Your latest cymbal purchase.....

TPC

Reaction score
Played the 22" Nolan a bit last night and holy cow, what a cymbal.

A couple years back I got a 20" thin ride from Matt and it's great - partially lathed, dry, quiet. I wanted a 22" to go with it.

So my request to Matt was a quiet, dryish ride, but with some mass (I don't like very light rides because of the way they feel under the stick). Man, did he deliver on this one. It seems he achieved the dryness by means of the partial lathing. But how was he going to tame the volume ceiling of a 2600 g ride? Tension, it appears. This thing is quite loose and a lot of the energy is used up in wobble, leaving just the solid stick and beautiful, quiet wash. This thing is a masterpiece. Thank you, Mr. Nolan!!!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Played the 22" Nolan a bit last night and holy cow, what a cymbal.

A couple years back I got a 20" thin ride from Matt and it's great - partially lathed, dry, quiet. I wanted a 22" to go with it.

So my request to Matt was a quiet, dryish ride, but with some mass (I don't like very light rides because of the way they feel under the stick). Man, did he deliver on this one. It seems he achieved the dryness by means of the partial lathing. But how was he going to tame the volume ceiling of a 2600 g ride? Tension, it appears. This thing is quite loose and a lot of the energy is used up in wobble, leaving just the solid stick and beautiful, quiet wash. This thing is a masterpiece. Thank you, Mr. Nolan!!!
Damn. That's a great description of a cymbal, man. You have to post a video or sound file. Please!

So, is the underside not lathed or something?
I would love to own a cymbal like you describe.

Reactions: TPC

sammy123

Reaction score
I recently picked up a set of Byrne cymbals. They are fantastic. I got a 22" Vintage Series ride, 20” Quarter Turk ride, and a set of 15" Vintage Series hats. The hats are a bit unique as they are a 1192/1501 combo. I have not seen that combination of weights. They sound great.

Here is a photo of them mixed with my Paiste Masters.
MVIMG_20200117_195535.jpg

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Took a flyer on an "unidentified" 11 inch, 1+ lb cymbal for $35. I knew it was an "Ajaha" based on the "signature" under the bell. Fairly hefty too at 478 gm. Was afraid it could be pretty clangy for a crash/splash. But it hand it actually crashes ok. Even better is that this is a perfect "heavy" bottom hi hat cymbal to mate up with my 330 gm Zildjian 2nd stamp. Mini-new beat weighted pairing with plenty of "chup."

Attachments

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Took a flyer on an "unidentified" 11 inch, 1+ lb cymbal for $35. I knew it was an "Ajaha" based on the "signature" under the bell. Fairly hefty too at 478 gm. Was afraid it could be pretty clangy for a crash/splash. But it hand it actually crashes ok. What was even better is that this is a perfect "heavy" bottom hi hat cymbal to mate up with my 330 gm Zildjian 2nd stamp. Mini-new beat weighted pairing with plenty of "chup." I've made up matched light pairs before. And they don't have the foot chup volume they need. This pairing does. Sloshy, washy, and with some projection.
Tiny hats? What application are they for?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tiny hats? What application are they for?
"Tiny" music like trio's, light ensembles, piano-string guitar - harp, mic'd recordings. Old big bands used 12's and 13's at times. I even see original drum kits from the 20's and 30's with tiny hats in this kits. Good for light playing in the house or studio with vintage jazz. I recently had a pair of 10" Zildjian 30's hats at around 225 gm each....now those were really light. And they were used as hats by someone for decades based on the wear patterns. Too bad they cracked them up.

redbeard

Reaction score
Just grabbed the Danny Carey (Tool) Paiste sig 22" dry heavy ride. Super pingy and great bell. Definitely not a crashable ride without damaging your sticks and possibly your arm.
Cymbal.jpg

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
Just grabbed the Danny Carey (Tool) Paiste sig 22" dry heavy ride. Super pingy and great bell. Definitely not a crashable ride without damaging your sticks and possibly your arm. View attachment 425396
Zoinks! Fascinating. Never before have I seen a ride which, while I'd never probably own, I'm intrigued with. What's that sound like and how much does it weigh?

redbeard

Reaction score
Zoinks! Fascinating. Never before have I seen a ride which, while I'd never probably own, I'm intrigued with. What's that sound like and how much does it weigh?
She's a healthy 3710 grams per a quick google search as I don't have a scale at home. IMO a nice bright and crisp ping with some darker overtones. Very little wash build up and really not crashable. Bell is very intense ping and body is great for articulate, individual notes. For me the perfect ride as I'm still stuck in the glorious hair metal days of the mid 80's to early 90's.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
She's a healthy 3710 grams per a quick google search as I don't have a scale at home. IMO a nice bright and crisp ping with some darker overtones. Very little wash build up and really not crashable. Bell is very intense ping and body is great for articulate, individual notes. For me the perfect ride as I'm still stuck in the glorious hair metal days of the mid 80's to early 90's.
Rock on. That’s 1000 grams heavier than my heaviest ride! As my grandmother used to say: For every pot there is a lid.

Latest posts