Your latest cymbal purchase.....

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
Just purchased a 16 Paiste Signature Fast crash off Reverb for 120 + 20 shipping. Was only listed yesterday. Pictures and description show it to be in good shape with no dings or cracks. Some scratches and wear but seemed too good a deal to not give it a shot.
The signature fast crash sounds very nice and with a clear note and shimmering decay. But I see why people do not try to blend these with Zildjians, Does not go with any of my old 60s and 70s A rides or crashes. So if I keep this, I am going to have to buy MORE cymbals. Yea. wife won't understand but that is an old story we all know.

I got out other 16s and re listened to them. Of those, the UFIP natural, wow I like that so much as well and will continue to keep a lookout for a good deal on an 18 crash. The Ufip natural would be a great all around low to mid volume set up. Not as dirty/low as a thin A and not as ringing as medium thin.

deegeebee

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice Canadian K DeeGeeBee. Those sort of fill in the gap from 1977-1982 from the Old K Istanbuls to the start of the EAK's in Mass. Probably closer in sound/appearance to the old K's than the EAK's. It looks to me like a New Stamp in lathing and hammering.
Agree. Even closer to my eyes is an early pre-split Istanbul. Lathing, hammering, etc. looks very close.

In any event, it’s a beauty.
Thanks guys, really enjoying this one. Even sweeter since it was cheap and I was lacking a great 20" medium ride, which this is. Decided to wipe the blood splatter off of it with a damp cloth. Not sure it was the right call, but it was kind of gross and distracting. Easily 20% less awesome now though.
20200930_190403.jpg

Zen has been chiming in by DM and had this to say about where it sits in terms of production methods. Have not seen this info elsewhere:

As far as my expectations for where they sit sonically the closest I can say is I would expect them to be between New Stamp K Zildjian Istanbul and American Ks, but sitting a bit closer to the American Ks. The reasons for that are

• production methods: more like American Ks with preliminary pressing into shape or maybe Quincy drop hammering into shape, and some hand hammering done afterwards. My friends who make cymbals for a living tell me that shaping method makes a difference to the sound.
  • bells: they used the standard Avedis Zildjian bell dies which are different from the K Zildjian Istanbul dies. That makes a difference to the sound.
  • weights: they share weight ranges with the 1980s A Zildjian cymbals, although I haven't yet done a nice grand summary analysis which looks across what was happening with As and Ks from the 70s to the 90s
Thanks zen!

Last edited:

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here is a fun one that just arrived. 20" Canadian K at 2080ish g. Have only played it a bit, but seems like a lovely dark, dry, medium weight old K. Don't really know where this sits sonically in relation to Turkish New stamp Ks, EAKs and early Sabian HH rides, but certainly plays like a beautiful hand hammered cymbal.
View attachment 462694 View attachment 462695 View attachment 462696
Boy oh boy! That's a nice one! I had to dig back 6 years, but here's a pic of an early Sabian ride I owned that shares attributes.
IMG_0630.jpg
IMG_0628.jpg

Last edited:

Freewill3

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Furthering my interest in Paiste, I scored this beautiful 60's, 14" Sound Edge bottom in excellent condition. I've ordered a 14" Masters Dark top and cannot wait to hear how they sound together...
PSE1.JPG PSE2.JPG PSE3.jpg

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
OK, not exactly a purchase but rather a trade in/trade up. My only complete set of matched cymbals is a set of Avedis (14", 18", 19", 21"), and I have a variety of Zildjian K's as well. I absolutely love the Avedis line of cymbals, they have so much warmth and character, they're buttery to play and are quite versatile as well.

That said, I recently acquired a pair of 16" K Light hi hats, and have fallen head over heels for them. Switching back to my 14" Avedis, I was not enjoying their smaller size and significantly higher pitch. I therefore traded them in for a pair of 15" Avedis hats. The pitch is significantly lower, and their open sound is far more smooth and legato than it was with the 14" hats. I just love how lower pitched hats blend with the other cymbals, and sit lower in a mix so as to interfere less with vocals and guitars. My dream set of cymbals is now complete!

IMG_0302.jpg
IMG_0306.jpg

marc3k

Reaction score
Have you bought the avedis cymbals used or new? If new, how long have you been playing them and did you notice a change in sound after "breaking them in"?
I do have a 18" and a 20", but they're as good as new since I rarely ever play them.

Reaction score
Have you bought the avedis cymbals used or new? If new, how long have you been playing them and did you notice a change in sound after "breaking them in"?
I do have a 18" and a 20", but they're as good as new since I rarely ever play them.
Bought them all new, but over a period of time. They definitely do change over time and use, though they do retain the characteristics that I liked so much when first trying them out in store. I've said it before, but the main thing with these cymbals is that they vary significantly even among like sizes. As an example, I tried two 18" cymbals when I first started buying these, and one was smooth, buttery and opened up beautifully, while the other was stiff and clangy. I actually tried that same cymbal out again when I acquired these hi hats, and my judgement of it remained the same. Thing is, the one I bought is my favourite crash I've ever played, while the one remaining at the store is a total dog that I wouldn't think twice about passing over. Moral of the story being, they'll change a bit as you play them, but the fundamental character of each cymbal is what it is, and that varies a lot. While I adore the ones I have, I can acknowledge that others have had mixed results. Try before you buy, there are jewels out there!

marc3k

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the insight! I did buy my 20" in a store and tried it against other cymbals, but this was the only 20" avedis. I did really like it because I was looking for a lighter cymbal. The 18" I have I would consider more a crash, because it opens up so quickly. Later I came across a couple of Agops so I'm currently more into the darker ones, but I need to play those again!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Got a 22" K custom special dry crash on the way with the pretty good deal on those going on at GC.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just picked up this bad boy.

Zildjian 23" K Sweet Ride. 3074 grams.
I have only played this cymbal for a couple of laid back 15 minute sessions due to having recent surgery on my arm but the little I have played has left me impressed. The cymbal responds very well to different sticks and the bell on this particular example is phenomenal. I find myself using the shaft of the stick striking the the cymbal in a parallel fashion for some great texture which I've never really consciously done before. Thumbs up so far here on these K Sweet Rides for sure! Now I haven't jammed with the guys yet so we will have to see if it stands up in a band setting.

deegeebee

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally found a reasonably priced pair of 13" K Custom Dark Hats and I have to say I am suitably impressed. Well dirty, but that has never bothered me. Not sure what the nornal weight range for these is, but thse play a bit lighter than I expected at 800/930, very stiff and crisp, very articulate, ride nicely. Chick sound is maybe half a notch lower than I would like, but seems more sensitive to technique than some, so maybe just a question of getting to knoq them. Overall these seem like great hats for lower volume stuff where I still want to maintain some stick clarity.

20201005_142220_HDR~2.jpg

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up some 50's Zildjians.

22" Hollow Block large stamp at 2348 gm. Medium thin to thin. Very flexible. Deep, dry and mellow. Can sound do loud or soft. Best sounding 22 A. I've owned yet.
18" late 50's A at 1603 gm. This one is ink stamped as "HEAVY DANCE." Interesting ride/crash. Despite the "heavy" label it's quite lively and bright, articulate, crashes decently. I now understand the label "DANCE." A bit of an umbrella edge. Very clean, no issues, original. I've owned a couple of late 50's rides in the 1580 gm range. I like this one a lot better....more character. Must have sat for decades as my stick marks are breaking into the very old, dusky patina. Full brilliance on the reverse. $45 price tag under the bell. That could have been 70's or 80's.

The 22 was part of an old time, matching "key holed" set of 18,20 rivet ride, 22. Very clean set other than the key holes. All 3 blended almost perfectly together in tone. The 18 (1320) and 20 (1970 gm) were outstanding in their tone and complexity....lathed and hammered different than most of the late 50's I've run across. They had more in common with trans/large stamps than the small stamps. Hated to move them along.....went to the same buyer. But that was my plan all along to get the 22 which I need for my large stamp set.

zildjian 22 hb stamp 2348 gm 2.JPG

zildjian 18 dance ride 1603.JPG

Last edited:

Reaction score
Picked up some 50's Zildjians.

22" Hollow Block large stamp at 2350 gm. Deep, dry and mellow. Best 22 A I've owned yet.
18" late 50's A at 1620 gm. This one is ink stamped as "HEAVY DANCE." Interesting ride/crash.

The 22 was part of an old time, matching "key holed" set of 18,20 rivet ride, 22. Very clean set other than the key holes. All 3 blended almost perfectly together in tone. The 18 (1320) and 20 (1970 gm) were outstanding in their tone and complexity....lathed and hammered different than most of the late 50's I've run across. They had more in common with trans/large stamps than the small stamps. Hated to move them along. But that was my plan all along to get the 22 which I need for my large stamp set.
No pictures? You're such a tease!