Your recommendation on snare wires?

Germandrummer

Reaction score
There are three snares waiting for some new wires and as I`m an absolute rookie please let me know your advice.

My 1970s Gretsch 4160 is currently equipped with old Sonor wires which are damaged and need to be replaced. I tried the original Ludwig wires from my almost new LM400 but didn`t get a satisfying result. I read the 4160 originally had 42 wires should I go for that? I try to develop sympathy for that snare but couldn`t get a nice tuning out of it yet.

My recently acquired 1964 Supraphonic came without snare wires so it would be a start from zero. I`m pleased with the actual Ludwig wires on my 2019 LM400 but would like to try something different.

No 3 is my latest project, a very shabby early 1970s Royal Star King Beat with dual strainer also without wires.

I`m excited to hear your advice.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Canopus chrome work great on all of my snares except for one with a very narrow snare bed. I only don't have them on all of them because they're expensive.
I do have a 42 strand Gibraltar on my 4160 (New Classic version), classic "sound in my head", but in general, they're a bit too much "wire" sound for my taste. I only ever got one set of them, and now they're just on that Gretsch drum.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ll echo what Seb said. The Canopus wires are just great. I get the Vic Firth version (still made by Canopus, but found cheaper usually).

Vic Firth Snare Drum Wire (VF20SNSW) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079SW5FZK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1c4bFb1PSWCEX

For the King Beat, you’re pretty limited. The ‘best’ bet (following new old stock vintage ones, which are RARE) are these replicas.

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s been frustrating finding wire for the 15” INDe snare I recently bought. There are Gibraltar 42s on it now, which I like, but a bit too buzzy.
Puresound 30 would be my choice, but they’re not available in 15”.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
There are three snares waiting for some new wires and as I`m an absolute rookie please let me know your advice.

My 1970s Gretsch 4160 is currently equipped with old Sonor wires which are damaged and need to be replaced. I tried the original Ludwig wires from my almost new LM400 but didn`t get a satisfying result. I read the 4160 originally had 42 wires should I go for that? I try to develop sympathy for that snare but couldn`t get a nice tuning out of it yet.

My recently acquired 1964 Supraphonic came without snare wires so it would be a start from zero. I`m pleased with the actual Ludwig wires on my 2019 LM400 but would like to try something different.

No 3 is my latest project, a very shabby early 1970s Royal Star King Beat with dual strainer also without wires.

I`m excited to hear your advice.
Kind of a different direction but for both my Supras I use the Gibraltar 42 band snare. Not as quality as PureSound but I love the sensitivity it provides and I think blends well with aluminum shells. Haven’t found any other brands with as thick a band.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
For the King Beat, you’re pretty limited. The ‘best’ bet (following new old stock vintage ones, which are RARE) are these replicas.

i have an original set of these if you’re interested.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m a (recent) fan of 12-strand wires. Bought a ‘79 Black Beauty a couple of months ago that came with them installed. Perfect mix of snare and shell sound, with the added benefit of less sympathetic buzz when playing the toms.

BNK

Reaction score
I'm a recent convert to Puresound Pro 16 strand wires on all my metal drums, allows for more of the shell's sound to come through.

Also use the Puresound 20 strand Custom Pro wires on all my wood snares and love the brightness they add.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
My all time favorite snare wires are Gretsch 20 strand wires. There is something special about these wires...they sound fat and feel great. They have sounded great on every drum I have put them on and that number is well over 200 different snare drums of all kinds of shell materials and different companies. That said, Canopus chrome plated wires are a close second for me.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My all time favorite snare wires are Gretsch 20 strand wires. There is something special about these wires...they sound fat and feel great. They have sounded great on every drum I have put them on and that number is well over 200 different snare drums of all kinds of shell materials and different companies. That said, Canopus chrome plated wires are a close second for me.
Do you set them up with strings or straps?

Latest posts