header.nohb.html

Your Least coveted snares

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Brass snare thread quickly produced dream snare after dream snare.

Got me thinking..

What snare(s) do you own that aren’t collectible, valuable, prized, etc., yet still, there they are in your music space either with a beater kit or riding a shelf?

I have a couple.
Steel Slingerland that I rescued from a pawn shop for a few dollars just because I didn’t want to leave it there.
And a Pearl steel snare I bought because it was almost as old as my original snare (but not the same as it has a newer sticker type logo).
Thought I would buy it and see if it reminded me of my first real snare drum. It didn’t. But I haven’t gotten rid of it yet and it’s been a few years now.
I will let these go whenever the opportunity arises as I have no connection with them. But haven’t made any effort to do so as they are hardly worth ebaying or reverb.

Whatcha got?
Does it have a story?
C190EA58-705B-49D4-94E4-B099C5CE7F97.jpeg
7C85AADC-2126-4EA5-A110-5D8070E4FB19.jpeg

katulu

Reaction score
I have several snares that would probably not be "sought after" - although I'm pretty sure I could get some fair cash for some.

My walnut custom stave, my 15x5 mahogany, my titanium Trick shell build, and my pine snare are all no-names - and yet, they all have very distinct, beautiful sounds. The walnut is quite loud, the 15x5 has a fantastic "megapiccolo" sound, the Titanium is clean and elegant, and the pine has an "old school" throaty sound. I like them all.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
60s Ludwig Pioneer. Could be the six lugs, could be the wood. I tend to not like wood snares much, with the notable exception of my rosewood drum.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a tough one - I like all my snares a lot . I guess if I absolutely had to pick one snare it would be my Tama Peter Erskine Jazz series snare . It is my least expensive but I really like it , so it isn’t going anywhere .

I had a Sonor AQ2 steel shell snare that I used with mesh heads and a trigger for home practice but took it to Murat’s shop to sell .

Last edited:

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Brass snare thread quickly produced dream snare after dream snare.

Got me thinking..

What snare(s) do you own that aren’t collectible, valuable, prized, etc., yet still, there they are in your music space either with a beater kit or riding a shelf?

I have a couple.
Steel Slingerland that I rescued from a pawn shop for a few dollars just because I didn’t want to leave it there.
And a Pearl steel snare I bought because it was almost as old as my original snare (but not the same as it has a newer sticker type logo).
Thought I would buy it and see if it reminded me of my first real snare drum. It didn’t. But I haven’t gotten rid of it yet and it’s been a few years now.
I will let these go whenever the opportunity arises as I have no connection with them. But haven’t made any effort to do so as they are hardly worth ebaying or reverb.

Whatcha got?
Does it have a story?
View attachment 566792 View attachment 566793
I thought the 3-line Slingerlands were COB?

And that is because one of my “cheap” snare is a Slingerland Festival (steel) that I bought because I liked the sound. I paid more than I should, because I though it was COB. No lines = steel. Still a great sounding snare.

I also just put a new head on the Stage Custom snare that came with the kit I bought in December. Today was the first day I even played it!! It sound really nice with the Genera HD Dry Head.

audiochurch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A wood Pearl Export. Is super light, and i use it as my marching snare. But I love how it sounds and plays!

Last edited:

plumbndrum

Reaction score
I have one of those $99 Pork Pie Little Squealer 6x13 Nyatoh snares. I believe they were a Black Friday deal. I’m sure these aren’t on anyones bucket list. But it might just be the best hundred bucks I ever spent.