Your "sleeper" cymbal(s)?

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I have low expectations I’m not buying it
This, most of the time. As for leepers in the sense of "under the radar", I' d also mention some Chinese-made ones, Dream and Stagg. Not saying they all sound rgeat - but that's the case with Z and S as well. Th Staggs I got have a real smooth, American-stlye sound, nothing trashy about them.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of 15" Istanbul Agop XIST hi hats. I think I paid $175 for them and I'm always impressed when I put them up. Great stick sound, great wash...love 'em.

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I ran across a Zildjian 16" Crash/Ride that is surprisingly versatile then the bassplayer knocked it over and it cracked!
Lo and behold,i found a Sabian C/R,16", they could have been twins,still use it in acoustic settings.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I bought a drum set that came with a whole set of hardware and cymbals, and the right side ride was some mid 60's SUPER brand cymbal made in Switzerland. The previous drummer hit the cymbal in the same exact spot for so many decades that there's about a 4" circular area of the cymbal that is dented inward from years of being hit - it looks like it got hammered there. I had no expectation for the cymbal, as it sounded like junk when I tapped it with my fingers.

I ended up bringing it to a gig for the hell of it, and in a live setting, it's incredible. It has a super dry 'THWASH' that contrasts really well with my usual BL Paiste 2002/602 rig.

Looking forward to incorporating it into my set of white label Giant Beats headed my way. It's janky, but that's why it's cool!
I have a beat up 20" Made in Japan cymbal that I love and sounds just like your describing, dent and all.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought a 20" Ascend by LP ride cymbal...made in Italy. $40 shipped. Looks like an Atlas. Respectable high quality generic ride with an awesome bell.

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
Years ago I bought a 16” Saluda Crash cymbal. Still not sure of the line but it sounded better than the Zildjian A Custom I was replacing it with and way cheaper. I bought it used and can’t remember how much I paid but it was not a lot.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My Zildjian hollow logo Deep Ride from the late 70s.
My first real ride cymbal and I still have it today.
I've probably owned 20-30 rides since then.
It is still probably my favorite.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Oh sure. I only bought my Agop Traditional Medium Ride because the seller needed cash and offered me a good price. Lo and behold, it's my main ride, and I'm not parting with it unless/until I find something better.

In my experience, the reverse is more common, namely that I buy a cymbal with high expectations only to sour on it.

Dougie Stix

Reaction score
Wuhan splash cymbals, 8 & 10" Hard to beat the sound. and the price.
Hahaha! I was instantly thinking of the Wuhan for this thread. I'm thinking of it as a sleeper because it's rather small looking, but my god is it loud when you hit it. It feels like it's shredding my ear drums....wait, it probably actually is.....

Johnny K

Reaction score
Hahaha! I was instantly thinking of the Wuhan for this thread. I'm thinking of it as a sleeper because it's rather small looking, but my god is it loud when you hit it. It feels like it's shredding my ear drums....wait, it probably actually is.....
I hate to admit this, but the 8 & 10" Wuhans sound way better than my recently aquired 8 & 10" Zildjian K splashes. WTF Zildjian? Also I think my 16" Wuhan thin crash might be punching above it weight against my 16" K Custom Fast Crash.

Last edited: