header.nohb.html

Your personal gig dress code

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I’m usually playing bar gigs of the classic rock cover band variety. My usual go to is black shoes or black Vans, black or blue jeans and a black shirt or black T-shirt and it’s getting a little stale. What’s your go to wardrobe for gigs when a dress code isn’t given to you? I have some upcoming gigs that are more high profile and want to switch it up a bit.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1669343975485.jpeg

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I like to find a shirt that is a bit different than ordinary street clothes. I'm always finding shirts in thrift stores that I think would be a cool "gig shirt". I seldom actually get to wear them though. The other two guys in my current band only seem to own jeans and T shirts so that's what I wear as well lest I stand out like a sore thumb.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually jeans and a black t shirt, or a plain black western shirt.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It depends on the requirements of the specific gig. I don't personally have "a look," nor am I interested in having one.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I don't find it effective to dress like any customer in the bar, blending in as one of the punters. But while I think gig clothing should be elevated, I certainly don't think ridiculous showbusiness flash is useful either.

Any function you go to, think how the hosts or sponsors are dressed, versus the guests. I mean a public function, not somebody's house party. They're dressed appropriate to the setting, but they've upped their game because they own the event.

Likewise, when the audience catches sight of you in an off-moment before the show, they spot you immediately by your clothing. You're dressed to say, "That's right. I'm part of those who are taking responsibility for owning your experience tonight."

robthetimekeeper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m usually playing bar gigs of the classic rock cover band variety. My usual go to is black shoes or black Vans, black or blue jeans and a black shirt or black T-shirt and it’s getting a little stale. What’s your go to wardrobe for gigs when a dress code isn’t given to you? I have some upcoming gigs that are more high profile and want to switch it up a bit.
Black t-shirt, black shoes, and camo cargo shorts is the unofficial Florida metal head uniform.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Depends on the gig. Theater give, it’s usually black shirt, black pants. Summer and outside, it’s shorts and T-shirt. Whatever it takes to be comfortable.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I try to dress to show that yes, I'm part of your entertainment. I don't want to get ridiculous, but the entertainers should (usually) look different than the entertain-ees.

1669349234770.png

1669349305906.png

1669349360866.png

And some correspondingly funky pair of vans.

1669349710969.png

The other thing is that I'm usually wearing a Zildjian, Gretsch, or DW T-shirt and plain black Nikes during setup. I switch shirts and shoes right before we go on.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Usually at shirt and jeans or dickie shorts and t shirt as far as shoes usually an adidas boost or cloud it’s my favorite drum shoe. Use to be vans or chucks but my feet ache after wearing them. Adidas boost or cloud foam are amazing.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't find it effective to dress like any customer in the bar, blending in as one of the punters. But while I think gig clothing should be elevated, I certainly don't think ridiculous showbusiness flash is useful either.

Any function you go to, think how the hosts or sponsors are dressed, versus the guests. I mean a public function, not somebody's house party. They're dressed appropriate to the setting, but they've upped their game because they own the event.

Likewise, when the audience catches sight of you in an off-moment before the show, they spot you immediately by your clothing. You're dressed to say, "That's right. I'm part of those who are taking responsibility for owning your experience tonight."
That's kind of what I was driving at, something that makes people think "He must be in the band" before the show or during breaks. Nothing outlandish, no satin pants or anything, just something a minor cut above normal street attire. I do go for that in my jazz trio as those guys seem to do the same. In my previous band (Blues Brothers themed) we all wore black and/or white. Current rock band is as described above, overall kind of scuzzy looking actually.

In a previous band (back in the 1980s) we changed outfits for every set and for one had to wear Tuxedos....not cool James Bond type tuxes but truly ugly gray wedding style tuxes with a ruffled peach shirt (purchased used from a tux rental place). Just awful! The thing was they weren't intended to be funny or ironic in a "so bad it's good" sort of way, these guys actually picked this look because they thought it was a good combination. I hated every second I had to wear that stinky (dry clean only....um nope) thing. I refused to wear the jacket, claiming it impeded my playing too much. I'm a bit of a hoarder, tending to keep everything, but on the very day that band broke up I burned those clothes.

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ever since the owner of a large club told me that I needed to dress so when I'm mingling in the crowd, I don't look like an audience member, I began taking it to heart.

I'm generally understated in how I dress, so not too obnoxious or flashy, but I try to look like I'm not a patron at the establishments where I play.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tight shoes and nothing that's going to ride up my ass.

Short sleeves.