Your opinion of NICKELBACK

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
They are disliked because they are almost a parody of alternative rock.They are incredibly boring, ordinary, and lack originality. But, I'm not aware of any controversy that would make hating Nickelback a prototype of cancel culture. Again, I'm not aware of the band, or a member, doing something to draw ire and a call to boycott, or cancel. Cancel culture refers to blacklisting a person because of an offense, like Louis CK or Kevin Spacey, and not letting them return to their previous social and career positions.
Technically, yes, you've described cancel culture. I made sure to prefix it with 'prototype' because I realize hating something doesn't quite fit the definition. But I do think cancel culture evolved from a general meme hate that spreads like a crowd wave through social media where dislike or some form of negativity for someone or some thing for some reason compels people to join that opinion and make it known. It's tangentially tied to shaming, trolling, virtue signaling and whatever other wonderful behavioral tribal traits run amok on the internet.

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
Modern day version of a 80’s hair band that got overplayed and wore out. I’ve seen them live 4 times, it’s a good time, kinda like my ex wife, overplayed and wore out, lol

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
They sold lots of CDs. Sound like Pearl Jam, only more of a sell-out type of band than Pearl Jam. Honestly my opinion isn't very well-informed, other than a few occasional accidental hearings on the car radio. Why do you ask?

Ox Han

Reaction score
Technically, yes, you've described cancel culture. I made sure to prefix it with 'prototype' because I realize hating something doesn't quite fit the definition. But I do think cancel culture evolved from a general meme hate that spreads like a crowd wave through social media where dislike or some form of negativity for someone or some thing for some reason compels people to join that opinion and make it known. It's tangentially tied to shaming, trolling, virtue signaling and whatever other wonderful behavioral tribal traits run amok on the internet.
I think you're confusing mob mentality and bullying with "cancel culture". There might be similarities at times, but cancel culture is directly tied to an act by an individual that earns the disapproval of a larger group, or the majority of society. I think it's obvious Nickelback have not been canceled as they are thriving. For every hater like us, they have 4 fans willing to buy albums, tickets, and tshirts.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I'm proud to say, I disliked Nickelback from the start based on what I saw as a lack of merit, not to be part of the in crowd. Nothing wrong with a strong opinion. A lot of people don't why there's 31 flavors of ice cream. Some of it (Rocky Road) is for idiots who lack a refined palate and probably shouldn't even be allowed to eat their poor choice of a flavor in the company of others.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Ya but we get along better, eh. :)
Oh, if I had three wishes, I might choose:
1. Canadian citizenship (but without the accent).
2. Change Canada’s weather — rolling back the hellish winters from six months to maybe two.
3. One billion Loonies!

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is off of their latest album. Thought it was pretty good.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh, if I had three wishes, I might choose:
1. Canadian citizenship (but without the accent).
2. Change Canada’s weather — rolling back the hellish winters from six months to maybe two.
3. One billion Loonies!
You don’t get the accent unless you farm, live on the East coast, or live up north. Our winters in Southern Ontario are pretty wimpy now.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I always liked them. Solid playing and songwriting IMHO...

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
View attachment 448794
The figures are calculated in USD! And if you want to base them in CAD, well that means that their $60 million CAD is actually $38.4 million USD.
I don't know but pretty much anyone can live pretty well with $38.4 million USD!
It's not quite that dire, $60M CAN / 1.36 = $44.1M US

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
One of the best things I did to grow as a musician and an artist was to realize that there is no bad genre

Respect
Apparently except Nickleback. I'm also in the not a fan, can't tell you a song they did, but truly do not understand the galvanizing hate they generate club. Also REALLY don't get people who hate them paying to go to their shows. Which apparently has happened a few times. Like if you don't like it, why subject yourself to that?

Ox Han

Reaction score
Apparently except Nickleback. I'm also in the not a fan, can't tell you a song they did, but truly do not understand the galvanizing hate they generate club. Also REALLY don't get people who hate them paying to go to their shows. Which apparently has happened a few times. Like if you don't like it, why subject yourself to that?
No bad GENRE. It’s all in the details

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They have some good tunes, many average tunes...Just like many bands. I became somewhat of a fan after I was dragged to a concert by my wife. The show they put on, the sound they create live, the professionalism ...I was very impressed. Adair is a monster rock drummer too. I do not quite understand the hate...Indifference, sure.
Happy Canada Day to fellow Canucks ! :)

RedeyeSPR

Reaction score
I think a lot of the hate for them stems from jealousy. They have a bunch of hit tunes, are very competent musicians, are all mostly good looking, and they are hugely rich. The singer was married to Avril Lavigne. The music is nothing special at all and pretty uninspired for the most part, but it's not awful. I don't really like the songs, but I won't hate on any musicians that find a successful formula and stick to it.

Latest posts