Your latest cymbal purchase.....

Jimmy two Times

Reaction score
I,like most, miss my cymbalholics.com fix. so here is a small attempt to connect to some of the stuff we had over there. so tell me what you got most recently cymbal wise....

I slipped up on a nice jewel recently. I bought a 60's avedis 24". seller mentioned that it was around 3400 grams. a little heavier than my dream cymbal but still thought I would give a try. I had just bought a new digital scale and had it ready for the arrival of the 24. when it arrived, I could tell right away it was thinner than that because ive had one 2800 and 3200. I was pleasantly pleased when it weighed in at 2976 grams. its a jewel. has a ton of different sounds as a ride cymbal. it crashes well and the bell is full and musical. I so wish that it had rivets though. I have really come to enjoy them on cymbals over they years...

has some beautiful dark green patina right at the bottom. I picture some old jazz cat clasping it there while laying down some nice patterns...

so....what did ya get lately???

mike
Well I just picked up a 7piece maple Gretch Catalina set and then I was off and running so I picked up a22 Bluebell ride then a 20 inch paiste signature series heavy ride a 18 medium crash a16 fast crash and a 19 I can’t stop I’m so Obsessed lol

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I just picked up a 7piece maple Gretch Catalina set and then I was off and running so I picked up a22 Bluebell ride then a 20 inch paiste signature series heavy ride a 18 medium crash a16 fast crash and a 19 I can’t stop I’m so Obsessed lol
You think your obsessed now? Stick around here for awhile and you’ll find out what obsessed is! :icon_lol:

Welcome to the forums Jimmy! Great name!!!

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got a new stack! Meinl Artist Concept 18”/16” Fat Stack. This is the most expensive cymbal I’ve ever bought, but it‘s also the best sounding stack I’ve ever heard. It poos all over the 18” Meinl Classics Custom Dark Stack that it replaced. I’m happy :)

Brainofj

Reaction score
Added these two beauties to the set on NYE thanks to the nice folks over at Drum Center of Portsmouth

Positions have changed up since I took the pictures. Complex Thin 17" is now the crash that sits with the floor toms, HH thin 18" is up top on my right hand side. The HH really caught me off guard. The only way I can describe it is "buttery" I wasn't even considering a HH crash since normally I'm HHX/AAX but the tone and feel was unlike anything I've heard before.

The complex, what is there to say that already hasn't been said about this line. Way brighter tone than a lot of the HHXs out there but it shines. Beautiful piece of metal.

marc3k

Reaction score
IMG_2785.JPG
IMG_2786.JPG

Agop 30th Anniversary 15" Hi-hats. 906g / 1083g
Finally found a used pair after looking for quite some time. Really nice hats! I used to play 15" Agop OM (1031g / 1166g) before - the 30th are lower pitched than the OMs!
The bottom hat is slightly larger than the top - which affects the "chick" - however when tilting it slightly it sounds great.

Quai34

Reaction score
Paiste Dark Crisp 13's.
Good price, structurally perfect, snd i still have polish if I ever wanna sell em.
The top is nearly half thecweight as the tops View attachment 477344 View attachment 477345 View attachment 477346 View attachment 477347
I just "discovered" well discovered in a way that it's my first 2 Paiste but of course, when I was in France, Paiste was everywhere in the Stores, so, just discovered how nice the work on this dark serie is, it's gorgeous and in these hats, whooo, fantastic, I love it...I have only one dark crash and one sound factory Paiste but the signature traditional and then dark, maybe the marketers are the ones that talk to me, not a fan of the 2002...

Quai34

Reaction score
First cymbal set I've eve bought, also first meinls I've ever played and I love everything about them! Before I played a sabian 21" hh raw bell dry ride which definitely has its place in my collection but the 20" meinl sand ride is just so versatile in comparison, really really great cymbal. For my next I'm looking for a 22" Paiste masters dark crash ride! But I'm tossing and turning between buying that & a ludwig acrolite snare drum ! View attachment 477892
Is it the Benny Greg set that you got? I was close to buy it but found a super price on the sand hats so, started with that. But the Sand ride seems to be great too. Well, the Byzance vintage crash trash was my next purchase on my list but found a Matt GARSKA Equilibrium china 20" so, I hesitated a lot because I was loving both but decided that a used china Equilibrium would be tougher in the future to find than the trash crash...

Quai34

Reaction score
Just bought a bucket list cymbal, or should I say, cymbals: a pair of 14” Paiste Sound Creation Dark Medium Sound Edge hi hats. They even have the original Paiste box. I’ve wanted these since I was a kid.
Whooo, pictures please!!

Quai34

Reaction score
I received this beautiful 22” Sabian Artisan Light ride as a gift today . A truly beautiful cymbal . I had already owned the 20” version and this will go well with it .
I have the 20", it's a really "strong" cymbal, so ROAR... I had to put it close to the Meinl ultra light hammered crash tough so pair it better, it's not a "universal" Cymbal, at least for me.??I heard the 22 was more soft/versatile tough...

Cannons

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My four most recent purchases complete my Paiste B20 set: 20” Masters Dark Crisp Ride, 20” Masters Thin, 20” Formula 602 Paperthin, and 14” Sound Creation Dark Medium Sound Edge Hi Hats. Paiste Heaven!

Attachments

Quai34

Reaction score
Added these two beauties to the set on NYE thanks to the nice folks over at Drum Center of Portsmouth

Positions have changed up since I took the pictures. Complex Thin 17" is now the crash that sits with the floor toms, HH thin 18" is up top on my right hand side. The HH really caught me off guard. The only way I can describe it is "buttery" I wasn't even considering a HH crash since normally I'm HHX/AAX but the tone and feel was unlike anything I've heard before.

The complex, what is there to say that already hasn't been said about this line. Way brighter tone than a lot of the HHXs out there but it shines. Beautiful piece of metal.
I love the complex cymbal line, I wanted twice to buy one but the size I was looking for, 16" and 18" needed to glue all with my 16" artisan and the 18" AAX Xplosion fast crash he they were really out of line, ditto with the two Meinl, dark 17" and traditional 19"... But on of my friend proposed a pack to sell on Kijiji with a complex and an HH and it was perfect...but I don't have any HH...So, I bought 2 Paiste instead, I need some brighter cymbals in my collection...

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My four most recent purchases complete my Paiste B20 set: 20” Masters Dark Crisp Ride, 20” Masters Thin, 20” Formula 602 Paperthin, and 14” Sound Creation Dark Medium Sound Edge Hi Hats. Paiste Heaven!
Excellent choice on the ride ;). I just received mine in the mail today. Got it used off Reverb for a great price. I also bought a used pair of Sig Traditional Medium Light hats to go with it. It’s my first dedicated jazz/practice setup.

EDIT
Wow I’m dumb. I didn’t even realize this is a Twenty Masters and not a standard Masters. I Bought it as a standard Masters. No wonder it sounded slightly different than I expected lol. Hopefully I didn’t overpay.

Last edited:

Quai34

Reaction score
Just got a new stack! Meinl Artist Concept 18”/16” Fat Stack. This is the most expensive cymbal I’ve ever bought, but it‘s also the best sounding stack I’ve ever heard. It poos all over the 18” Meinl Classics Custom Dark Stack that it replaced. I’m happy :)

I do wanted like hell to buy one of their 4 Artist stacks but:
1) the price was too steep for me
2) I could never decide which one I would prefer
Then I went with two stacks from Sabian, way cheaper, Mini Monster and Sizzler.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do wanted like hell to buy one of their 4 Artist attacks but:
1) the price was too steep for me
2) I could never decide which one I would prefer
Then I went with two stacks from Sabian, way cheaper, Mini Monster and Sizzler.
Yeah the price sucks. Luckily my $600 stimulus check covered the bill. :)

Row

Reaction score
Excellent choice on the ride ;). I just received mine in the mail today. Got it used off Reverb for a great price. I also bought a used pair of Sig Traditional Medium Light hats to go with it. It’s my first dedicated jazz/practice setup.

EDIT
Wow I’m dumb. I didn’t even realize this is a Twenty Masters and not a standard Masters. I Bought it as a standard Masters. No wonder it sounded slightly different than I expected lol. Hopefully I didn’t overpay.
Pretty sure it's the same cymbal. Masters was called twenty masters previously, just a rebrand.