark medium ride (2009). At 2694 g it is the lightest I have ever head of and has a perfect stick, wash and bell. Best all purpose ride I have ever Owned. Not quite as dark and complex as my K Con Medium (2560 g) but will cut better for the rockier stuff I am playing these days so should see plenty of play.

Anyone else using one of these as their main ride?
I have one as well. Great cymbal. I use some different modern Ks, but this is one of them. I basically go between light, medium, and heavy models of standard K series.

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
I picked up a ufip on the amazon deal. 22” Class Medium Ride. Nothing medium about this beast though. It’s a solid 3200g. Low pitched ping and the bell is insanely loud. It almost makes me want to play metal again...almost. Great sound from messing around with it on the practice kit. The real test comes next week at rehearsal.

Attachments

stuart s

Reaction score
Been a while, and needed some back up 2002 15 SE hats.
love these cymbals View attachment 396098
That was my last cymbal purchase, it finally met the rest of its immediate family- the 24, 18 and 20 inch Giant Beat Multis

I've heard and played lots of High Hats, and the 15" 2002 Sound Edge to me are the finest of them all.
se bottom.png
se top.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts