header.nohb.html

Your personal gig dress code

GretschMan61

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wear a variety of different attire for gigs . I atypically wear something like a bowling shirt and khakis ( I dislike blue jeans ) . For Bug Band gigs the usual black suit , white shirt and tie is the order of the day .
My favourite shoes are Vans slip ons ( usually black and white checkerboard pattern).
2FBA078A-728C-4646-B6FC-66622FB92C8C.jpeg
B053A8C6-D6AD-4F8C-AE87-42B42D9FA507.jpeg
D5932C7E-8E47-4D71-BFB5-9B488D02FDD0.jpeg
1321154B-43CB-49D1-B6FA-D5B40639E694.jpeg
7E2E8606-257C-48E6-B1D6-8891958CD3B2.jpeg
38CDF836-CD02-4A3F-8D1C-555B8973791C.jpeg
4F67C7D0-39E4-492A-B867-39E75C52B7EE.jpeg

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Typical for me is black jeans, black shoes, and some kind of colored casual button-down shirt. If the gig is a little more casual I’ll switch to a Hawaiian/floral print or other casual short sleeve button-down shirt. If it’s dressier gig, the clothes get dressier. The nature of the gig dictates the uniform, but you’ll never see me on stage looking ragged.
Ya, I like looking tight onstage as well. However I have been known to look a little ragged on certain gigs ;)

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I never understood the fixation on formality. It's really a cultural meme.

Like if I'm wearing jeans and not slacks my integrity is impugned? So if Gadd can pose in shorts behind his kit does that make him substandard? What does what he's wearing have any bearing on his character or talents?

And I understand it's human nature but think outside the knee jerk reaction. If you don't know me at all and you are judging me purely or primarily on whether or not I'm wearing suit pants then I'm not sure I want to be associated with someone so superficial and shallow.

I don't mean that as harshly as it sounds so I hope you get the picture.

notINtheband

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Like if I'm wearing jeans and not slacks my integrity is impugned? So if Gadd can pose in shorts behind his kit does that make him substandard? What does what he's wearing have any bearing on his character or talents?

And I understand it's human nature but think outside the knee jerk reaction. If you don't know me at all and you are judging me purely or primarily on whether or not I'm wearing suit pants then I'm not sure I want to be associated with someone so superficial and shallow.

We can’t reason away first impressions. We can only adjust our takeaways as we get more info.If Motley Crue walks on stage in cargo shorts and t shirts, it isn’t the same experience.
Is Rush still Rush in modern clothes vs the kimonos?
Yes they are, but the kimonos are distracting to the overall experience.
Yes we are talking about one of the less important aspects of a live musical performance, but it does add (or subtract) from the experience.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Most people like costuming, pomp, and to-do. Maybe it's related or maybe it's not, but many people are drawn to drama in their lives in one way or another, whether they'll admit to it or not.

Hey, I wear a professor costume to work during the day, but I'll be damned if I'm going to wear a rock star costume to bar gigs just because some other dude's wearing $500 to play Margaritaville somewhere.

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
If I have to wear a tux or suit my minimum is $650 wink wink and even that would be a no go .
If I have to wear a tux it means that:
1. I'm getting paid more.
2. It's most likely to be a nice venue.
3. It's also likely to be over early.

There have been exceptions, but not many. Same is true for suits/sport coats mostly.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

If you don't know me at all and you are judging me purely or primarily on whether or not I'm wearing suit pants then I'm not sure I want to be associated with someone so superficial and shallow.
I own an Italian restaurant. I love Oscar Peterson. I have a grand piano in the corner. I want it played in the background Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday from 7-10pm. I'll pay a trio $600 cash per night. I want people to have a unique experience in my place. There's no dress code but I want the band to wear dark jackets or suits. Do you accept the gig? I did. It's since closed but you get the idea, we're not all Gadd.

Last edited:

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
Never shorts. Our trio played outside all summer when it was up to 104 F. I tried wearing shorts, but just didn't feel right. I take a fan to every gig, sometimes a big one, and find that packing up makes me sweat a lot more than playing.

What I wear depends on the gig, but I do think the band should try to dress at least one level better than the audience. For me it's partly respect for the audience, like dressing up for a job interview, and partly the desire to look good (and be visible) in public. I don't mind wearing formal or semiformal dress if the gig calls for it. Like I said in my above post, those gigs are usually premium.

I do have some colorful tees for rock gigs, and a bunch of dashikis I wear at times. Colorful and comfortable as well as attention getting.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most people like costuming, pomp, and to-do. Maybe it's related or maybe it's not, but many people are drawn to drama in their lives in one way or another, whether they'll admit to it or not.

Hey, I wear a professor costume to work during the day, but I'll be damned if I'm going to wear a rock star costume to bar gigs just because some other dude's wearing $500 to play Margaritaville somewhere.
I’m trying to figure out how “ drama “ is in play here ??

mebeatee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My “attire” (and the drum kit) is dependant on who I’m playing/working for...the only thing I don’t do is wear a suit/tie or tuck in my shirt....
Otherwise in a Gwar tribute act.....
Or at nudist colony social’s......
bt

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I own an Italian restaurant. I love Oscar Peterson. I have a grand piano in the corner. I want it played in the background Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday from 7-10pm. I'll pay a trio $600 cash each per night. I want people to have a unique experience in my place. There's no dress code but I want the band to wear dark jackets or suits. Do you accept the gig? I did. It's since closed but you get the idea, we're not all Gadd.
That I get, this kind of formality is part of the event design. Almost like a costume party and I don't mean that in a negative way.

ludwigmod72

Reaction score
My band has “ official band T-shirts” complete with our logo on front and lists the venues and dates on the back (Just like the Pros do lol) It’s great self promotion, makes us look like a band plus the crowds and vendors love when we toss a few out during our gigs. Simple investment that has paid off in the long run for us. Call me old fashioned but I think it’s counterproductive when guys are on stage wearing other rock bands T-shirts or look like any other person in the crowd. Again, it’s all about self-promotion, the venue and patrons are paying to see and hear YOU not somebody else.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
One of my side projects was a 60's garage rock (Animals, Ventures, etc) so we wore suits with skinny ties. Didn't bother me. Now with my main gig if I have to wear a suit it means $$$. Still won't wear shorts to a gig, no matter how hot it is. If it's a poolside gig I'll wear khakis and an Aloha shirt. I have two fans going all the time and I'm usually quite comfortable even when it hits 115+.