Your latest cymbal purchase.....

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That was my last cymbal purchase, it finally met the rest of its immediate family- the 24, 18 and 20 inch Giant Beat Multis

I've heard and played lots of High Hats, and the 15" 2002 Sound Edge to me are the finest of them all.View attachment 397751View attachment 397752
Love the 15's! There's nothing I don't like about em. I think I stated it in an earlier reply. Your L foot has to be happening when on the ride. That chic is one hell of a time keeper.
Congrats on getting the cymbals you wanted!

Kcmcc

Reaction score
I,like most, miss my cymbalholics.com fix. so here is a small attempt to connect to some of the stuff we had over there. so tell me what you got most recently cymbal wise....

I slipped up on a nice jewel recently. I bought a 60's avedis 24". seller mentioned that it was around 3400 grams. a little heavier than my dream cymbal but still thought I would give a try. I had just bought a new digital scale and had it ready for the arrival of the 24. when it arrived, I could tell right away it was thinner than that because ive had one 2800 and 3200. I was pleasantly pleased when it weighed in at 2976 grams. its a jewel. has a ton of different sounds as a ride cymbal. it crashes well and the bell is full and musical. I so wish that it had rivets though. I have really come to enjoy them on cymbals over they years...

has some beautiful dark green patina right at the bottom. I picture some old jazz cat clasping it there while laying down some nice patterns...

so....what did ya get lately???

mike
So it's pretty funny to see that this thread was started during a cymbalholic shutdown . . . I MAY have just made the last ever purchase from the 'Holics classified and I'm posting about it here.
22" Block Stamp A. Pictures to come when it arrives

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
22" Soultone Vintage Flat Ride...

View attachment 398849
View attachment 398851

Here's the Soultone setup with the 22" Dream Bliss Crash/Ride and the 15" Istanbul Agop Traditional Medium hats.
Kit is the Sonor Force Custom Bebop kit I got a few months ago.
Haha we have a very similar set up. I use a 20” Soultone vintage flat ride with a 22” Zildjian k light ride and 15” Istanbul xist hats.

I actually just bought the Xist hihats which is what brought me over here. So far I’m really liking them. I’m using the bottom and top reversed right now

Kcmcc

Reaction score
The aforementioned 22" Block Stamp 50's Avedis. Listed by seller at 2800g, plays, feels MUCH lighter in general, but the ride sound had enough cut/highs that I don't particularly doubt the weight. Great low crash sound, opens up easily to a mildly applied shank as well.
I think I'm gonna sell my small stamp 20" now which will leave me with two unriveted cymbals as my setup for the first time in forever (this one and a 20" block stamp).
IMG_20190609_222955.jpg

IMG_20190609_222959.jpg

IMG_20190609_223016.jpg

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Meinl.

22" Symmetry ride, 18" Byzance crash, 15" Byzance hats.

I'll find a flat in a few months.

I rather like them.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just picked up a Zildjian A391 cymbal pack (14" New Beats, 16" and 18" medium thin crashes, 21" Sweet Ride). I was leery about buying a box set and was determined to purchase each cymbal one by one. However, my son was just recruited to play drum set in our community theater's summer musical, and with rehearsals starting now, I needed to get something fast. Much to my delight, the set is well matched and sounds great. I'm still a bit on the fence about the 21" Sweet Ride. It's crashable and the bell is fantastic, but I'd prefer a little more "ping." I knew this would likely be the case based on reviews from others, so I'm not too disappointed. Getting a complete set of A's for just under $600 seemed like a no-brainer.

Christian C.

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I scooped up a few Istanbul Mehmet crashes from Cymbal House, who is apparently no longer a dealer. Got them at a pretty fair discount. I love them, they're so musical. I think I'm selling my Zildjians (except for my new beats).

I now have a few more Istanbuls on the way. Stay tuned!

17" Origin Crash (1275 grams)
Screenshot_20190623-101805_Chrome.jpg

19" Origin Crash (1605 grams)
Screenshot_20190623-101749_Chrome.jpg

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The aforementioned 22" Block Stamp 50's Avedis. Listed by seller at 2800g, plays, feels MUCH lighter in general, but the ride sound had enough cut/highs that I don't particularly doubt the weight. Great low crash sound, opens up easily to a mildly applied shank as well.
I think I'm gonna sell my small stamp 20" now which will leave me with two unriveted cymbals as my setup for the first time in forever (this one and a 20" block stamp).
View attachment 399764
View attachment 399765
View attachment 399766
Wow that looks a lot like one I just sold!

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
21 inch Zildjian Trans stamp Type 3. 2395 gm. Drilled for 6 rivets but probably not factory. Nice bright ping and it has a beautiful deep crash. It's basically a medium thin 21". Along with the ride came an 18" paper thin Trans stamp crash/ride at 1160 gms. That one is surprisingly dark and dry, and trashy. I recently also picked up a 20" trans stamp T3 ride at 2270 gms. That's a wonderful crash/ride jazzer that just swings and bops. Where have these been all my life? Better late than never.

IMG_20190624_225007.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Kcmcc

Reaction score
welp, got this on the scale, as I said below I thought it was lighter than the 2800g the seller had, and my scale says 2558. It went out on its first gig recently (check the right side cymbal in the "video files" section clips I posted recently) and performed magnificently, it has a wonderful crash, and a terrific bell, but I am trying to remember to stay off those, on account of the very small bell cracks (reported by the seller, who inspite of our discrepancy in weighing has a TERRIFIC reputation, to be stable for ages, but still of concern to a hamfisted MFer like myself). Really happy with this - and am selling my 20" Small Stamp that has occupied pride of main-ride place since ~2011!

View attachment 399764
View attachment 399765
View attachment 399766

Last edited:

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Just picked up my special order 15” Paiste 2002 Heavy top hi-hat to pair with my ‘83 Heavy bottom. Paiste discontinued the 15” Heavy and I was having trouble finding a top, especially in decent condition. I’ve been using my 15” SEs with my Bad Co tribute, which Simon did use some, but he also used the Heavy and I think they sound more like him. They sound fantastic!

5DF3C0D0-ADDF-4151-8A19-3375B7413B57.jpeg
1ACB1CAB-ED38-4016-A4EA-017E4370A2E9.jpeg

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As an update to my post from June 18th, I had some money left over from the sale of my electronic drum kit so I decided to add a 17" Zildjian A Medium Thin crash to the A391 pack I bought a few weeks ago. I think my cymbal set-up is now complete.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
13 inch Zildjian 1st/2nd stamp paper thin hi hat pair 450/475 gm. Wasn't looking for these but when they showed up I couldn't say no. I've owned several pairs of medium to heavy band cymbals from this era but nothing light. A first stamp 10" splash (310 gm) was part of the group too.

Though they are different stamps the patina and overall look of both is pretty uniform, suggesting they could be an original pair. The lighter one has a 1/4" wave in it that deadens it a bit. So that's now the bottom hat. And because they're so light, those waves disappear with about 2-3 lbs of force applied. So they do nicely as light, washy, dark vintage hats in a low volume situation. These would be similar to a 520/550 pair of 14's.

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest posts