header.nohb.html

Your personal gig dress code

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's kind of what I was driving at, something that makes people think "He must be in the band" before the show or during breaks.
I'm not sure what my incentive is to be recognizable when I'm not on stage. Am I supposed to want drunks to start telling me which stupid b-sides the band should be playing? Because in my experience that's what happens in breaks: a bunch of ridiculous management advice (kibbitzing) from close talkers sloshing beer on your shoes (BTW-a great justification for Crocs).

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over the years, my dresscode has changed.
The last gigs I played - shorts, Caribbean shirt, tennis shoes (that I take off at the drum throne as I play shoeless). Sometimes I would wear a ballcap.
That's pretty much how I dress every day ... so basically, I wear nothing special.

drumflyer

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeans and cowboy boots. T shirt or button down if it’s chilly outside.
Band wears red shirts on Friday for:
Remember
Everyone
Deployed

I get lots of stares when I wear this shirt:
F394A6BB-1985-4005-981C-B23F4398985D.jpeg

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The same as my band.
Singer/guitarist wears a black suit and the rest of us our latest dress code, now it's black shirt with white polka dots, red t-shirt, black jeans and Converse (any color).
The impact of a band dress code is important - if the music was all that mattered when playing live, the promoter could just use a dj, IMO.

Whitten

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm never the 'star' so I want to blend into the background. Very often it's a black shirt and black trousers (smartish). Never wear blue jeans unless it really is just a super relaxed, fun based band. If you want to appear professional try and look a little different from just walking in off the street.

premierplayer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Stage blacks mostly all indoor gigs.
Summertime outdoor gigs, Hawaiian shirt usually, sometimes shorts.
Then there a couple of events every year, coat and tie. It's kinda' fun actually.

Tony_H

Reaction score
Jeans or shorts + tshirt. As long as it's comfortable I don't pay much attention to what I wear. We are a pop-rock cover band and most of the time I slither away from people during breaks and let our overly outgoing lead singer work her charm with the crowd.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
When I was performing in assisted living facilities it was black slacks and black polo shirts. When we played wine bars and hotels it was suits, and when it was a themed event, dress attire in appropriate colors (green for St. Paddy's day, red for xmas or Valentines, etc.)

In my current bar band it's jeans and a t-shirt with the band's logo. And even then we are still dressier than the patrons :)

Mayan

Reaction score
I’m usually playing bar gigs of the classic rock cover band variety. My usual go to is black shoes or black Vans, black or blue jeans and a black shirt or black T-shirt and it’s getting a little stale. What’s your go to wardrobe for gigs when a dress code isn’t given to you? I have some upcoming gigs that are more high profile and want to switch it up a bit.
This look you describe doesn’t get stale. Ask Georgio Armani. He is considered an expert on this. :)

1669383360028.jpeg
1669383427298.jpeg

1669383482099.jpeg

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm not sure what my incentive is to be recognizable when I'm not on stage. Am I supposed to want drunks to start telling me which stupid b-sides the band should be playing? Because in my experience that's what happens in breaks: a bunch of ridiculous management advice (kibbitzing) from close talkers sloshing beer on your shoes (BTW-a great justification for Crocs).

Those folks always seem to find me anyway, regardless of how I'm dressed...might as well look sharp.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A big +1 to No Shorts, especially cargo shorts.
Looking like Dad at the barbecue who decided to strap on a guitar and jump in for a song is just a terrible look from the stage.

I have always believed in looking like you are in the band, rather than another member of the audience.
Yet I still struggle to find something that works for me beyond a form fitting black t-shirt, my go-to.

So I am glued to this thread for some ideas.
Caveat, I play in a country band at medium sized venues with an artist that is the main draw (not we in the band).

Open to any suggestions.
1FC0A3FB-28F2-4BCA-84EE-9C8C6F20E9DC.jpeg

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I gig with the band in which I am a volunteer instructor, we have a group black t-shirt with our logo that everybody wears. I can wear shorts cuz most gigs are daytime and or outdoors, and I wear sandals because I kick them off and play barefoot. Sometimes I wear a goofy cap or hat as well since nobody is looking at what I'm wearing because it's all about the kids.

If I had my own gig, I'd be either in a Hawaiian shirt, or a bowling shirt, and likely khakis. When I sit in on jazz jams, I'm usually wearing a collared shirt and pants.