Your latest cymbal purchase.....

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
Randomly had a guy I spoke with about a snare drum on Craigslist text me today asking if I was interested in a 20” Paiste 2002 black label crash for $75

Hell yeah I was interested. I am so excited to play this with my band later this week. It has a little bit of a keyhole and a tiny crack at the bell but considering how good this thing sounds and the price, I’m not complaining.

I played it a little at home and it has good enough stick definition to be a washy ride but with an enormous crash. I’m a little worried about how it will blend with my other cymbals though. In the past Paiste hasn’t seemed to fit well with my other cymbals. Those were both rides though. Hopefully a crash will be a different story.

Attachments

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a DE 16, and ME Essential 16. Both in excellent condition at $275 for both. I may turn em into some nice hats (if they go?)

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My bad. I'm so used to saying it in 1 phrase
I should have said "oh no, let me go find him, and tell him no deal" ;)

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Istanbul Mehmet Traditional 13" hi-hats. Bought them new last week on Amazon for the blowout price of $137 for the pair. I'm gonna put them on the right as Aux hi hats. I also ordered a Gibraltar Aux hi hat setup. I use 15" Mehmet xcast hi hats as primary which are dark and low pitched. The 13" Mehmet traditionals should be perfect as aux hi hats because they are fully lathed, higher pitch & brighter. They should complement nicely! Everything should arrive this week (shipments are delayed because of the hurricane)
Mehmet_traditional.png

Gibraltar.png

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Istanbul Mehmet Traditional 13" hi-hats. Bought them new last week on Amazon for the blowout price of $137 for the pair. I'm gonna put them on the right as Aux hi hats. I also ordered a Gibraltar Aux hi hat setup. I use 15" Mehmet xcast hi hats as primary which are dark and low pitched. The 13" Mehmet traditionals should be perfect as aux hi hats because they are fully lathed, higher pitch & brighter. They should complement nicely! Everything should arrive this week (shipments are delayed because of the hurricane)
View attachment 409224
View attachment 409225
Wow, that's some deal.

pwc1141

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not a purchase per se as it was gifted by a drummer buddy ....... but the last cymbal I acquired is a 19 " Bosphorus Turk flat ride. Buttery goodness for acoustic jazz trios gigs.

sammy123

Reaction score
I just received this bad boy today. It's beautiful and sounds wonderful. My first Paiste B20 cymbal.

IMG_20190906_190655.jpg

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice.
I won't spend my $ on anything but Paiste. B8-B20, all sound amazing.
Congrats

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah they do! I've never had a Paiste I've disliked.
I had the new 900's and ended up not liking them. They lacked volume and just didn't sound right. They were the Alpha replacements but no way they sound anything like Alpha's. I ended up replacing them all with Mehmet's & UFIP's. Luckily I had bought them as a cymbal pack and actually got back my investment by selling them individually. I'm sure at some point I will be back to Paiste but something like 2002's. I don't like any of the other big 3!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never played one, so I couldn't give a fair assessment. They are beginner cymbals (I thought) a step above the PST line, wich btw, the 20 inch ride, makes a great crash

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've never played one, so I couldn't give a fair assessment. They are beginner cymbals (I thought) a step above the PST line, wich btw, the 20 inch ride, makes a great crash
I don't think they are considered beginner cymbals. The 900's are the Colorsounds without the Color, all they do is add a darkening agent to the cymbal and they are partially hand hammered when they finish the cymbal. And the Colorsounds are definitely not beginner cymbals. Actually the Colorsounds are classified one notch below the standard 900's. Also the 900's & the Colorsounds use the same 2002 Bronze as the 2002 series. I never thought of them as beginner. If anything, they would be classified as semi-pro I would think.

stuart s

Reaction score
I find the 900's very different from the Alpahs, amd although they are a "higher line" than the 7, the 7's sound better to me.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I find the 900's very different from the Alpahs, amd although they are a "higher line" than the 7, the 7's sound better to me.
I agree with that. The Alpha's were great! I don't know what happened with the 900's but Paiste should know this. I've heard the same complaints. If anything they should just bring back the Alpha's and name them 900's. The 7's do really sound great for budget cymbals.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well so much for the Mehmet traditional 13" hi hats that I ordered. The box arrived today with the wrong hats. Amazon screwed up and packed 13" Mehmet Origin Dark hats in a 13" traditional hats bag. Ugh! And you can tell they have been used to top it off. The bag was taped with packing tape. I tried these dark ones out of curiosity and they are, well... Dark! Don't like them at all, they are going back. I checked and they had 1 left in stock. I processed the return and as soon as I did it, it now shows out of stock. So I guess they reserve it for me to ship. Hopefully the replacement is what I actually ordered!

Last edited:

shnootre

Reaction score
9B78A087-651C-4D17-983E-A473DB275DF6.jpeg

After I thoroughly convinced myself I didn’t need these, I snagged them on ebay for under 3 bills incl shipping. They are lovely.

Interestingly (b/c of iRod’s post above) the nudge their way to the top of my list over my Mehmet dark origin 15s, which I still do love.

sammy123

Reaction score
Just picked up a Signature 14" sound edge bottom and a Masters 22" Thin. Both are great. I paired the hat bottom with a Sound Formula medium Top and I like the sound a lot. I might try some other combinations too, like the Dimensions Thin top or a Sound Formula Full crash, which is also pretty thin and light. HOWEVER, I got a good deal on some newer 602 14" sound edge hats so I am not sure I'll use the Signature much once those arrive.

The Masters 22" Thin is awesome. Very low pitch and mellow. It is a wicked dark crash too. Perfect as a second jazz ride.

Latest posts