Your opinion of NICKELBACK

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is a certain style of male rock vocalization that I dislike and this is in that timbre. For me it blots out whatever quality there may be to the song craft or musicianship or production. I hear nothing compelling or interesting and rather than being taken somewhere with an emotion or intriguing thought, I get a flat affect that I find numbing.

This band may hold merit or value or sweet nostalgia for many, but listening to this sort of music is unhealthy for me.

Perhaps ask yourself this: What if a Nickelback song were the last piece of music you got to hear?

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1. A huge part of the problem with any of these corporate bands and the reason they are hated so is they have sterilized & killed something that was once rebellious be it Loverboy to Hendrix/Led Zeppelin or Hair Metal to Black Sabbath or Nickelback to Nirvana.

2. Regarding the comments about hip-hop, if you are dismissing an entire genre, you need to just admit you’re old & out of touch and not open minded. I’m not a fan of country, especially the new stuff, but I know Johnny Cash was a badass.

3. McDonald’s sells the most burgers, but it doesn’t justify them as being any good.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think a lot of the hate for them stems from jealousy. They have a bunch of hit tunes, are very competent musicians, are all mostly good looking, and they are hugely rich. The singer was married to Avril Lavigne. The music is nothing special at all and pretty uninspired for the most part, but it's not awful. I don't really like the songs, but I won't hate on any musicians that find a successful formula and stick to it.
You might be on to something. :)

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of the hate for them stems from jealousy. They have a bunch of hit tunes, are very competent musicians, are all mostly good looking, and they are hugely rich. The singer was married to Avril Lavigne. The music is nothing special at all and pretty uninspired for the most part, but it's not awful. I don't really like the songs, but I won't hate on any musicians that find a successful formula and stick to it.
There is definitely a level of jealousy for me. It’s like they have REFINED the art of suckiness. Somehow it comes EASY to them to be unoriginal, formulaic, and sing to the lowest common denominator. It’s a skill that no matter how hard I try, I CANNOT perfect to the level of d-baggery that they have! :D

Last edited:

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jealous of the amount of money they have? Who wouldn’t? Jealous of the sterile art they put out? I’m definitely not.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think it might just be Americans coming down hard on Canadian art. :(

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
MILFS love these guys.
what happened to the first guy in the drums?

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have respect for Nickelback but will admit they play some of the worst dreck I've ever heard.
Many years ago I met the lads at a mutual friends wedding as this friend was part of their management team and record company. I used to kid her about working for such a crappy band....but the biz side was spot on and focused. I was impressed with that.
They have always played the "music biz" game, and from the start had a strong "team" behind them that played the game the right way and their bank accounts prove it. That's what they wanted...plain and simple.
It's all calculated crap but hey folks welcome to the biz of corporate radio rock. Before they were anything except yet another band trying to get somewhere....they worked their asses off doing the stuff that most bands who want to "make it" never do....something simple like sending stuff to a radio station and following up with phone calls etc.....really working it.
They did their research, learned the formula, went with it and were extremely successful....good on them. It doesn't mean the toonage is any good but there are enough folks out there that think otherwise and so what.
If folks are jealous that's quite sad really....unless you want to be playing the same game/market they did...then I can see where someone may be jealous.
Otherwise who cares......they are just another band I (and others) personally don't care for and don't bother with....boy I could name some other bands who I don't care for and would be raked through the coals for mentioning them in this here place, as to me they are just as pathetic as Nickleback, but again played the "market" real good.
Why all the distain for Nickelback....I guess someone has to be the scapegoat for that formulated "rock", but hey they're laughing all the way to the bank....and like the great RnR icon Gene Simmons says that's all that matters. (To them anyway).
bt

Oh yeah about that huge upcoming tour that goes against steep ticket prices.....only $0.45 admission!!! What a double bill......
50cent and Nickleback.....

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I used to like one or two of their songs decades ago. At this stage though, I'd give you two nickels back not to hear them....

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
IMO they are just personality-free, more of the same rock that have been pop music for at least 2 decades. They don’t move me or get a passionate response so I will never purchase a ticket or download anything. If you like them great, but they don’t speak to me in any way shape or form. I just wrote this and already I have forgotten about them.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
IMO they are just personality-free, more of the same rock that have been pop music for at least 2 decades. They don’t move me or get a passionate response so I will never purchase a ticket or download anything. If you like them great, but they don’t speak to me in any way shape or form. I just wrote this and already I have forgotten about them.
No problem with that view-I haven’t even heard a full song by them (that I am aware if anyhow Lol).

I am so “not-a-fan” that I shouldn’t even know their name. But because of the hate I ‘discovered’ them! And (oops- Apologies to the Grammar Karens) as a casual observer of the “Nickelback Phenomenon” the amount of “hate” for them cracks me up Lol. I mean, there is A LOT of music I don‘t care for, but hate? Life is too short to carry around that burden lol...

*delete*

I started typing a bunch of other pop-formula bands...then thought better of it. Haha.