Your latest cymbal purchase.....

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Ang

Reaction score
I just picked up a 22” Black Label Paiste 2002 ride, it has six rivet holes, none installed but sounds great, I’ll try a few rivets in it though.

tarocco

Reaction score
Picked up a very light (2070g) Bosphorus Master Flat ride. This one, although the recording doesn't do it justice:

Something about thin flat rides that is really special, tons of really sweet wash, nice woody stick sound and it never gets out of control. Love it!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
...and speaking of flat rides, I can finally say.....I got one.....

Zildjian_K_20LightFlatRide1.JPG

…20" and 1616g., I set it up with the 22" Dream Bliss Crash-Ride on the Sonor kit....

Zildjian_K_20LightFlatRide2.JPG

...Sounds good! I'm really stoked I was finally able to wrangle one. Been a long, patient search. =)

Elvis

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Picked up a very light (2070g) Bosphorus Master Flat ride. This one, although the recording doesn't do it justice:

Something about thin flat rides that is really special, tons of really sweet wash, nice woody stick sound and it never gets out of control. Love it!
Whoa! I think that is the "darkest" sounding cymbal that I've ever heard. That thing simply defines the term "smokey." Jazz guys should love that one in very quiet circumstances.

GeeDeeEmm

tarocco

Reaction score
Whoa! I think that is the "darkest" sounding cymbal that I've ever heard. That thing simply defines the term "smokey." Jazz guys should love that one in very quiet circumstances.

GeeDeeEmm
Yep, it's really dark, although it doesn't sound as dry as the recording in person. It crashes with a very gong-like tone, hit just right it reminds me of the tam tam at the start of A Love Supreme. I bought with the intention of playing quieter jazz, works great.

Drumceet

Reaction score
Just picked up a used pair of Sabian AAX Stage Hats 14” that are in excellent condition. In the 90’s I used to own the 14” studio hats and always regretted selling them. Although I went for the stage version this time around, it’s the sound I’ve had in my head since the 90’s so I’m happy to have them.

I still love my 15” Dream Bliss hats, and they offer up a complete different sound. At rehearsal and live I’ll rotate them between sets.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Congrats on your latest grab, Drumceet...I wonder how the Sabian and Dream hat cymbals would work, mixed together?......

Drumceet

Reaction score
Congrats on your latest grab, Drumceet...I wonder how the Sabian and Dream hat cymbals would work, mixed together?......
Thanks! Mixed in terms of top of one bottom of other? They are not the same size, but I do want to set them both up on the kit with an extended x hat arm. I'd love to have the 15" bliss hats set up closed on my right, and use the AAX as the main hat that I can open and close. I've been playing them like crazy since I got them and they are sublime.

Having both sets allows me to enjoy the very different sounds that each give out.

Actually my whole cymbal set up is mixed, from Sabian, Paiste, Dream and Zildjian and everything sounds wonderful together.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Although, I bet setting both up (separately) within the kit would be a pretty cool experience too, Yes, I meant one on top, the other on the bottom....different sizes? Never seemed to matter to Max Roach...

1574798637865.png

...just curious. Its ok if you prefer to go another route. =)

Elvis

Drumceet

Reaction score
Although, I bet setting both up (separately) within the kit would be a pretty cool experience too, Yes, I meant one on top, the other on the bottom....different sizes? Never seemed to matter to Max Roach...

View attachment 417646

...just curious. Its ok if you prefer to go another route. =)

Elvis
Wow didn't even think of this! I'll try tonight and let you know.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Meinl 22” Jazz China ride w/ rivets - finally found one in great condition at a nice price. Paiste Masters Swish and this one will compete for time on the stand.

Old Dog

Reaction score
I've been obsessed with hats lately. Picked up a very nicely priced, and still in great shape set of Paiste Dark Energy 14s.

And, just picked up a set of 13" Zildjian Ks. There is a slight bit of keyholing on the top. But I got a great deal on them. I'm enjoying the dry and the dark :cool:

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
I’ve been so enamored with my 20” K Zildjian Custom Dark Ride of late, I bought an 18” Custom Dark Crash.

Bit of a departure for me as all my cymbals played in the last three years have been 20” rides and crash-rides. (I actually bought it last summer used/near new because I couldn’t resist the price, but never played it till recently.) Really love this series and the conviviality of how they sit within songs.

Each of my bands has a lead singer as second rhythm guitarist on acoustic, and the KCDs seem to work well with that, sitting in a slightly lower register. Very much a marmalade sound to this crash, sweet with just enough bite.

Here it is in situ at last week’s gig:

24043221-0A66-4C8A-A7E7-A569D9392D09.jpeg