Your latest cymbal purchase.....

chappy

Reaction score
Bought an 18" A Zildjian Uptown ride here on the forum from user Neal Pert. It is a fun little cymbal!

DrummerAt125

Reaction score
Discovered Amazon (themselves, not a 3rd party seller) sell cymbals, and at decent prices.
I don't trust Amazon to deliver anything well.
They had the Zildjian K 24" Light Ride for 340 (instead of the usual 499).
Thought I'd take a punt as at least if it didn't make it or something was wrong they're pretty good at returns.
Unsurprisingly, it arrived unpackaged (loose) and minus a chip.
A replacement is now en-route. Let's see if they manage it better this time.

It's been a rollercoaster.

DrummerAt125

Reaction score
In better news, I recently also picked up 15" A New Beats Hats which I really couldn't enjoy (way too dead sounding), which I have now replaced with 15" A Custom Mastersound Hats. A much nicer sound, a lot crisper.

I also spent a while in a local store trying various rides, and got it down to 3. A 21" Sweet, K 21" Sweet, and A 23" Sweet. The 23 won, and is now at home. Soon to be joined by a 22" A Custom Ride from eBay, and whenever the 24" K Light Ride I ordered from Amazon arrives that'll join the fold too.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In better news, I recently also picked up 15" A New Beats Hats which I really couldn't enjoy (way too dead sounding), which I have now replaced with 15" A Custom Mastersound Hats. A much nicer sound, a lot crisper.

I also spent a while in a local store trying various rides, and got it down to 3. A 21" Sweet, K 21" Sweet, and A 23" Sweet. The 23 won, and is now at home. Soon to be joined by a 22" A Custom Ride from eBay, and whenever the 24" K Light Ride I ordered from Amazon arrives that'll join the fold too.
You planning to use these cymbals together? In what combinations?

DrummerAt125

Reaction score
You planning to use these cymbals together? In what combinations?
My normal setup is (now):
A Custom Mastersound 15”
A Thin Crash 19”
A Medium Thin Crash 20”
A Sweet Ride 23”
AAX OZone 20”

with an A Custom 22” Ride as an option for when I need something a bit pingier, and the K 24” Light Ride for when I want something more complex/washy.

I also play sometimes in a stripped back setup which will be:
A Custom Mastersound 15”
A Sweet Ride 23”
K Light Ride 24”

I’m on the lookout for a decent priced 20” EFX to replace the OZone.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My normal setup is (now):
A Custom Mastersound 15”
A Thin Crash 19”
A Medium Thin Crash 20”
A Sweet Ride 23”
AAX OZone 20”

with an A Custom 22” Ride as an option for when I need something a bit pingier, and the K 24” Light Ride for when I want something more complex/washy.

I also play sometimes in a stripped back setup which will be:
A Custom Mastersound 15”
A Sweet Ride 23”
K Light Ride 24”

I’m on the lookout for a decent priced 20” EFX to replace the OZone.
Sounds great. What kind of music are you playing?

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Considering the current trend toward "warmer" sounding cymbals with greater wash and less-pronounced ping, I'm curious as to whether Zildjian has seen a downturn in sales of the A Custom lines? I'm betting yes.

GeeDeeEmm

Phantomlimb777

Reaction score
Picked up these three in the span of a week. If I needed a dedicated cymbal set for jazz, this would be it. Unfortunately I need a left side cymbal that’s a little more versatile.

Attachments

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Picked up a varied group of cymbals this past week:

14" trans stamp hats - 659/712- crusty, very dark, dirty - about as patina'd as you can get - smokey, dark, and trashy.
15" first stamp paper thin - floppy wobbler - 732 gm. The largest (light) 1st stamp I've owned.
20" small stamp 50's ride/crash - 1839 gm - crashes like a trans stamp - but rides a little darker. Very sweet weighting.
20" Zildjian 60's very heavy ride 2989 gm. Very clear and clean ping type ride.

Attachments

Last edited:

curly

Reaction score
20 UFIP natural crash. UFIPs really are nice cymbals that sometimes can be found for cheap, like this one. I had one similar years ago that I sold. Great crash with shorter sustain, a nice light ride, and because of the rotocasting and awesome bell. I'll probably add a few rivets.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Picked up a varied group of cymbals this past week:

14" trans stamp hats - 659/712- crusty, very dark, dirty - about as patina'd as you can get - smoky, dark, and trashy.
15" first stamp paper thin - floppy wobbler - 732 gm. The largest (light) 1st stamp I've owned.
20" small stamp 50's ride/crash - 1839 gm - crashes like a trans stamp - but rides a little darker. Very sweet weighting.
20" Zildjian 60's very heavy ride 2989 gm. Very clear and clean ping type ride.
Those are some really nice gems there. I know the hats are tasty! Great weight on the 20" small stamp too. I have a Second Stamp 15" that is 725 grams, so I can relate to yours....super special cymbal I think. Good find!

Mike

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those are some really nice gems there. I know the hats are tasty! Great weight on the 20" small stamp too. I have a Second Stamp 15" that is 725 grams, so I can relate to yours....super special cymbal I think. Good find!

Mike
Thanks Mike. You got me beat by 7 gms on the 15". That one makes a super fast crash....in essence it's a better "splash" at 15" than the 10's or 12's I have. 2 of those cymbals came with a cute 1958/59 Ludwig WMP kit. Happened to be in the right place when the seller was breaking out the cymbals.

DrummerAt125

Reaction score
Discovered Amazon (themselves, not a 3rd party seller) sell cymbals, and at decent prices.
I don't trust Amazon to deliver anything well.
They had the Zildjian K 24" Light Ride for 340 (instead of the usual 499).
Thought I'd take a punt as at least if it didn't make it or something was wrong they're pretty good at returns.
Unsurprisingly, it arrived unpackaged (loose) and minus a chip.
A replacement is now en-route. Let's see if they manage it better this time.

It's been a rollercoaster.
An update to this story. Yesterday the replacement from Amazon arrived. When I made the complaint after the arrival of the first, I made it clear that if they just send it out again in an empty cardboard box with no protection/packaging again, then to expect it to happen again. They promised they wouldn’t.

Well, they did. It arrived in an empty box again, but this time via UPS rather than Amazon’s usual subcontractor.

Somehow, it was free of damage though! I have no idea how it made it through unscathed. So, I anxiously sat down to play the cymbal. It has a couple of strange manufacturing marks on it which are quirky (from when it was lathed). I fully expected it to sound dreadful as Zildjian probably give the bad ones to mail order only companies like Amazon, but it’s perfect. It sounds absolutely perfect.

So although it took a month, I now have a brand new K 24” Light Ride for 340 posted instead of the usual 499!

DrummerAt125

Reaction score
And to join the ‘pack’, I’ve secured a 22” Zildjian Crash of Doom from a second hand seller for a good price! I was going to pick up an EFX but this shall fulfil that role instead.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
I recently picked up a late 50's Zildjian Small Stamp 20" with a weight of 2158 g . This one has a nice crash and wobbles well.
This matches well with my late 40's-early 50's Zildjian Trans Stamp Type 2 18" at 1370 g (the 18" has a 5.5" bell so a great crash/ride)

A big shout out to MLayton whom I acquired the 20" from.

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest posts