Your Streaming Gigs

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The future is here. I have one coming up in October so I thought I'd get the ball rolling.
Post a link with date and time to your streaming gigs. All genres.

Last edited:

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Sinc ........

I agree, "the future is here" ............. with some caveats .......

I'm just coming off a whole long summer of tech'ing weekly streaming shows for the Healdsburg Jazz Festival. Not my gigs, alas ......... but each featured a really great solid local group. But I will say that every one of the shows had at least one serious glitch, despite our best efforts to "dot all the "i's" and cross all the "t's" ........ I'm talking about a pretty serious effort, using a dedicated PC running OBS, a ATEM switcher, 4 cameras, and a really good sound guy with a full complement of mics and plenty of experience mixing jazz shows. We also sprung for the Vimeo "pro" CDN service; the producer did not want to use Facebook Live or YouTube. Still, we experienced every problem imaginable from total lack of audio to video/audio sync totally out; the last show (last Fri) we had the Vimeo feed itself drop out just at show downbeat. I think you might be able to view some of the HJF shows by searching on Vimeo.

I guess my advice is: get your stream up and running early, and immediately check its integrity by "tuning in" as if you were a consumer. That way, you can catch any sync problems right at the gitgo ..... and re-launch if need be. I think we were victims of trying to make it all too "professional"; most of the folks around here locally are succeeding with more modest expectations re production value. They use the "virtual tip jar" and are having good response, with little blowback when the inevitable problems crop up.

Best of luck with your efforts!!

Mike

Last edited:

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike. Sorry to hear of the difficulties you had streaming the shows.
So far I've payed two with two different bands, and will do a third on Oct 22 that I'll post a link to here. Of course I had nothing to do with the technical end. Both were streamed on YT and FB and seemed fine. Even got paid via the tip jar. Better luck in the future.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've done maybe 5 streaming gigs over the past month or so. Most were shot on an iPhone with an upgraded microphone. Generally things worked well, except for one gig where the leader failed to bring a backup battery. Each of these got a lot of views -at least 300. The first one had 900+.

I did another at An Die Musik in Baltimore on Saturday night That was pro shot and engineered. I can't show it here, alas, although you could go to their site and buy access to the link.

All paid at least what I'd have made on a typical 3 or 4 hour gig; I only played for 2 hours or less. Generating income seems to be a function of the leaders - heck, all of us - marketing aggressively and having a long term social media presence.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Guys - great to hear that you've had success with your live streaming events. And I would add that the folks I know up here in NorCal who have also had better results were using a more modest approach than we did: in a couple of cases, just a single iPhone linked directly to Facebook Live or YouTube. I suspect that our producer caught a bad case of "big eyes"; I had argued for using FB Live and two cameras. The complications creep in when you use software encoding (OBS, in our case), and a fancier content delivery platform (Vimeo, in our case).

Very best of luck with your future efforts! We are done as of this Saturday - a really big deal featuring Charles Lloyd, Zakir Hussain, and Julian Lage. The producer has hired a pro team to come in and replace the volunteers who have done the previous 12 shows.

If anyone is interested, go to the Healdsburg Jazz Festival website and sign up to view this show .... it should be great! I do warn, however: I'm pretty sure there is a mandatory "donation" involved this time, unlike all the other shows which have been free to view.

Mike

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Guys - great to hear that you've had success with your live streaming events. And I would add that the folks I know up here in NorCal who have also had better results were using a more modest approach than we did: in a couple of cases, just a single iPhone linked directly to Facebook Live or YouTube. I suspect that our producer caught a bad case of "big eyes"; I had argued for using FB Live and two cameras. The complications creep in when you use software encoding (OBS, in our case), and a fancier content delivery platform (Vimeo, in our case).

Very best of luck with your future efforts! We are done as of this Saturday - a really big deal featuring Charles Lloyd, Zakir Hussain, and Julian Lage. The producer has hired a pro team to come in and replace the volunteers who have done the previous 12 shows.

If anyone is interested, go to the Healdsburg Jazz Festival website and sign up to view this show .... it should be great! I do warn, however: I'm pretty sure there is a mandatory "donation" involved this time, unlike all the other shows which have been free to view.

Mike
There should be a donation. In any case, it'll be a lot cheaper that having driven to the event, bought a ticket and maybe a meal, drinks, etc.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Something else to consider on such gigs, especailly if you havent seen them for months due to socail disancing. Unless you've already got Jack Trip (musicianstogetherapart.com) up and running for all involved, it's possible the leader may want to run through some tunes before going live. So, you might need to plan on an extra hour or so up front for that purpose. Ask the question if such a call comes.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There should be a donation. In any case, it'll be a lot cheaper that having driven to the event, bought a ticket and maybe a meal, drinks, etc.

Absolutely agree ............. the only reason I mention it at all is that many live streams (most?) are free, with "virtual tip jars" of some sort. These events are also a form of self-promotion. All good ......

In the special case of this coming Saturday's HJF offering: these are some of the best musicians on the planet at this time, headed by the legendary Charles Lloyd ........ arguably one of the most famous living jazz musicians.

I hope a few of our Forum members tune in; I know several have taken part in the Zoom presentations that the Festival also sponsors.

Mike

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
will any limit be placed on the jokes allowed in this thread? need to know upfront.
You are allowed an UNLIMITED amount of jokes if you're making them about your own stream. There will be NO jokes allowed about anyone else's stream... except yours. See what I did there Joe?

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I have three gigs in October, two in person and one live stream. The Live stream is Oct 23rd. I'll post a link when I have one.

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
Not really a streaming show gig, but an internet radio broadcast of my band's latest CD
which we had recorded earlier this month...

The VaVaVoodoos "Apocalypse WoW!" (Garage-rock, from Albany NY)

FRONT_COVER.jpg

BACK___COVERRR.jpg

The broadcast can be heard at RadioradioX https://radioradiox.com/
located in Waterford NY, by host Art Fredette ... tonight at 6pm EDT.

This will be our first on-air broadcast debut of our new CD.
In the meantime we're having the finished master disc reproduced
and it will be ready for distro and on sale by next month,
and I will post it in the general sales section or wherever band CDs
may be posted in the forum (if admin's permission be granted)

Our CD will be played in its entirety (9 songs), plus a few songs from
my band's previous 4-song CD, and maybe one or two songs from
back in the days with my band's previous drummers waaay before
I had joined them last summer.

Recorded and produced by Don Fury, and The VaVaVoodoos
at Don Fury Studios in Troy NY, Oct 4 2020.
The band was recorded live in the studio to 2-track stereo.

Don Fury is well-known from back in the old-school NY Hardcore scene
having produced albums by bands such as Agnostic Front,
Gorilla Biscuits, and Into Another. Since then he has taken up residency
in Troy NY where he continues his studio work, having recently
produced The Erotics new CD album "Let's Kill Rock-n-Roll"
and of course two CD albums by my band The VaVaVoodoos.

---------------

@admin1 if this post is inappropriate for this topic please let me know
so that I can remove this post asap. Thanks.

Last edited: