Your latest cymbal purchase.....

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! Sweet! Any plans for it? Top hat?
Probably not a hat but you never know. It literally is priceless and such a sweet cymbal. I think Ill do one of my videos with the small K’s/A’s They are perfect suspended cymbals for percussion/classical work. Ive got to baby this one!

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sweet. I'm curious to hear how you like it. I've wanted one for a while...
I'm not the best at describing cymbals but what I liked about it when playing last night is I was getting good stick definition, the pitch was not too high, and it was not getting washed out. It worked alongside my 24" white label giant beat better than I expected.

I don't think I crashed it last night.

I did end up putting a little rubber O ring on 2 of the 3 sizzles as felt like the 3 were just too much for what we were playing. Neither the bassist or guitarist said anything about the sizzles so I don't know if they noticed or not. I didn't tell them I brought a new cymbal.

I'm happy with the cymbal. I have no idea how consistent the Beautiful Baby's are cymbal to cymbal.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not the best at describing cymbals but what I liked about it when playing last night is I was getting good stick definition, the pitch was not too high, and it was not getting washed out. It worked alongside my 24" white label giant beat better than I expected.

I don't think I crashed it last night.

I did end up putting a little rubber O ring on 2 of the 3 sizzles as felt like the 3 were just too much for what we were playing. Neither the bassist or guitarist said anything about the sizzles so I don't know if they noticed or not. I didn't tell them I brought a new cymbal.

I'm happy with the cymbal. I have no idea how consistent the Beautiful Baby's are cymbal to cymbal.
GD guitarists. They never notice anything drum related...

That a good review. Is yours on the heavier side for BB's? That's what I would look for, I think. I can imagine the lighter ones getting away from me a little too easily.

Thanks for the review!

footbeat

Reaction score
I picked up a Zildjian L80 LV468 pack. They really are quiet. Good for practice. Along with Remo Silent Stroke heads, I can play vigorously at 10:30 PM and not even wake up my dear wife!!!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably not a hat but you never know. It literally is priceless and such a sweet cymbal. I think Ill do one of my videos with the small K’s/A’s They are perfect suspended cymbals for percussion/classical work. Ive got to baby this one!
I get it. It would be hard for me to not play that thing, but being hi hats can be bad for cymbals. Crash sounds fun.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
GD guitarists. They never notice anything drum related...

That a good review. Is yours on the heavier side for BB's? That's what I would look for, I think. I can imagine the lighter ones getting away from me a little too easily.

Thanks for the review!
Well mine is 1843 grams on my scale which I feel is pretty accurate give or take a few grams. A half dozen or so videos I looked at had cymbals ranging from roughly 1725 grams to 1910 grams including, both the older and newer A cymbals, so I think mine is on the slightly heavier side of average.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven’t owned or played a 16” crash since the last century but recently my ears went looking for that sound. So finally a 16” Meinl Byzance thin crash brilliant made it home along with a 19” medium thin crash brilliant. The Byzance Brilliant series crashes are some if the most versatile crashes I have come across and I now own a 16” two 18” and a 19”. On the dark side with a lot of shimmer silver and crunch, open up fast and very full bodied.

DD37951A-9FA3-43F5-AA07-4C5FBF1D486A.jpeg

marc3k

Reaction score
IMG_1971.jpg

Istanbul Agop OM 15" Hi-hats. My first 15" hi hats ever! Very dry and dark. It's a pretty different sound from my previous hi-hats (Zildjian 14" K Mastersounds) and it probably takes some time to get used to it. The open sound (e.g splashes) is also very different. I wonder if these differences are caused by the different size..

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a long search and listening to countless examples, I finally took delivery of a gorgeous Monophonic Ride.

I'm not a Jazz player, but I fell in love when Meinl showed these cymbals at NAMM 2018. There's just something about them that, despite my best efforts, I simply could not ignore, and this one was absolutely worth the wait.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well mine is 1843 grams on my scale which I feel is pretty accurate give or take a few grams. A half dozen or so videos I looked at had cymbals ranging from roughly 1725 grams to 1910 grams including, both the older and newer A cymbals, so I think mine is on the slightly heavier side of average.
I set the Beautiful Baby up as a left side ride today. I've never played a left side before. I also tried it as a crash while playing Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks" just because the cymbal was in a convenient spot and it worked "Beautifully Baby"! I'm quite surprised at how versatile this particular example is for me. Definitely a keeper.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After a long search and listening to countless examples, I finally took delivery of a gorgeous Monophonic Ride.

I'm not a Jazz player, but I fell in love when Meinl showed these cymbals at NAMM 2018. There's just something about them that, despite my best efforts, I simply could not ignore, and this one was absolutely worth the wait.

That’s my favorite Meinl ride. I have TWO!

Acidwash

Reaction score
Came upon something cool on eBay last week. It’s an Agop Signature 20” Ride. What attracted me to it besides it being a Signature ride for a good price was the weight seemed unusual 2010 grams vs the 16xx-17xx of all the others I have found info on. Also it had beautiful hammered patches all around the edge. It also appeared to have a serial number on the bell. Finally the seller said it had been in storage for over a decade, so it had to be early. It got here today and I did a little reading up and it seems like it may be a very early version, as only the first couple years had serial numbers, as well as heavier weights. It also has a slightly larger Istanbul logo and no laser crest. But Most importantly, it sounds fantastic! I took a picture of it next to a more modern one to show the differences.
5D545E41-F7D8-4227-8257-7FE71B89C8C5.jpeg
5442F590-3203-4B6D-AED4-589393365CFC.jpeg
4F2D4C95-3429-449A-BB12-8EC5BF88CBDA.jpeg
5D1FED2C-E640-4929-BC32-560AC8FEE5EF.jpeg

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Out of curiosity, do you play them as a pair or split between kits?
Both. They actually sound great together, one is higher/trashier, the other smoother and lower. But they usually end up split up, because it’s a very specific sound when paired together.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came upon something cool on eBay last week. It’s an Agop Signature 20” Ride. What attracted me to it besides it being a Signature ride for a good price was the weight seemed unusual 2010 grams vs the 16xx-17xx of all the others I have found info on. Also it had beautiful hammered patches all around the edge. It also appeared to have a serial number on the bell. Finally the seller said it had been in storage for over a decade, so it had to be early. It got here today and I did a little reading up and it seems like it may be a very early version, as only the first couple years had serial numbers, as well as heavier weights. It also has a slightly larger Istanbul logo and no laser crest. But Most importantly, it sounds fantastic! I took a picture of it next to a more modern one to show the differences.
View attachment 454899 View attachment 454900 View attachment 454901 View attachment 454902
Holy Moly.
What are they like with a little more beef left on em?

Bennie94

Reaction score
Just got the Beautiful Baby a couple of days ago. I took a chance on it as I love videos of cymbals with sizzles but in real life (for me) sizzles tend to be overpowering but not so with this cymbal. I was also concerned about a 19" being too high of a pitch but again not so much. It also crashes surprisingly well. The cymbal weighs in at 1843 grams. I'm going to take it to our bands practice where I'm playing a set of Giant Beats. I'm not sure how well it will integrate but I want to play it out so we will see.
I recently got to try that cymbal in person and I loved it. Is there any major differences compared to the other Armand rides? They don't have rivets but I see them listed at half the price.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently got to try that cymbal in person and I loved it. Is there any major differences compared to the other Armand rides? They don't have rivets but I see them listed at half the price.
I'm really not sure how it is different from other Zildjian A rides as do not have any and have not played any either. Wish I had better information than that to share but unfortunately I do not.

Acidwash

Reaction score
Holy Moly.
What are they like with a little more beef left on em?
Played it a whole bunch today, and it is an impressive ride. The extra weight gives it a very clear strong stick presence with a slightly higher pitch, with a low roar of a wash that doesn’t overpower. It really projects, especially for a Sig. Bell is clear and musical. Crash has the Agop dirty magic, but mutated and powerful. If that is dragon breath, than this is mecha Godzilla breath. Ran it with a Sig 20” crash 1575 gram, and that was fun. Then I put my usual main filly ride, a 22” 30th of almost the exact same weight on the left and that worked even better. I see a bright future for this ride.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Have bought quite a few cymbals over the last year or so for the last Chicago show that didn't happen. BUT....can't recall the last one that I bought for me. Seems like it was a paper thin Zilco sizzle that is about the neatest fast trash crash that I have played. It's the sound that I always had in my head....18".

Mike