header.nohb.html

Your personal gig dress code

Tony_H

Reaction score
Not directed at you personally, honest. Just looking through the whole thread there are numerous reactions, and it's come up in the past too. I guess I'm just curious why the subject still provokes such a strong reaction as it's not something new. Didn't mean to single anyone out.
I think it stems from the very wide age range of the members here along with musical interests and how both of those along with social influences have shaped their development over the years. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion of course, but we get asked a very broad question "What do you wear when playing drums at a gig" and all of those different influences and opinions get dropped in the same thread.

From some of the posts here, there are people that would cringe seeing what I wear to a gig, but it's appropriate for the style of music I play, my comfort level, region that I live in etc... I would never be comfortable wearing say, a suit and tie or anything considered formal, but I have to read those responses and probably assume they don't play the same style(s) that I do. So I take it with a grain of salt and just chalk it up to a difference in style and opinion.

But I do agree, statements that start with "never", "don't do (whatever", and "how can ...." that are more directive than self reflective should just be dismissed, because I believe they are counterproductive in nature.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think it stems from the very wide age range of the members here along with musical interests and how both of those along with social influences have shaped their development over the years. There is nothing wrong with having an opinion of course, but we get asked a very broad question "What do you wear when playing drums at a gig" and all of those different influences and opinions get dropped in the same thread.

From some of the posts here, there are people that would cringe seeing what I wear to a gig, but it's appropriate for the style of music I play, my comfort level, region that I live in etc... I would never be comfortable wearing say, a suit and tie or anything considered formal, but I have to read those responses and probably assume they don't play the same style(s) that I do. So I take it with a grain of salt and just chalk it up to a difference in style and opinion.

But I do agree, statements that start with "never", "don't do (whatever", and "how can ...." that are more directive than self reflective should just be dismissed, because I believe they are counterproductive in nature.
Ppl be like: "Never wear a tee shirt or nobody will book your metal band at jazz clubs!"

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
For the record, I don't care if you have tats or nipple rings or whatever other metal objects are thrust into various extremities, do your thing.

I just find it socially unappealing when everyone does it. I recently in Vegas saw a group of kids, guys literally dressed completely the same. Same style shorts, shoes. That wow's me in a certain way, like go find an identity or something.

And yes, I guess in a way it is judgmental. I can admit that.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For the record, I don't care if you have tats or nipple rings or whatever other metal objects are thrust into various extremities, do your thing.

I just find it socially unappealing when everyone does it. I recently in Vegas saw a group of kids, guys literally dressed completely the same. Same style shorts, shoes. That wow's me in a certain way, like go find an identity or something.

Just like Harley Davidson branded clothes: the non-conformists' uniform.
There's a lot of that. Like black jeans and metal hoodies in 100 degree weather. Lots of people being unique in exactly the same way.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
peepul ax benny ' why u dress in black ?

RayB

Reaction score

We all have little habits, superstitious and rituals. We present an image of ourselves we feel comfortable with. I don't wear jeans on a gig, and after set-up and sound check, I change into a nice shirt. It's a little ritual that works for me. Some guys could care less about that. No matter what, the music is the thing.
I have a neighbor who always wears shorts, a tank top or t-shirt, with his belly hanging over. He'll throw on a hoodie when it gets cold. He also has a red Ford pickup he polishes every week, tires, too. You'll never see a spec of dirt on his truck, he's right on it. I dress neater than him but as long as my car is running well, I couldn't care less what it looks like. I guess I could say, "I'd never walk around dressed like that" and he could say, "I'd never drive a car that looks like that". But to each his own.

There's a saying you are what you eat .
There's also a saying you wear who you seem to be.
Therefore, if you eat what you wear, you are who you seem to be.

BoomBoom

Reaction score
ShaferBrothers Drumline Team Picture.jpg

RayB

Reaction score
I don't even own a suit which, come to think of it I need to get one.

For the longest time I wore suits and power ties to work. I'm a CFO and I stopped that 10 years or so ago. Now I wear jeans since my office is relaxed (not blue jeans though except for Fridays). I still wear a button work shirt though.
I still own a few suits, but as nice as they are, they're full cut and way out of fashion. Over the past few years, slim cut suits and pants are IN. Today when you see executives, athletes, celebrities, actors, news anchors, and yeah, musicians wearing a suit, it's slim cut. Some of the football players wearing these suits look like they're gonna explode out of them any second.
Slim ties or wide ties go in and out of style. The heck with that, I always bought ties I liked regardless. Suits cost $$$. Fortunately, I never have gigs or social situations anymore that call for a suit. I'm no slave to fashion, but I have enough ego to not want people to say, "Hey, look at the old guy in the baggy suit, lame!" On the other hand, after car payments and dental bills, I'd rather spring for a new cymbal instead of a suit.

DrummBumm89

Reaction score

Vegas is literally the place to dress goofy for a weekend and let loose. I wouldn't judge a generation by what they do in a tourist city. My dad wore Hawaiian shirts in Vegas frequently in the early 90's even if it was 110 degrees.

The big sin most people probably will think is dumb is I play barefoot.
I did compromise and played with dress socks in college when I played a kit.

It's amazing how many comments I've gotten about it. 95% are positive, 80% are women. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tony_H

Reaction score
Vegas is literally the place to dress goofy for a weekend and let loose. I wouldn't judge a generation by what they do in a tourist city. My dad wore Hawaiian shirts in Vegas frequently in the early 90's even if it was 110 degrees.

It's amazing how many comments I've gotten about it. 95% are positive, 80% are women. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I play barefoot at rehearsals, home practice, and outdoor summer gigs near the beaches when I'm wearing swim trunks and a light t-shirt. I just kick off my flip-flops and get at it.

No shame in riding bareback on the kit...:D

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

The guitarist doesn't play in gloves.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play barefoot at rehearsals, home practice, and outdoor summer gigs near the beaches when I'm wearing swim trunks and a light t-shirt. I just kick off my flip-flops and get at it.

No shame in riding bareback on the kit...:D
Except when you hit the restroom between sets.

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say keep it simple.

Attachments

• Nude_organist.JPG
    Nude_organist.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 6