Your "sleeper" cymbal(s)?

markkarj

Reaction score
Ever had a cymbal that you bought with different (or low) expectations but has turned out to work quite well?

I bought an Istanbul Agop XIST 17" crash on a clearance. The main purpose was to pair it with a 17" Lenny White Epoch for a monster pair of hats.

On its own, the 17 XIST is a very "mature" sounding crash... not brash, responsive at low volume. The mature tone reminds a bit of an 18" Zildjian Rock Crash that I traded years ago, except easier to play at lower volumes.

Last edited:

felis

Reaction score
Sabian APX 24" ride.

'Sleeper' in the sense that I don't think most people would expect it to sound as good as it does, and also few would expect it to be an excellent all arounder.
I tried it first, and wouldn't have bought it if I had low expectations for it.

markkarj

Reaction score
I've done an edit to note different in addition to low expectations. While I am normally very choosy about the cymbals I buy, I made an exception when the former Canadian distributor for Istanbul Agop had a clearance sale on their remaining inventory. I bought many cymbals unheard which turned out to be terrific additions to my collection. But I did have to slightly suspend my preferences and take calculated bets on what I was buying.

markkarj

Reaction score
Sabian APX 24" ride.

'Sleeper' in the sense that I don't think most people would expect it to sound as good as it does, and also few would expect it to be an excellent all arounder.
I tried it first, and wouldn't have bought it if I had low expectations for it.
Modern Drummer's review of the 24 was quite positive of the cymbal. It continues to interest me how North American manufacturers rarely seem to use B8 for more pro-quality cymbals, with lines like the APX excepted.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Let week I took a gamble on a vintage 22” RUDE ride/crash just because I was looking to complete a set of RUDE’s. For poops & giggles I brought it along on an acoustic singer/songwriter gig Friday night and it was killer! It certainly isn’t a “man-hole cover” that the RUDE series implies. It had a killer dark undertone and the perfect amount of stick without being overly pingy.

lcondo123

Reaction score
I bought a drum set that came with a whole set of hardware and cymbals, and the right side ride was some mid 60's SUPER brand cymbal made in Switzerland. The previous drummer hit the cymbal in the same exact spot for so many decades that there's about a 4" circular area of the cymbal that is dented inward from years of being hit - it looks like it got hammered there. I had no expectation for the cymbal, as it sounded like junk when I tapped it with my fingers.

I ended up bringing it to a gig for the hell of it, and in a live setting, it's incredible. It has a super dry 'THWASH' that contrasts really well with my usual BL Paiste 2002/602 rig.

Looking forward to incorporating it into my set of white label Giant Beats headed my way. It's janky, but that's why it's cool!

Attachments

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Zildjian Z-MAC (Multiple Application Cymbals) are mostly marketed to high school & college band directors
They're applicable for almost any school music genre, orchestral to jazz band. They're offered in Avedis or K series.
I have two Z-MAC rides (one A, one K) that I've used for a wide variety of stuff over many years. True "do it all" cymbals, IMHO

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wuhan splash cymbals, 8 & 10" Hard to beat the sound. and the price.
First time I heard a 16" Wuhan thin crash I could have sworn it was a Zildjian A. The 19" medium thin Wuhan ride/crash that came with the 16" was surprisingly good too. Wobbly and Wild with a touch of trashiness....definitely good for jazzing.

Last edited:

Johnny K

Reaction score
First time I heard a 16" Wuhan thin crash I could have sworn it was a Zildjian A. The 19" medium thin Wuhan ride/crash that came with the 16" was surprisingly too. Wobbly and Wild with a touch of trashiness....definitely good for jazzing.
I have a Wuhan 16" thin crash and it's really good. Might be better than my 16" K Fast Crash, but I'm too much of a ZIldjian snob to confrim it. The 19" Wuhan crash I have is terrible. But the 18" Crash/Ride is pretty decent, as is the 20 Med Heavy ride. I have it taped up to cut the wash. I have a 21" Med Heavy with rivets, that I want to give a 2nd chance to, if our band does some more Miles Davis tunes.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Zildjian Z-MAC (Multiple Application Cymbals) are mostly marketed to high school & college band directors
They're applicable for almost any school music genre, orchestral to jazz band. They're offered in Avedis or K series.
I have two Z-MAC rides (one A, one K) that I've used for a wide variety of stuff over many years. True "do it all" cymbals, IMHO
Weird, all of the ones that I played were SUPER heavyweight and crashed like a gong. Decent pingy sound though.

markkarj

Reaction score
That's interesting. I saw a used K ZMAC at Just Drums a couple of years ago. Clearly a good cymbal, but just not quite my taste.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Weird, all of the ones that I played were SUPER heavyweight and crashed like a gong. Decent pingy sound though.
Naturally, they were offered in various weights. Some are probably more suitable for outdoor marching applications.
The 2 I own are thin and med-thin rides, very responsive.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not sure if it's considered a sleeper, but there was a 21" UFIP class series crash on amazon cheap that I figured I'd snag and selll. It crashes nicely and it's beautiful as a ride. It's now a keeper and may be my favorite cymbal. (Of course, now I have to check out other UFIP Class series cymbals...you know how that goes.)

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been after a K ZMAC since you got yours, there was one on ebay a few weeks ago I was watching and then forgot about it. 20" K ZMAC $89 plus shipping!

FormerPNV

Reaction score
A $140 Sabian 21" SR2 "heavy" ride that Sabian later confirmed was very likely one of only a few 21" Paragon ride prototypes they made. It's a great, versatile cymbal, just ugly.

Reactions: dtk

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been after a K ZMAC since you got yours, there was one on ebay a few weeks ago I was watching and then forgot about it. 20" K ZMAC $89 plus shipping!
There’s been an 18” K ZMAC listed on my local CL for ages now. $100, IIRC.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got a full set of Dream Bliss pies a couple years ago I already owned two 20” Bliss rides and a 24” small bell whatever-they’re-called ride, so I knew what to expect. Included in the bundle, though, was a 19” Vintage Bliss Crash... Holy caca, that cymbal is awesome! It opens up with this incredible low, lush wash that I’ve never found in another line of cymbals. I ended up selling all the other Dreams, but I kept the VB.

Latest posts