Your latest cymbal purchase.....

DustyElmer

Reaction score
Can't see the 12" real well, but probably not a toy. They were real popular in the late 20's-30's.

Mike
you're 100% right on this! I looked very closely at it, found the stamp, and it turns out it's a Leedy. Original price of $2.50. Very cool, thank you for pointing me in the right direction on that.

toddbishop

Reaction score
I just got a 20" Cymbal & Gong Holy Grail Jazz Ride @ 1893g replacing a 20" HG I sold to a friend in Germany. This one has a special patina that dries it out slightly. We're doing a meet in Seattle on March 16 if anyone wants to come hang and play a lot of Cymbal & Gong cymbals-- message me for details.

curly

Reaction score
Just in from Craig, this lovely 22. I get the really thin cymbal thing. Its a sound and it has its use, but over time I've become fonder of cymbals with more body. There's just more there and they tend to be more versatile.

Craig is a master and this one is wonderful.

Last edited:

DrummerAt125

Reaction score
An update to this story. Yesterday the replacement from Amazon arrived. When I made the complaint after the arrival of the first, I made it clear that if they just send it out again in an empty cardboard box with no protection/packaging again, then to expect it to happen again. They promised they wouldn’t.

Well, they did. It arrived in an empty box again, but this time via UPS rather than Amazon’s usual subcontractor.

Somehow, it was free of damage though! I have no idea how it made it through unscathed. So, I anxiously sat down to play the cymbal. It has a couple of strange manufacturing marks on it which are quirky (from when it was lathed). I fully expected it to sound dreadful as Zildjian probably give the bad ones to mail order only companies like Amazon, but it’s perfect. It sounds absolutely perfect.

So although it took a month, I now have a brand new K 24” Light Ride for 340 posted instead of the usual 499!
and here’s the end result of a few month’s worth of hard eBaying!

-15” Zildjian A Custom Mastersound Hats
-19” Zildjian A Thin Crash
-20” Zildjian A Medium Thin Crash
-22” Zildjian Oriental Crash of Doom
-22” Zildjian A Custom Ride
-23” Zildjian A Sweet Ride
-24” Zildjian K Light Ride

Attachments

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
So on Ebay someone was selling a Sabian China (17")...a look at the pics showed a hand hammered cymbal that had been inverted. I had had a Meinl that was inverted and I was able to set it right so I rolled the dice and got it.

1st...it was shipped with no padding...just between two slabs of cardboard.
2nd...in 5 minutes i was able to snap it back to shape.

It has no paint/logos...very flat profile...I think its an early HH.

Maybe the best $45 I've spent.
IMG_20200311_180531104.jpg

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
and here’s the end result of a few month’s worth of hard eBaying!

-15” Zildjian A Custom Mastersound Hats
-19” Zildjian A Thin Crash
-20” Zildjian A Medium Thin Crash
-22” Zildjian Oriental Crash of Doom
-22” Zildjian A Custom Ride
-23” Zildjian A Sweet Ride
-24” Zildjian K Light Ride
And? What do you think?

pendragon

Reaction score
Like many of us Audiophillic musicians, I have been on the "Quest" for my cymbal sound. Zildjian K's, Avedis, Sabian HHX, HH remastered...oh so many sets and singles. Rides, hats, you guys know the drill!! All of this time the sound and brand have been right in front of me...Paiste Giant Beats!!! WOW have I been blind until about a month ago. Now I own 15" Hats, 20 and 24" multi's and I am in HEAVEN!! Smooth with a crisp, quick response followed by that mellow sustain!!! Buttah, just plain buttah!

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Zildjian 19" trans stamp (T4) at 1699 gm. I feared when ordering it that it might be a tad heavy to crash smoothly. Fortunately, I was wrong. Roughly equivalent to an 18" at 1525 gm so a mid-range medium. Crashes with a light touch, and fairly fast too. Nice dry ping with very controlled wash. Just about perfect for that single ride/crash cymbal. This 19 gives a lot of body and depth in just an extra inch, yet decidedly different from the 20's and clearly beefier than the 18's. Fairly dark patina dries the tone even more. Some very tiny bell hole cracks....I can live with that since the edges are clean. Only one I'm missing now from 12" to 21" is the 17" which is not one I'm really after.

Attachments

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Zildjian 19" trans stamp (T4) at 1699 gm. I feared when ordering it that it might be a tad heavy to crash smoothly. Fortunately, I was wrong. Roughly equivalent to an 18" at 1525 gm so a mid-range medium. Crashes with a light touch, and fairly fast too. Nice dry ping with very controlled wash. Just about perfect for that single ride/crash cymbal. This 19 gives a lot of body and depth in just an extra inch, yet decidedly different from the 20's and clearly beefier than the 18's. Fairly dark patina dries the tone even more. Some very tiny bell hole cracks....I can live with that since the edges are clean. Only one I'm missing now from 12" to 21" is the 17" which is not one I'm really after.
Gorgeous!

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1930's/40's Zenjian ultra paper thin hats at 575/633 gm. Both bend when held in the hand. Indistinguishable in tone to me from a Zildjian of this era. Explosive fast crashes on the dark/dry side. I flipped them around and they were good. Then put a heavy 1250 gm Zenjian under each one...making dark, old vibe New Beats. Very happy with these. I've owned a number of paper thin 1st and 2nd stamp Zildjian hats. None were any better than these. Thanks DCP NH.

Zenjian hi hats 30's 40's at 575 - 636 gm ultra paper thin.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts