Your most impulsive drum related purchase

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1. In the early 70's I was on a gig in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and ran across a used Zildjian tam-tam in a music store. It was cheap, and it was the 70's. A few years later I fabricated a stand from mic stand weights and Atlas cymbal stands, and played it with my hard rock band. When I started playing again I bought a real stand for it, and have used it on gigs twice in the last 18 years.

2. Late 70's gig with the aforementioned rock band on the road in Oklahoma when I found an 18" china in a hock shop. It was cheap, and I'm a Cobham fan. My band hated it, and I loved it, and broke it withing a couple of years. Made me very sad.

3. Late one night about a decade ago, while in an intoxicated state I bought an 18" Zildjian China Trash on ebay for cheap. If I had looked at the pictures more closely I'd have realized that it was cheap because it had two repaired cracks, with chunks out of the cymbal. I hid it from myself for several years, ashamed of my stupidity. 5-6 years on I was playing in a church band and decided to donate a china to the church (mainly so I could play it with the group), and took that cymbal and an 18" Wuhan to rehearsal, where I alternated between them on the songs of the day and let the band vote. They picked the cut up Zildjian, and they were right. It eventually cracked again, but it sang for a good while.

I've been lucky with impulse buys, I guess. I usually err when I put a lot of thought into a purchase. Maybe that's a clue. B)

Iristone

Reaction score
A Premier 2000 still on the way. HUGE 67% holiday discount, $200 total, half of which is the international shipping. And I'm thinking of impulse buying a Rokton electronic drum kit right now. :bom:

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A Premier 2000 still on the way. HUGE 67% holiday discount, $200 total, half of which is the international shipping. And I'm thinking of impulse buying a Rokton electronic drum kit right now. :bom:
Drink three beers and make your final decision to buy them.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This was probably my best non-sober impulse buy. Black nickel over brass Sensitone Elite. Really solid drum for a great price on Reverb.

20200103_003727.jpg

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
99 dollar OCDP 6,5 snare

99 dollar Ludwig Epic 6.5 snare

Meinl Generation X Safari crash

Gibraltar Catapult Pedal

Bought 'em all on impulse - and regretted every one.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I had a Ludwig Epic snare that I sold for that to a guy who just wanted the hardware for a project. It was a nice sounding snare.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My most recent being 4 new Zildjian cymbals. I purchased a 19" K prototype, a 20" K Con prototype and 19/20 A thin crashes. I was searching for sounds for home and cover gig and all of these combined hit the spot.......for now. Hahaha!

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
8" Sabian AA splash.

I normally don't like 8" splashes. They just don't have as much presence from the kit like a 10". 10"s are my favorite. But I was passing through a small music store in Evansville Indiana and just happened to hit this one for fun and LOVED IT.

It's been more on than off my kit since I bought it and used in all kinds of effects besides just splashing. Love using it for "non-traditional" uses like stackers. My favorite use is laying it on my piccolo snare and getting a weird effect from the snare when hitting it.

Oh, yeah....I was sober at the time.

Iristone

Reaction score
I had a Ludwig Epic snare that I sold for that to a guy who just wanted the hardware for a project. It was a nice sounding snare.
Impulse selling? :laughing5:
I wonder if the guy has found a good home for the shell. It would be a pity for a nice sounding shell to end up otherwise.

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
Years ago I changed out the lugs on my Yamaha Stage Custom. It originally had the black plastic nouveau lugs but I didn’t like them so I got nice seeming brass round lugs. It was cool for awhile and then I started playing guitar in bands for a few years and the drums just sat in cases. Then I started a band on drums and the brass lugs just looked corny and they were super heavy. So I sold the kit and bought a used Adonis kit on impulse. It sounded good at the guys house and it wasn’t very expensive but after getting it home i was left with an even worse kit with a terrible finish and the shells were so outrageously thin it was unreal. I was pretty upset with myself.

Buddy Roach

Reaction score
A Peavey Radial Pro 1000 kit.

I went in for sticks. I saw the drums, played them, thought they looked odd but loved the sound, and then bought them.

Took them to a gig a month later, hated their bulkiness, hated their look, and the sound I loved in the store... I didn't love on the gig.

Listed on Ebay the next day and I bought a used Tama Granstar in cherry rose....that is now long gone.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
99 dollar OCDP 6,5 snare

99 dollar Ludwig Epic 6.5 snare

Meinl Generation X Safari crash

Gibraltar Catapult Pedal

Bought 'em all on impulse - and regretted every one.

Catapult pedal . Not you, Steven ?

I went to check out some Milestone orphans listed on KIJI last fall and came home with two complete 70's Pearl Fiberglass kits - eleven pieces in all . Not my most sensible purchase .

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Catapult pedal . Not you, Steven ?

I went to check out some Milestone orphans listed on KIJI last fall and came home with two complete 70's Pearl Fiberglass kits - eleven pieces in all . Not my most sensible purchase .
Now that's an impulse buy!

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
2 in a weeks time. Not eBay or Amazon.

1st one. Heading to a gig last Friday, I was running early. While driving into Baltimore I remembered that I forgot my towels to dampen the kick. I stopped at a thrift store next to a GC that was along route to gig. I got the towels and legged it over to GC to get some Moongels. While I am waiting my turn the GC drum guy is working with a guy trying to unload a monster of a 70's stamp 24" Avedis Zildjian ride cymbal. Subconsciously I've been looking for another ride cymbal, not really a 24" though. So I had a few minutes to kill and asked him how much he wanted for it, since he was getting no where with the GC guy. He said 100 dollars. I asked the GC guy if I could put it on a stand and play it with a kit. He agreed, I played it and I gave the guy his 100 bucks. It clocks in a 3629 grams. Played it last night at BP with the blues band, reviews all good. It cuts thru loud guitars and crashes not half bad. The bell will wake the dead. 100 bucks well spent and now I am going to rivet it.

2nd one. Was working last Saturday and on the way home from a job site in DC, stopped in at my favorite used gear bazaar, Atomic Music, to check the latest used cymbal inventory (it constantly changes) and stuck amongst the used stands was a DW5520-2 Double Bass/Hi-Hat combo stand. In near perfect condition. Bought for half of what a new one cost. I didn't walk out with it, but I gave them 100 bucks to hold on to it for 30 days in case I change my mind. I'll probably pick it up well before the 30 days. I wasn't looking for one, I didn't even know it existed, but it is one of those MAN I GOT TO HAVE THIS! purchases.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
2 in a weeks time. Not eBay or Amazon.

1st one. Heading to a gig last Friday, I was running early. While driving into Baltimore I remembered that I forgot my towels to dampen the kick. I stopped at a thrift store next to a GC that was along route to gig. I got the towels and legged it over to GC to get some Moongels. While I am waiting my turn the GC drum guy is working with a guy trying to unload a monster of a 70's stamp 24" Avedis Zildjian ride cymbal. Subconsciously I've been looking for another ride cymbal, not really a 24" though. So I had a few minutes to kill and asked him how much he wanted for it, since he was getting no where with the GC guy. He said 100 dollars. I asked the GC guy if I could put it on a stand and play it with a kit. He agreed, I played it and I gave the guy his 100 bucks. It clocks in a 3629 grams. Played it last night at BP with the blues band, reviews all good. It cuts thru loud guitars and crashes not half bad. The bell will wake the dead. 100 bucks well spent and now I am going to rivet it.

2nd one. Was working last Saturday and on the way home from a job site in DC, stopped in at my favorite used gear bazaar, Atomic Music, to check the latest used cymbal inventory (it constantly changes) and stuck amongst the used stands was a DW5520-2 Double Bass/Hi-Hat combo stand. In near perfect condition. Bought for half of what a new one cost. I didn't walk out with it, but I gave them 100 bucks to hold on to it for 30 days in case I change my mind. I'll probably pick it up well before the 30 days. I wasn't looking for one, I didn't even know it existed, but it is one of those MAN I GOT TO HAVE THIS! purchases.
That era A Zildjian rides are great for live use. They sound nice and cut really well unlike some more modern fancier cymbals. Real workhorse kind of stuff.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That era A Zildjian rides are great for live use. They sound nice and cut really well unlike some more modern fancier cymbals. Real workhorse kind of stuff.
It must be. There is a grommet on the hole to prevent keyholing under its own 8lb heft. I'm gonna have to get some extra large felts for this bad boy and a new bag too. Always with the secondary consequences and cost associated with impulse buys. LOL.