Your Opinion on Resonant Floor Tom Feet... Worth The Upgrade?

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After 30 years of playing suspended floor toms, I now have a small set with a 16X16" on traditional legs. I think it sounds HUGE and open (5 ply maple with 3 ply rings) and I am very pleased with it's sound. BUT I see aftermarket accessories that were simply not not available the last time I was playing a floor tom on legs.

So the questions is, do you have any experience with these type of leg accessories? None of them are expensive (around $20 delivered) and I'm willing to try one for fun if the consensus is that they really work. Do you have any experiences or opinions you can share on any of these products? I'm very interested to see if you feel their is a noticeably difference in the sound or overall performance of a drum using them.

I have listed three options that I found easily on eBay (all photos are from current listing) but you may know of others not listed here. Thanks for the insight, I look forward to any reply's.

Ward

Pearl R40/3
Tama MFLRT3
Booty Shakers

Attachments

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have used both the Gibraltar and the Pearl feet. Either is worth using, though I do like the Pearl a bit more. Gibraltar is a bit lower profile - perhaps a consideration if you leave the legs on in your storage case.

The foam pieces might work well, but felt they might not stay on or wear as well as my other feet.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Are you kidding?
Once you try these you'll never play another floor tom without them.
I have them installed on every floor tom I own.

I buy the Pearls and Gibraltars and highly recommend them.
I remember around 2005 a pack of R40s were $4...now they're priced at $15 but the Gibraltars work as well.

Anyway, the iso feet are one of the best & cheapest upgrades in tone available

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
ISO feet definitely work...you will hear the difference. They add even more by using them on 9.5mm (3/8") legs.

I only have experience with the Pearl R40s but have heard good things about the Gibraltars as well. Booty Shakers may work but I see too much potential for problems setting up and transporting your equipment.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
They do work. I'm not sure i need MORE sustain out of my floor toms though, i already use a bigger top/bottom interval on my 16/18 than i do mny 13.

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use the Gauger FlexTips on all my floor toms. They make a huge difference (positively) to me.

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Gibraltar feet are on every kit that I own.
They work just as well as R.I.M.S. for the rack toms. Which are also on every kit that I own.

The Gibraltar feet will fit 9.5, 10.5, and 12.7mm floor tom legs.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I use the Pearl ISO feet on everything but my Saturn floor toms, because they have factory ISO feet. I think adding sustain is a huge oversimplification of what these do. They really add the boom! They allow the drum to uncouple from the floor and allow the drum to sound like the drum. It's a must have for me.

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the Pearl and the Gibraltar feet. They fix dead floor tom syndrome (big sound when held by the hoop, dead on the floor) very well so they work as advertised. Haven't tried the Booty Shakers but I imagine they work just as well.

Note that if you already like the sound of your floor tom (when it's on the floor of course) then it may not be necessary. Some floor toms have this problem more than others.

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
swarfrat said:
They do work. I'm not sure i need MORE sustain out of my floor toms though, i already use a bigger top/bottom interval on my 16/18 than i do mny 13.
I would say it's not really just about head sustain but shell resonance and tone. My Ludwig Club Date SE 16" sounded just dead and papery without them. The iso feet definitely brought out the bigness of the drum.

You can dampen the head a little if there's too much sustain but the tone will still be there.

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
The Pearls work great I have them on a bunch of floor toms. it's easy enough to drill them out for 1/2" legs if needed.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use the Gibraltar feet on my 16x16 1970 Ludwig FT. The Pearl feet are too big to fit easily in a tom bag with the legs attached. Neither one makes a huge difference for me. Maybe the combination of 9.5mm legs and old-school Ludwig eyebolt mounts don't need them as much.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
I think iso feet are the best dollars-to-doughnuts widget in drumland. They work so well as to obsolete hanging floor tom systems entirely.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OH MY YES.

Use them, any of them. I installed three ATLAS mounts on my 16x16 and it made improvements, But you want believe how much difference foam will do for you.

STORY:

I already had a roll of a Campers Bed Roll insulator foam mat I purchased from Wal-Mart and cut it up for dividers to separate my cymbals in the cymbal bag. After installing the ATLAS mounts I found that the Pearl Air Feet wouldn't fit the new 12.7 mm legs. So, in a hurry prior to a gig I cut three small triangles of the foam pad and went to the gig.

After setting up that night the bass player asked; what are those blue things on the floor. I picked up the tom and set it on the floor, hit it with my finger and it went BooM; I put it back on the foam, hit it with my finger and it went BOOOOM! A big difference and the bass player was impressed. Still using them almost a year now I believe. I store them in the bass drum pedal case.

I think the the roll pad was just under $10.00.

sherm

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use the iso on my ludwig bass spurs as well as the FT. They get it up off the floor and seem to open up the sound a tad.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The problem I have using them is if I hit my floor tom too late at night it rings until like 2am.... I have to manually make sure I put a towel on it before I go to bed just so we can sleep...

(sarc/off)

I must be one of the lucky ones. Neither my Rogers or my Tama floor toms have ever sounded even close to "dead". Suckers will ring forever with a coated ambassador on them.

Still, I may give these a try just to see what all the hub-bub is about Bub.

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fat Drummer said:
a 16X16" on traditional legs. I think it sounds HUGE and open (5 ply maple with 3 ply rings) and I am very pleased with it's sound.
If it sounds good, why change anything? You probably know how a tom can sound by now, with the suspension mounts you used to use.
I don't need a very long decay from my toms, it should just be even. Some floors have long enough decay without iso feet. Could it be longer with them? Yes. Would it be sonically superior? Not so sure.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've used the Pearl feet for years, they work very well and like you've already noticed they're pretty inexpensive. Little "gadget-y" stuff that actually works!

Latest posts