Your Least coveted snares

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a Yamaha steel and a mapex steel piccollo got in trades.
I'm not a steel guy so they sit.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Slingerland steel Festival that lives on my studio set that students play. It always sounds good and is pretty mellow (very old batter head has something to do with that). Got it cheap and no use to sell it because it isn’t worth much.

Also have a black galaxy Acrolite that no one seems to want right now.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's weird. At 52 years old and playing drums for over 40 years now; I've only just recently discovered that I love 8 lug snares. Something about there being less tension between the lugs feels better on my hands.

So this all original chrome over aluminum Ludwig Standard with P-83 has moved into the #1 slot. My other Ludwig Standard that kind of has an anodized shell in on the practice kit. And the 1980's Ludwig Supraphonic LM400 (10 lug) has been riding the bench.

123.jpg

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you're talking about least coveted by others, probably my much modified Ludwig 8x14 wood snare. It's my rock and roll drum, but likely wouldn't impress other drummers.

For me, the one I'd part with most quickly is a '65 5x14 Rogers Powertone. Of my four remaining snares it's the least likely to get pulled out for a gig, and basically lives in its bag.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like others have said, if I have a drum not being played it goes away. Well, not exactly true. I did restore my very first snare so I will keep it, but it sounds AWFUL and truly unplayable. It was custom built in the 60's with hand laid fiberglass and MIJ "kinda" Slingerland hardware. And I'm pretty sure it sucked then to! I sold the kit when I was 16 to pay for the sales tax on my first "pro" kit and wound up with it again many years later so I will keep it this time, but it's a personal museum piece to me now!

DSC06082.JPG

TrickRoll

Reaction score
I find that I can get a workable sound out of most snare drums. Once upon a time I had a REALLY cheap import snare drum. Terrible drum. So I coated the inside with fiberglass. End result was a decent snare that I used for pit work for years.

With that, I don't really use my metal [Inde and Gretsch] drums on gigs. Also sold a Rogers Dynastic for the same reason.

I like the woodies.

TorchmanRG

Reaction score
This might surprise some, but my 5x14 hammered bronze Supra pretty much lives on the bench. Drum sounds good (not great) but the stick feel on the drum is terrible - very spongey. Tried a few different heads, but that spongey feels remains. I had high hopes for this drum but it just doesn't play well, so it lives on the shelf until I get around to selling it.

Dzdrum

Reaction score
I have a Maxwin snare that is in almost new condition from the late 1970’s. It sit with all my other snares - that I like! I rescued this drum from a thrift store.

Attachments

• 308D09E4-A82F-494C-8A0F-C30F4E8B12FE.jpeg
    308D09E4-A82F-494C-8A0F-C30F4E8B12FE.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 4

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
Most people on the internet would scoff at my good snares :icon_lol:

I have a random steel (smooth, chrome) Pearl shell, probably Export, that I'm going to put some fancier hardware on for a kit I'm putting together once I find a 16" shell that I can work with.

I also have a 14x8" maple Mapex MPX that's nothing special, but I like it and the finish matches my full set.

Jhouse86

Reaction score
Tama slp walnut. It's a decent snare, but pretty underwhelming compared to the others. I should get rid if it, as it just sits in a case.

trashman

Reaction score
I own a total of seven snare drums, and these two would be, by no small margin, the least coveted.

1. Yamaha early 1970s 5.5x14". In addition to it missing its badge, I've done several modifications to it over the years; having the bearing edges re-done, removing the original Yamaha strainer/butt (because they were broken and missing parts), and installing a Ludwig strainer/but on different panels than the originals were on. The terrible job I did of plugging the holes when I was a young teenager remain, in all of their terrible glory.

2. Pearl 5.5x14" SensiTone Steel. I bought this thing brand new for less than $100.

The thing is, both of these drums sound excellent. I've played a ton of gigs with both of them.
I've sold other snare drums for 10-20 times, or more, what I could ever dream to sell either of these for, but I can't reasonably say that these sound even half as inferior as those drums did.

least-coveted-snares.jpg

Fingerz

Reaction score
I have an aluminum Slingerland student model..I bought it because it was inexpensive at the time and I didn't have any Slingerland stuff..maybe I haven't given it a proper chance yet..
I did a fair a.ount of research on aluminum snares and own an acrolyte and pearl sensitone aluminum. But I would not go near a Slingy based on their poor workmanship; many users claimng repeated broken heads as the bearing edge is so sharp. Yeah I'll pass.

Fingerz

Reaction score
My Chad Smith Peal is a great sounding snare for a metal drum but for just about the same bread the supralite is better sounding so the pearl goes to the bottom of my list.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
This might surprise some, but my 5x14 hammered bronze Supra pretty much lives on the bench. Drum sounds good (not great) but the stick feel on the drum is terrible - very spongey. Tried a few different heads, but that spongey feels remains. I had high hopes for this drum but it just doesn't play well, so it lives on the shelf
Had the same underwhelming experience and sold mine. I actually kept a bronze Pearl Sensitone that plays much better.

Curious

Reaction score
I have several different types of steel and wood snares and wood piccolo snares. My biggest problem is letting go of any of them. My least favorite is a Pearl Forum Maple.
I've just recently finished building a Hammered Brass 5x14 World Max snare in all brass hardware that sounds fantastic. It has become my go to favorite. I can't get enough of that wonderful Black Beauty sound.

Attachments

• IMG_20220622_122311199.jpg
    IMG_20220622_122311199.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 5

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a fair a.ount of research on aluminum snares and own an acrolyte and pearl sensitone aluminum. But I would not go near a Slingy based on their poor workmanship; many users claimng repeated broken heads as the bearing edge is so sharp. Yeah I'll pass.
I’m going to try and move it with my next snare purchase. Poor thing. Looks at me playing the other snares night after night. It’s cruel. :p

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
The Brass snare thread quickly produced dream snare after dream snare.

Got me thinking..

What snare(s) do you own that aren’t collectible, valuable, prized, etc., yet still, there they are in your music space either with a beater kit or riding a shelf?

I have a couple.
Steel Slingerland that I rescued from a pawn shop for a few dollars just because I didn’t want to leave it there.
And a Pearl steel snare I bought because it was almost as old as my original snare (but not the same as it has a newer sticker type logo).
Thought I would buy it and see if it reminded me of my first real snare drum. It didn’t. But I haven’t gotten rid of it yet and it’s been a few years now.
I will let these go whenever the opportunity arises as I have no connection with them. But haven’t made any effort to do so as they are hardly worth ebaying or reverb.

Whatcha got?
Does it have a story?
View attachment 566792 View attachment 566793
Are you trying to sell that Slingerland? What throw is on it if you are?