Your latest cymbal purchase.....

tripp2k

Reaction score
I'm picking up a 16" K dark medium thin crash tomorrow for $130. Wanted to go 20" but too rich for me.

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
14 & 20 I’ve wanted for a while. Some thread on here lead me to the 22. I have yet to fall for a 22” ride, but I keep trying.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm picking up a 16" K dark medium thin crash tomorrow for $130. Wanted to go 20" but too rich for me.
You'll love it. I bought one a couple of years ago brand new for $135 and it's become my favorite crash.

GeeDeeEmm

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the past month, I've bought two 50's Block Stamps -- one a 22" and the other day, a 20". I can't believe how great they sound. Interestingly, the 22" seller made a basement iPhone video of himself playing the pie using pliers and it was suspended like an inch above some work table!
The 20" I just got weighs 2089. I usually stay under 2 for a 20" but this one plays with lots of wobble and sounds amazing as a crash/ride.
I've a sound file link in AUDIO FILES

A Zildjian 20%22 Block Stamp 6-holes.jpg

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
In the past month, I've bought two 50's Block Stamps -- one a 22" and the other day, a 20". I can't believe how great they sound. Interestingly, the 22" seller made a basement iPhone video of himself playing the pie using pliers and it was suspended like an inch above some work table!
The 20" I just got weighs 2089. I usually stay under 2 for a 20" but this one plays with lots of wobble and sounds amazing as a crash/ride.
I've a sound file link in AUDIO FILES

View attachment 428763
Nice find! I too love Block Stamp cymbals. Sad to say, but at one time I had about 10 different 22s. I just love 'em. Narrowed it down and kept three at various weights. Had a jewel of a 20 and a forum member owns it now. I did acquire an 18 recently. Don't see too many of those. And I have a pair of 15" Block Stamp hi hats. Have only run across 3 sets of these maybe(?). What does your 22 weigh?

Mike

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 22” comes in at 2700. Again, a bit on the high side for me but deceptive, with plenty of wobble and that buttery, dark wash. not to mention, they’re a steal.

Please let me know when you want to get rid of those old raggedy high hats :toothy8:

Kirby

Last edited:

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
In regards to your 2700 gram....I have found that the Block Stamps in this range play really,really well. I've had some in the 2400 range and even have one in the 2200 range now. But my favorite is 2832 grams. It crashes well and has lots of wobble to it.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In regards to your 2700 gram....I have found that the Block Stamps in this range play really,really well. I've had some in the 2400 range and even have one in the 2200 range now. But my favorite is 2832 grams. It crashes well and has lots of wobble to it.
Is a lot of the weight in the bow or bell of those era A's?

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My latest ride, (still been on the quest) 21" Sabian hhx groove ride, got it for £109, as it has been professionally cut at 3 points due to fleabites on edges apparently, seller said it hasn't affected the sound, and I mean it when I say this is the one I've been looking for, yes, I'm loving it, has a nice warm wash of just the right amount, and great stick definition, very jazzy sounding feels great to play as well, it's very 'dynamic' and inspiring to play. Have been playing it at big band practices. It weighs somewhere around 2472 to 2500

Attachments

kookel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Right, that’s what I’m seeing.... and hearing now. It’s like they have more volume without sacrificing that beautiful wash.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have three coming this week. Trying to round out my ride cymbal and effects with the Istanbul setup.

-22" Mehmet 60th Anniversary Ride
-20" Mehmet Vezir Jazz Ride
-16" Mehmet Radiant X-Ray Crash

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Definitely. The beauty of the Trans stamps, large stamps, block stamps, and even many 50's small stamps is that they don't mind getting up in the medium weight range and still being nicely crashable and with a perfect ride. And lighter is often even sweeter. Yet by the 1960's, you can go pretty light on 20's (1800-1900 gm) and 22's (2500 and less) and there is often no magic at all in them....often very washy with many odd overtones. Yet, it seems every large/block stamp or trans stamp 18/20/21/22 I run into is sweet, regardless of weight.

Yesterday I received a 1970's Zildjian 22" at 2458 gms and expected some 70's sweetness. But, it's just ok - sounds like another 70's ride....no wobble at all. At least I can say I tried one of these. I had a Krut 22" at 2550 gms last year and it was all wobbly, washy, and trashy. Sort of neat. At least it was more unique than this Zildjian. Did Zildjian use too much "starch" in the 70's to stiffen up the cymbals?

Last edited:

markkarj

Reaction score
A local music store had a "midnight madness" sale. Picked up a pair of 14" A Custom mastersounds for $170 CAD taxes included ($127 USD)

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
Yes sir. You just nailed it....bell area I think.
What's interesting is that I just got a K Sweet crash, and noticed that a lot of it's weight seems to be in the bell while the bow is remarkably thin and flexible. Probably how they managed to give those cymbals a lot of washy responsiveness while keeping some punch and brightness. Cool design choice I thought.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What's interesting is that I just got a K Sweet crash, and noticed that a lot of it's weight seems to be in the bell while the bow is remarkably thin and flexible. Probably how they managed to give those cymbals a lot of washy responsiveness while keeping some punch and brightness. Cool design choice I thought.
Yeah man. I absolutely love my 19". Wonderfully beautiful cymbal.
I'm also currently considering the K Sweet Rides. I'm hesitant though. I played an A Sweet for years and loved it but it didn't have something that I needed.
I might sound crazy, but it lacked the ping of heavier cymbals but didn't have the low volume stick sound of light cymbals. There was just no life in the stick. Almost hollow.
Anybody own both and could explain the differences?

Latest posts