Your latest cymbal purchase.....

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Technically not a purchase since a friend gave this to me. It was a $10 purchase from a store in Erie, PA. He repaired the crack. I think he did a good job! View attachment 465542 View attachment 465543
Cool! What size? How's it sound with the crack? It looks like maybe the crack was widened to keep the edges of the crack from vibrating against each other?

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes
Cool! What size? How's it sound with the crack? It looks like maybe the crack was widened to keep the edges of the crack from vibrating against each other?
Yes that’s correct. He drilled the end of the crack and then opened the two sides of it up. It’s a 20”.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Got my 22" k custom special dry crash last week. Absolutely love it. It was a major impulse buy, and I wasn't expecting to like it. It replaced my 20" A custom efx. Mallets are incredible on it. A dry mix of crash, gong, and China.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Got my 22" k custom special dry crash last week. Absolutely love it. It was a major impulse buy, and I wasn't expecting to like it. It replaced my 20" A custom efx. Mallets are incredible on it. A dry mix of crash, gong, and China.
Did you happen to get a weight of it?

CigarScott

Reaction score
I just picked up a 20" Paiste Signature Reflector Heavy Full Crash. Now I finally have a complete set from 16" to 20".

deegeebee

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
20201020_155402_HDR.jpg

Nice surprise with this one! Snagged a medium thin 18" A without munch info or great pictures but the price was right and I needed something a bit heavier than the paper thin 70s 18" I was using. Assumed it was 60s based on a blurry stamp closeup. Just arrived and Surprise! It's a nice 50s large stamp with nice stick definition on top of a good crash. Haven't gotten to know it yet and as you can see I have to sort out the small hole vs big stand issue before going to town on it.

Edit: 1420 g Played it a bit, nice cymbal, a lot brighter than my block stamp 22", but still quite dry if that makes sense, think they will get along just fine. Chain dried it out even more, tamed the crash a bit.

This is the second of these "type 1 large stamps" that I have had, other was more of a medium weight 20" but both8 had the same look and sound. Outer inch of both looks almost flanged and the edge sharp. Bright and dry. A distinct species of A?
20201020_203801.jpg
20201020_203816.jpg

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just received a 20” Paiste Masters Dark Crash ride from tkillian . I am thrilled with this ride . It has three copper rivets installed which really adds a lot to the sound of this ride . It is a fantastic cymbal .

Attachments

chillybase

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought these within the last month or so.

14" K Custom Dark hi-hats
18" K Dark Medium Thin Dark Crash
20" K Custom Dark Ride

IMG_0353.jpeg

I'm undecided on how I like the crash as a crash but it does sound nice as a light ride. I am liking the K Custom Dark line. I think they can serve those with a lot of finesse and they can also be forgiving to those that do not (me). I have a 20" redesign A medium-thin crash that works well with the K Custom Dark hats and ride.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought these within the last month or so.

14" K Custom Dark hi-hats
18" K Dark Medium Thin Dark Crash
20" K Custom Dark Ride

View attachment 466631

I'm undecided on how I like the crash as a crash but it does sound nice as a light ride. I am liking the K Custom Dark line. I think they can serve those with a lot of finesse and they can also be forgiving to those that do not (me). I have a 20" redesign A medium-thin crash that works well with the K Custom Dark hats and ride.
I have that same group except my 18” crash is a Custom Dark. They do work well together. Believe it or not that 18 is my only dedicated “crash”. Works just fine. Bought them over a span of years piecemeal. The ride is the oldest— quite dirty and played in. The low end does get more pronounced as they age, in my tinittus-ridden opinion.

Rhythm Block

Reaction score
I recently scored a full set of 50s era Zildjian As, including a 22", 20", 13", and 14" hats. These cymbals are bonkers. The 22 is a block stamp; it's extraordinarily well balanced, possibly the finest ride I've ever played. The 20, 13, and top hat are all remarkably thin but have not been played into submission, so they're responsive and full. The bottom hat is just heavy but pairs well with another 50s small stamp I already had. I have a full set of K constantinoples and these are giving them a run for their money, but at the same time they're incomparable. I'll post pics if anyone wants but don't have any on hand at the moment.

Ian S

Reaction score
A Tuesday night distraction..

To cope with abundant stress and anxiety, I recently bought things. One was this trashy super- extra- extremely extreme papery Paperthin (1673) 22" Masterwork from Hazelshould, which I couldn't resist at $250.

You might even recognize the model from a recent discussion here (poco rit. might have the same model)

Okay I know, perhaps these types of things are a running gag at the foundry,, and within 'old K' fraternities. I grasp this ethos, I go in with humor all the time. I hope people laugh with me, but if they laugh at me that's okay too. Long as we're laughing.

Thumbnails, if you like to see an inexpensive Turkish cymbal up close.

This is the very one. I tapped on it some this evening, it sounds nice enough in my apartment and I can confirm the bell sounds much better than the video lets on.

Last edited: