Your latest cymbal purchase.....

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just picked up this 22" Crescent Element from hoochymama last week to finish out my Sabian rig. I was playing a Legacy Heavy but overall this a much better fit with the HH Vanguards that make up the rest of the set. THANKS FOR THE RIDE
hoochymama (and hes GREAT to deal with as well!)!!

003 copy.jpg

20200719_100342.jpg

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Posted about this elsewhere, but not here where it belongs. I recently got a steal of a deal off of Amazon for a 20" Oriental Crash of Doom. I've been loving how it works as a big, dark, ominous and washy crash, but have also been surprised at just how well it works as a jazz ride. It has beautiful stick definition, nicely trashy accents and a bright bell, and actually reminds me quite a bit of Tony Williams' ride sound on Nefertiti (now if I could only play like him!). This is a far more versatile cymbal than the sound effects designation would lead you to believe.

Attachments

Retired Guy

Reaction score
East of the Rockies, west of the Mississippi
The good thing is Paiste is known for their consistency so I bet it sounds and plays like it's supposed to. The question will be do you like how sounds and plays . Please let us know when you get it.
Wellllllllll.

We sent the
The good thing is Paiste is known for their consistency so I bet it sounds and plays like it's supposed to. The question will be do you like how sounds and plays . Please let us know when you get it.
We sent the Giant Beat back. (((sigh)))

Too silvery for me... Or maybe it's been so long since I had a 24 (1976, somebody stole my 24" Zildjian at college) that I forgot how much stick energy it takes to get 'em rolling.
I use a very forgiving 7A now, which lets me hit a little harder.

Anyway exchanged for a 24" Paiste 2002, which is a complex dry but still rocks with consistent upper high end. It's like a Middle C wash, overall.

Our impression of Reverend Al's Big Ride?

Quality is there, no nicks, scratches, or stick marks. Let's just say she and I are learning to dance together for now. It's a left-side ride in an open-handed setup. Glad I've an Alan White signature Sabian 22" for the right side. Can always find a clean, clear, harmonic groove with it, usually about 2/3 in from player's edge.

So... we did alright but I don't think I'll be purchasing any more without listening to an actual sound file first. There's something to be said for Paiste's quality here, but it all comes down to that particular cymbal's sound. Your ear's gotta love what you're about to play or it'll end up on eBay as a $100 test fee experience and coming away...thirsty for something more fulfilling.

By the way I can't figure how you guys are taking photos and getting them in here. When I do that with my phone it tells me the file size is too large.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wellllllllll.

We sent the

Too silvery for me... Or maybe it's been so long since I had a 24 (1976, somebody stole my 24" Zildjian at college) that I forgot how much stick energy it takes to get 'em rolling.

Anyway exchanged for a 24" Paiste 2002, which is a complex dry but still rocks with consistent upper high end. It's like a Middle C wash, overall.

Quality is there, no nicks, scratches, or stick marks. Let's just say she and I are learning to dance together for now. It's a left-side ride in an open-handed setup. Glad I've an Alan White signature Sabian 22" for the right side. Can always find a clean, clear, harmonic groove with it, usually about 2/3 in from player's edge.

So... we did alright but I don't think I'll be purchasing any more without listening to an actual sound file first. There's something to be said for Paiste's quality here, but it all comes down to that particular cymbal's sound. Your ear's gotta love what you're about to play or it'll end up on eBay as a $100 test fee experience and coming away...thirsty for something more fulfilling.

By the way I can't figure how you guys are taking photos and getting them in here. When I do that with my phone it tells me the file size is too large.
You tried the Giant Beat and found it wasn't for you. That's ok.

You tried the 2002 and found it is for you. That's pretty cool!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wellllllllll.

We sent the

Sweet, that's how I play, so your main ride is on your left, correct?

Maybe your problems are you went for Paiste's B8 alloy offerings? I started on B8 myself with Zildjian's budget lines and I have yet to be able to get over that B8 shrillness, I think I read someone here refer to it as "telephone ring"?
You might be better off with one of their other lines that are closer to B20.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mind sharing the price, rounded off?
Absolutely! I bought them from Musician's Friend. I called them up and they gave me a great deal. They had the super set with the thin cymbals (brilliant finish) which is the one that I wanted because of the sound that they produce. They also have it in natural finish. Everyone else pretty much had the set with the x-plosion cymbals which i didn't like. Normal price for the Super cymbal set was $1160 and I got it for $900. The 20" medium crash that I added sells for $385 and I got it for $273. I saved $372! Total $1173 for 7 brand new HHX cymbals!
Here's a quick cell phone sound file that I made if you'd like to hear them:
https://soundcloud.com/user-432338557%2Fhhx-cymbals Hope this helps,
LRod

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just got the Beautiful Baby a couple of days ago. I took a chance on it as I love videos of cymbals with sizzles but in real life (for me) sizzles tend to be overpowering but not so with this cymbal. I was also concerned about a 19" being too high of a pitch but again not so much. It also crashes surprisingly well. The cymbal weighs in at 1843 grams. I'm going to take it to our bands practice where I'm playing a set of Giant Beats. I'm not sure how well it will integrate but I want to play it out so we will see.

Attachments

Latest posts