Your latest cymbal purchase.....

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No. I have a couple 17 2002's, a DE 17, as well as some other cymbals I'd like to try with it. If i can't get d sound i like, I'll get the top. I've been mixing, and matching different 14 Paistes of late, and really like some of the sounds
Yeah. It's a rabbit hole. So many combinations sound great.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just picked up my dream set of Big Beats. Cannot wait to try them out.
24,21,20,19,16hats
Very excited to give them a spin. I’ll try to remember to post pics in the other cymbal thread when they arrive.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my dream set of Big Beats. Cannot wait to try them out.
24,21,20,19,16hats
Very excited to give them a spin. I’ll try to remember to post pics in the other cymbal thread when they arrive.
I love those sizes. The i have the "regular" 18, 20, 24, and to my ear, they all have these dark, complex overtones. I actually like the sound better than the DE's. The GB's also all extremely versatile. I got all Multi's, as I've heard the 18 thin, and wasn't as crazy about it. The 21, and 19 must sound incredible, as the 20 is my favorite all time crash (I really like the 20 Sig full too tho), but I'd imagine a 21 is even more explosive, and versatile.
Did you find a cymbal pack with those sizes, or get em individually?
Anyway, congrats! You got a real nice set of cymbals

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oooooo ... nice weight for one of those.
I've got another 21, with "MEDIUM" ink still visible, that tips the scales around 2570g - probably my best all-around general purpose ride. I don't know what this one is - there's no ink visible on top, just the "21" underneath the bell. This one definitely is a different creature. At first blush, it pairs nicely as a left side ride to go with my 22" SCDR.

TPC

Reaction score
I've got another 21, with "MEDIUM" ink still visible, that tips the scales around 2570g - probably my best all-around general purpose ride. I don't know what this one is - there's no ink visible on top, just the "21" underneath the bell. This one definitely is a different creature. At first blush, it pairs nicely as a left side ride to go with my 22" SCDR.
I have a 23" at 2920 g (very comparable weight to your 21" at 2275 g), and Zen and I went back and forth about what the designation might be. It falls right in the middle between a "Medium" and a "Thin" based all of the recorded weights of old 602's with the designation markings still visible. Steve said it was probably a Medium, but because it "plays light", I think of it as a Thin. In any case, it's about the perfect weight for an old 602, imo.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh dam...I either missed it, or didn't see they were Pre Serial.
I've yet to come across any in that condition, and never in those sizes

curly

Reaction score
Just in from Craig, this lovely 22. I get the really thin cymbal thing. Its a sound and it has its use, but over time I've become fonder of cymbals with more body. There's just more there and they tend to be more versatile.

Craig is a master and this one is wonderful.

I picked up this 1929 gram 20" Rustico. I could probably sell all my other cymbals and this 20 and the 22 above and be happy. They are that good and they pair nicely.

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hope so. I've never spent that much on a cymbal I didn't listen to first. In fact, I've never purchased a cymbal EVER without listening to either a sound file or the actual cymbal first...
The good thing is Paiste is known for their consistency so I bet it sounds and plays like it's supposed to. The question will be do you like how sounds and plays . Please let us know when you get it.

Retired Guy

Reaction score
East of the Rockies, west of the Mississippi
The good thing is Paiste is known for their consistency so I bet it sounds and plays like it's supposed to. The question will be do you like how sounds and plays . Please let us know when you get it.
Least I can do and I sure will.

Appreciate the encouragement! Was actually thinking what you say about trusting anything Paiste before I hit the Purchase button.

Someone in here in another thread suggested checking to see if any name artists use a certain model if you're considering it. Did so prior to purchase and discovered Abe Laboriel has one. He has a sound file on one over at mycymbal.com which I DID listen to, so actually it wasn't a total risk. Whoever made that suggestion, if you're reading, I very much appreciate it. I feel like I was able to find a quality crash/ride without tons of research, although I did do some.

Funny thing is I went back to the website where I made the purchase figuring an electronics place wouldn't have another Paiste 24" Giant Beat available and-----------they do!

It's like they're cooking hotcakes over there or something...where are they getting 'em?!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You got an awesome cymbal, at a fair price.
The 24 GB is as much a crash as a ride. I love my GB's.
Shoot, i love all my Paistes