Your latest cymbal purchase.....

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
View attachment 405509
Picked this up used on Reverb to go with a set of 2002 Big Beats.
Skelt...I'm a huge Paiste fan, collector, and don't think any other cymbal co makes anything comparable.
I ran into a deal I couldn't pass up today, and one of them is a 17 Mellow. I haven't played it on a kit yet, but I'm not sure I liked what I heard? I won't know until I play it, but it is definitely Mellow.
I also got a 20 inch Sig China Thin. It sounds great, makes a statement, and has a great tone. Again, I'll have to throw it up there.
Finally a 16 inch Sig full. No comment necessary.
What do you think of the Mellow so far?
I use 2 crashes, 2 splashes, and a China at home. I may go with 3 crashes the next few weeks, and check it the mellowness
20190807_221928.jpg
20190807_221932.jpg
20190807_221943.jpg

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In my continuing effort to build a Paiste collection I bought a used 22 Masters Thin, which is fantastic and ridiculously light at 2113g. Who thought they’d make a cymbal like this ?

It also looks like it discontinued.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
In my continuing effort to build a Paiste collection I bought a used 22 Masters Thin, which is fantastic and ridiculously light at 2113g. Who thought they’d make a cymbal like this ?

It also looks like it discontinued.
Nice. It still appears on the Paiste web site as of now in 20, 22 and 24:

so I don't think we need to remove it from the wiki just yet.

For context, another discontinued model in this diameter and weight range (and I suspect sonic profile) would be the Traditionals Extra Light Ride. A relatively uncommon model so we don't have much info in the wiki yet.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice. It still appears on the Paiste web site as of now in 20, 22 and 24:

so I don't think we need to remove it from the wiki just yet.

For context, another discontinued model in this diameter and weight range (and I suspect sonic profile) would be the Traditionals Extra Light Ride. A relatively uncommon model so we don't have much info in the wiki yet.

Man, I'm sorry. I looked yesterday and didn't see it. Weird. Just in a rush I suppose. They really are fantastic. Limited appeal for the typical Paiste user I'm sure.

Oh wait... I know what happened.. I didn't drag the model strip on the bottom.. Duh..

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
20" paiste traditional light ride.
Obviously used as a crash by rock drummer. All dented up around edges...i love it...

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I,like most, miss my cymbalholics.com fix. so here is a small attempt to connect to some of the stuff we had over there. so tell me what you got most recently cymbal wise....

I slipped up on a nice jewel recently. I bought a 60's avedis 24". seller mentioned that it was around 3400 grams. a little heavier than my dream cymbal but still thought I would give a try. I had just bought a new digital scale and had it ready for the arrival of the 24. when it arrived, I could tell right away it was thinner than that because ive had one 2800 and 3200. I was pleasantly pleased when it weighed in at 2976 grams. its a jewel. has a ton of different sounds as a ride cymbal. it crashes well and the bell is full and musical. I so wish that it had rivets though. I have really come to enjoy them on cymbals over they years...

has some beautiful dark green patina right at the bottom. I picture some old jazz cat clasping it there while laying down some nice patterns...

so....what did ya get lately???

mike

I love this.
6 year old post

So cool

skelt101

Reaction score
Skelt...I'm a huge Paiste fan, collector, and don't think any other cymbal co makes anything comparable.
I ran into a deal I couldn't pass up today, and one of them is a 17 Mellow. I haven't played it on a kit yet, but I'm not sure I liked what I heard? I won't know until I play it, but it is definitely Mellow.
I also got a 20 inch Sig China Thin. It sounds great, makes a statement, and has a great tone. Again, I'll have to throw it up there.
Finally a 16 inch Sig full. No comment necessary.
What do you think of the Mellow so far?
I use 2 crashes, 2 splashes, and a China at home. I may go with 3 crashes the next few weeks, and check it the mellownessView attachment 405601View attachment 405600View attachment 405599
Toast Tee,
I haven’t had the Mellow Crash on the stand for long, but impressions are good so far! As mentioned previously, it was purchased to incorporate into a set of 2002 Big Beats. Compared to a Dark Energy crash in the same size, I find the Mellow to actually be a little darker, with a cleaner midrange and more of that Paiste shimmer in the wash- beautiful! My only concern was whether it would hold-up volume wise with the 2002s. However, I’m not really a “basher”, so everything seems just fine. Hope you’re enjoying your Mellow Crash as well!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Toast Tee,
I haven’t had the Mellow Crash on the stand for long, but impressions are good so far! As mentioned previously, it was purchased to incorporate into a set of 2002 Big Beats. Compared to a Dark Energy crash in the same size, I find the Mellow to actually be a little darker, with a cleaner midrange and more of that Paiste shimmer in the wash- beautiful! My only concern was whether it would hold-up volume wise with the 2002s. However, I’m not really a “basher”, so everything seems just fine. Hope you’re enjoying your Mellow Crash as well!
Yeah, I'm digging it far more than I thought I would. I have a 19 DE crash, and by itself doesn't mix well with 2002's, and Full Sigs. The DE mix bette with the GB's to my ear.
My Mellow is 17, and isn't very mellow at all. It has about the same attack as an 18 2002, but than gets out of the way pretty fast. I've replaced some 18 pre serial 602's for the Mellow. I think the 602 is a better all around cymbal, but not for the application I wanted. I wanted something that would attack hard, and quickly fade. I got kind of lucky, as the Mellow does it.
I wasn't going out of my way to buy em, they kinda found me.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love Flat Rides, so added two to my arsenal...

A 22" Byzance Jazz Tradition Flat @ 2400g (pictured)
A 20" Byzance Club Ride with 3 factory sizzles @ 1876g

IMO, the Byzance Series is a premier selection in the Meinl catalog. Some good jazz selections.

Both pre-owned off Reverb

Attachments

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These came with the Artstar I got.
There's also a 22 inch ride.
A's 16 thin, med, Rock
18 thin
and a 22 ride
and some New Beats.
I'll part w/them cheap
Vape didn't come w/everything

Attachments

sammy123

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post so here is what I have and what I picked up in the past couple weeks.

I've always played Paiste cymbals and have a collection of Sound Formulas (14" full FrAnKeN, 14" round badge medium/heavy hats), Vintage black label 2002s (18" ride, 20" flat, 20" ride, 22" ride), Paiste Dimensions (18" light ride with 2 rivets, 14" Thin/Heavy hats), Paiste 3000 (20" flat)

I just picked up a set of brand new Paiste Black Big Beats (15, 18, 19, 20, 22) for what I think was a decent deal. So far I am really liking them. The 22" is a fantastic crash/ride and so is the 20". In my opinion the 18" and 19" work better as crashes, but I still could use either as a LSR (but I have other options....see above). I'm still deciding if I like the hats. They are so different from my other pairs. If I can find a heavier bottom for cheap I might try that out. I also grabbed a round badge Sound Formula 18" Full Crash. This is a really nice cymbal. I always loved the 14" Full so when I saw this pop up I had to grab it.

I think since I took this photo I moved the 20 to the left and the 19 to the right of the 22. I'm still playing around with the setup. I'm used to playing with less toms and just two rides.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

Last edited:

skelt101

Reaction score
I'm still deciding if I like the hats. They are so different from my other pairs. If I can find a heavier bottom for cheap I might try that out.
I have my 15" top paired with one of the new 900 Heavy bottoms. Sounds great! I hear that the 2002 Sound Edge bottom works as well. :thumbleft:

sammy123

Reaction score
I have my 15" top paired with one of the new 900 Heavy bottoms. Sounds great! I hear that the 2002 Sound Edge bottom works as well. :thumbleft:
Thanks for the input. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for 15" bottoms, including sound edges.