Your latest cymbal purchase.....

deegeebee

Reaction score
Picked this up on Reverb recently. I am no flat ride jock, but these KCFTR 22s have always been ones that have caught my ear. Big and thin enough that they carry a subtle dark wash and arent too piercing. Unfortunately don't have a real musical application for this sound at the moment, just too quiet for use with the band, but it is fun to play and different enough from anything else I have that I think it is worth keeping around in the "toolbox".
20200827_200630_HDR~3.jpg

JFBL

Reaction score
You are a blessed person. Those are not easy to find. Good onya!
I just got a refund from the seller, some things were stolen from a studio and this cymbal was among the items taken. Onward.

drumjargon

Reaction score
i got a 22" from classic vintage drums. I went on a bit of a G.A.S. rampage.. got the 20" K @1767g, a 22" trans @ 2270g, a 20" A @1965g supposedly owned by Barrett Deems, and the one below. I can pic and choose which ones I will keep and sell one or two most likely... they are all winners though!!

WOWWWW this thing looks and sounds GLORIOUS. And that bell!!!

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big green ping monster of death:

It's not green but has some green tints to it. I've had 2 of these along the way, my favorite power ride so far. I have a 20in K ride that I'm thinking of selling, new basically, I didn't care for it.

I also took a chance on a couple of Wuhan cymbals, 12in splash and 16in thin crash and for the price, they're... ok. I got those with an 18in Wuhan china trash which is all it's garbage can lid glory.

Dumpy

Reaction score
Big green ping monster of death:

It's not green but has some green tints to it. I've had 2 of these along the way, my favorite power ride so far. I have a 20in K ride that I'm thinking of selling, new basically, I didn't care for it.

I also took a chance on a couple of Wuhan cymbals, 12in splash and 16in thin crash and for the price, they're... ok. I got those with an 18in Wuhan china trash which is all it's garbage can lid glory.
Later Rude cymbals didn’t get as greened out like the original ones. I wonder if it was a change in the composition of the coating. Though I do wonder if it may not green out over time. Love the Rude series, and will likely order a couple with Colorsound coating in black. I need to go to the Sound Room on their site and listen to a few.

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Later Rude cymbals didn’t get as greened out like the original ones. I wonder if it was a change in the composition of the coating. Though I do wonder if it may not green out over time. Love the Rude series, and will likely order a couple with Colorsound coating in black. I need to go to the Sound Room on their site and listen to a few.
I wondered the same thing, the ones I had 20 or 30 years ago seemed greener. It sounds great, I'm happy with it though.

I think of all the stuff I got rid of because I figured my playing days were over and I want to pound my head against the wall.

Dumpy

Reaction score
I wondered the same thing, the ones I had 20 or 30 years ago seemed greener. It sounds great, I'm happy with it though.

I think of all the stuff I got rid of because I figured my playing days were over and I want to pound my head against the wall.
Me too!

I actually had gotten rid of a great set of original Joey Jordison Alphas as well as a great collection of Colorsounds to play blues music and get cymbals for that sound. That is what I regret. I had the elusive and rare 19” ride/crash Rude (yes- there IS a difference). Of course I had TWO Stewart Copeland blue bell rides over the years that it was actually hard to get that signature Police ride sound from (?!?). Great cymbal aesthetics wise, but I couldn’t get along with it.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After a long search and listening to countless examples, I finally took delivery of a gorgeous Monophonic Ride.

I'm not a Jazz player, but I fell in love when Meinl showed these cymbals at NAMM 2018. There's just something about them that, despite my best efforts, I simply could not ignore, and this one was absolutely worth the wait.

Welcome to the Meinl club. I have a Monophonic and it’s a gorgeous cymbal. Meinl are still highly overlooked which I find strange since all the high end cymbals are extremely high quality Turkish made cymbals.

I was offered to check out a set of Zildjians a few weeks back (I always have a weak spot for Z’s) and received a few rides, a few crashes and a couple of hats, both A and K. Actually all of them were quite nice but felt stiffer and muted compared to the Meinl Byzance cymbals I have. There’s a lot of magic going on there.

However I do have a few Z’s from the 60’s which are absolutely gorgeous sounding.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Received this as a gift a couple days ago: 60’s A hihat 850gr over 850gr. Yes, both are the same weight. Matches my 50’s 22” A perfectly and sounds and plays like butter. Chick sound is especially sweet; strong, thick and articulate.

B8111BE6-6F28-4462-8560-AD6FC50146C1.jpeg

8152C2FC-EEDF-481E-B23D-728B8DDEC776.jpeg

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just picked up a dirty old 14" - ex Hi Hat off Ebay. No stamp apparently. But, it appeared to be 50's Zildjian. 3 bell hole cracks. At $32 shipped what's to lose?

Turns out it was a Trans Stamp.....600 gm paper thin as well. The stamp was thinly impressed and well hidden in the "dirt." Cymbal bends under its own weight. Just so happened I had a single 760 gm Trans stamp to pair it up with. Same patina too. Pretty strong foot "chick" despite the light weights. The irony is this is that last year I had a single trans stamp 14 ex-hat at 565 gms with some edge tattering. I'd have loved to try out a 565/600 gm trans stamp pair. But I gave that one away for $65 figuring I'd never run across a "tattered" paper thin mate at similar money. Never say never. What you're looking for...........always seen to eventually show up.

Also picked up an odd, 60's to 70's - 20" Pasha at a thin 1783 gm...and stamped "Medium." Square "made in Italy" ink stamp on reverse. Has a "bit" of that old K or Trans A type feel and tone to it with a very dry and articulate stick, very low and fast crash, nice mellow bell.......overall quite soft and mellow for trio type use......very controlled....not trashy. Very deeply toned. I like this one...for now.

Zildjian trans stamp hi hats 600-768

Pasha sound video

trans stamp 14 in at 600 gm.jpg

Last edited:

JFBL

Reaction score
One door closes, another one opens. Just bought the one on Reverb. It's earlier, Serial # 349918 (1983) and it looks like this is the one I was supposed to get. 3250 grams. And no international shipping or duty charges. Guten Abend Fräulein. @Dumpy @tkillian @D. B. Cooper @Tama CW

View attachment 457765

View attachment 457766

The cymbal arrived today and it is OUTSTANDING. Dark, mysterious, chimey, and gong-like but not at all hard or harsh sounding and extremely playable. I thought my first session was going to be sobering as the SCDR can be punishing to an unsure hand, but all the practicing I’ve been doing has paid off and I was not spanked. Quite the contrary. And very controllable volume. My jaw has hit the floor.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just picked up a dirty old 14" - ex Hi Hat off Ebay. No stamp apparently. But, it appeared to be 50's Zildjian. 3 bell hole cracks. At $32 shipped what's to lose?

Turns out it was a Trans Stamp.....600 gm paper thin as well. The stamp was thinly impressed and well hidden in the "dirt." Cymbal bends under its own weight. Just so happened I had a single 760 gm Trans stamp to pair it up with. Same patina too. Pretty strong foot "chick" despite the light weights. The irony is this is that last year I had a single trans stamp 14 ex-hat at 565 gms with some edge tattering. I'd have loved to try out a 565/600 gm trans stamp pair. But I gave that one away for $65 figuring I'd never run across a "tattered" paper thin mate at similar money. Never say never. What you're looking for...........always seen to eventually show up.

Also picked up an odd, 60's to 70's - 20" Pasha at a thin 1783 gm...and stamped "Medium." Square "made in Italy" ink stamp on reverse. Has a "bit" of that old K or Trans A type feel and tone to it with a very dry and articulate stick, very low and fast crash, nice mellow bell.......overall quite soft and mellow for trio type use......very controlled....not trashy. Very deeply toned. I like this one...for now.

Zildjian trans stamp hi hats 600-768

Pasha sound video

View attachment 458115
Wow. That sounds awesome. Relative to their weight, would you say they are thin or thick at the edges?

Latest posts