Your latest cymbal purchase.....

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Just picked up a dirty old 14" - ex Hi Hat off Ebay. No stamp apparently. But, it appeared to be 50's Zildjian. 3 bell hole cracks. At $32 shipped what's to lose?

Turns out it was a Trans Stamp.....600 gm paper thin as well. The stamp was thinly impressed and well hidden in the "dirt." Cymbal bends under its own weight. Just so happened I had a single 760 gm Trans stamp to pair it up with. Same patina too. Pretty strong foot "chick" despite the light weights. The irony is this is that last year I had a single trans stamp 14 ex-hat at 565 gms with some edge tattering. I'd have loved to try out a 565/600 gm trans stamp pair. But I gave that one away for $65 figuring I'd never run across a "tattered" paper thin mate at similar money. Never say never. What you're looking for...........always seen to eventually show up.

Also picked up an odd, 60's to 70's - 20" Pasha at a thin 1783 gm...and stamped "Medium." Square "made in Italy" ink stamp on reverse. Has a "bit" of that old K or Trans A type feel and tone to it with a very dry and articulate stick, very low and fast crash, nice mellow bell.......overall quite soft and mellow for trio type use......very controlled....not trashy. Very deeply toned. I like this one...for now.

Zildjian trans stamp hi hats 600-768

Pasha sound video

View attachment 458115
Very nice finds. That's the way to do it. Super weight! Enjoy.

Mike

TPC

Reaction score
The cymbal arrived today and it is OUTSTANDING. Dark, mysterious, chimey, and gong-like but not at all hard or harsh sounding and extremely playable. I thought my first session was going to be sobering as the SCDR can be punishing to an unsure hand, but all the practicing I’ve been doing has paid off and I was not spanked. Quite the contrary. And very controllable volume. My jaw has hit the floor.

Nice. A good SCDR played with a sensitive touch is a real thing of beauty.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
2 this week.... Both Sabian HHX Complex line. A set of 15" medium hats 1380/1118 very nice..... I could not stop playing them yesterday. Still experimenting with the tilter angle and distance between them etc... Also picked up a 10" splash in the same series that thing is the splash sound I hear in my head when I imagine one... I failed to weigh it before I set it up, I'll get that later

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
2 this week.... Both Sabian HHX Complex line. A set of 15" medium hats 1380/1118 very nice..... I could not stop playing them yesterday. Still experimenting with the tilter angle and distance between them etc... Also picked up a 10" splash in the same series that thing is the splash sound I hear in my head when I imagine one... I failed to weigh it before I set it up, I'll get that later
Congrats! This line is killing me....serious GAS on the fire.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautiful. They sure do sound great and are really fun to play but they are definitely super quiet cymbals. Enjoy!
Are you saying the Agop Signature line in general are pretty quiet or more just this particular model? I don't have any so I'm not challenging your guys statements. I actually prefer quieter cymbals in general and therefore curious.

jsp210

Reaction score
Are you saying the Agop Signature line in general are pretty quiet or more just this particular model? I don't have any so I'm not challenging your guys statements. I actually prefer quieter cymbals in general and therefore curious.
Signatures and Special Editions are definitely on the quieter end of the spectrum. They do come in heavier weights but I think the overall sound profile with the mostly unlathed bottoms keep them quieter. Lovely stick and complex wash on them. Om is relatively quiet too but have more stick hovering over the top in my experience with them. The Mantra line come heavier and offer more volume and "wetter" character from what I have heard. I imagine the 30th anniversary project more than these given the shape. If you want quiet and you like dry and complex then might stick with SE, Epoch, and Signature.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Signatures and Special Editions are definitely on the quieter end of the spectrum. They do come in heavier weights but I think the overall sound profile with the mostly unlathed bottoms keep them quieter. Lovely stick and complex wash on them. Om is relatively quiet too but have more stick hovering over the top in my experience with them. The Mantra line come heavier and offer more volume and "wetter" character from what I have heard. I imagine the 30th anniversary project more than these given the shape. If you want quiet and you like dry and complex then might stick with SE, Epoch, and Signature.
Thank you for your insight! I really appreciate it.

marc3k

Reaction score
I imagine the 30th anniversary project more than these given the shape. If you want quiet and you like dry and complex then might stick with SE, Epoch, and Signature.
I agree - I have a 22" 30th anniversary ride and in my opinion it can get louder if you want it to. I can hit the signature ride harder, but it does not get louder :)

jsp210

Reaction score
I agree - I have a 22" 30th anniversary ride and in my opinion it can get louder if you want it to. I can hit the signature ride harder, but it does not get louder :)
Rather than as a primary ride, I have settled into using these quiet and sorta trashy Agop rides - Signatures, Special Edition, Epoch, Om.... as a kind of mellower china or pang voice to the right of my primary slot (usually a 50s A Zildjian). Lots of tones you can coax and out of these cymbals without the brashness of a china/pang. All the crashes in these lines are fantastic, just can't seem to do them for main ride (dissonant overtones = lack of a cohesive sound). A 30th would probably do the trick but I kind of like the way these dark and complex beauties complement the vintage A. Zildjians as a supporting cast.

Pibroch

Reaction score
Thank you for your insight! I really appreciate it.
A poster on this forum whose name escapes me likes Agop Turk Jazz rides for quiet applications. Thanks in part to their suggestion I just bought one - the 19” listed on Tony Costello’s cymbalsonly.com. Immediately fell in love with the sound on the demo file.

EDIT: Thank you TPC and EyeByTwoMuchGeer.

Last edited:

Latest posts